Decoder info wanted

  • Geoff Brunner
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2010
      This may sound like a dumb question but how does a decoder know or get progarmed to know what engine it is in?
    • brianb973
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2010
        Geoff,

        From the factory the decoder is programmed as loco #3. So you can run it as that or once you get control of it you can change the loco number per the instructions in your manual.

        Hope this helps,
        Brian

      • backshop@pacbell.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 11, 2010
          The airwire decoder is just like anyother DCC decoder, the default address in #3 (NMRA standard) You will need to manually program a new address into your decoder if you want something different. You will want to change the value of CV1 to the new loco number you want. That could be anything from 0 to 9999 it you are using a AirWire handset. I am not sure what address the Gwire system will support.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 12, 2010
            And the other answer is: since the Airwire decoder already has a pre-programmed address [3], for the 1st version RF1300 Transmitter, there are 8 frequencies that can be selected by flipping the DIP switches in the Transmitter and rotating the round switch on the Decoder Board to be the same. Thus one Transmitter controller, can control as many engines as you want. However, you have to program each engine one at a time [*1*, #XXXX#]. The advantage is the engine will 'beep' when the command takes, and you know you have it ready to go (un-like the newer T9000 Transmitter). With the kids, I have found that each having their own separate RF1300 and train works very well.

            The 2nd generation newer version T9000, with digital display screen, can pre-store each and every engine you have ahead of time [#], [XXXX]. [#]. Thus rotate the Transmitter knob to the engine you want to run today [SHOW], [1], [rotate knob], [#]. Supposedly, one can pre-program 9999 engines, but it gets real confusing (especially if you have kids) and who is lucky enough to have 9999 engines? Doug