USA PA1 PB1

  • rcs17950
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
      Guys, I have have just purchased a new PA1 PB1 set from USA trains and I am trying to figure out how to set up the twin engines for the least amount of money. I have done a FA1 FB1 set by utilizing the b unit as a dummy battery car by removing the motors. I used only one receiver and sound board which is sufficient for the way I'm using them. I plan on using the PAs for long heavy weight and streamline cars so i would like to keep all the motors. Can i use just one airwire receiver to run all of the motors in both units via MU plugs between the engines. I am planning only on sound card as well. If anybody has any incite on this or another way of doing this. Money is an issue with this.

      Thanks Rich
    • BobPCRCD@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
        Rich,
        The Airwire receiver wil handle an A-B set. You can put batteries in both
        engines and run two wires forward between the engines to carry the battery
        voltage to the receiver. Then a second pair of wires back to the B unit to
        power the motors. We have done several A-B sets using this setup with
        Airwire and a Phoenix Sound board. With full width bodies, its is very easy to
        put 10 Ah of battery power in each locomotive using D cell NiMh batteries in
        a permanent installation. A charging jack in the rear or bottom of each
        locomotive is all that is necessary for recharging. We do recommend a switch
        in both units to isolate the batteries from the electronics when recharging.
        Also a fuse in each locomotive is essential to protect the electronics.

        Bob Ferguson
        Garden Railroad Supply Company

        In a message dated 3/16/2010 6:03:55 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        rcs17950@... writes:

        Guys, I have have just purchased a new PA1 PB1 set from USA trains and I am
        trying to figure out how to set up the twin engines for the least amount
        of money. I have done a FA1 FB1 set by utilizing the b unit as a dummy
        battery car by removing the motors. I used only one receiver and sound board
        which is sufficient for the way I'm using them. I plan on using the PAs for
        long heavy weight and streamline cars so i would like to keep all the motors.
        Can i use just one airwire receiver to run all of the motors in both units
        via MU plugs between the engines. I am planning only on sound card as
        well. If anybody has any incite on this or another way of doing this. Money is
        an issue with this.

        Thanks Rich

      • Joel Waterman
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
          Should be no problem - we have ised one receiver for an A-B-A with all units powered.

          As per AirWire instructions, use 18ga wire for battery to receiver and receiver to other power unit.  Also use substantial plugs between unuts with soldered connectors (not crimped).  We use the same ones used by the R/C cars.  This helps to ensure both units get the same voltage with lower resistance in the wiring.

          use as many battery sets as you want, but put in a switch and fuse for each one.

          Joel Waterman
          Rushbury Valley Railroad
          Burlington, Ontario
          rushbury_valley@...

          Guys, I have have just purchased a new PA1 PB1 set from USA trains and I am trying to figure out how to set up the twin engines for the least amount of money. I have done a FA1 FB1 set by utilizing the b unit as a dummy battery car by removing the motors. I used only one receiver and sound board which is sufficient for the way I'm using them. I plan on using the PAs for long heavy weight and streamline cars so i would like to keep all the motors. Can i use just one airwire receiver to run all of the motors in both units via MU plugs between the engines. I am planning only on sound card as well. If anybody has any incite on this or another way of doing this. Money is an issue with this.

          Thanks Rich

        • RICHARD SEGAL
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
            Thank You but still a little unclear about the batteries. I run 14.4 nmH , with a A+B set will i need two sets of 14.4  battery packs , one for each unit and then power the receiver with 28 volts or deliver 14 4 at a higher amp rating.
            Thanks

            From: rcs17950 <rcs17950@yahoo. com>

            To: AirWire@yahoogroups .com

            Guys, I have have just purchased a new PA1 PB1 set from USA trains and I am trying to figure out how to set up the twin engines for the least amount of money. I have done a FA1 FB1 set by utilizing the b unit as a dummy battery car by removing the motors. I used only one receiver and sound board which is sufficient for the way I'm using them. I plan on using the PAs for long heavy weight and streamline cars so i would like to keep all the motors. Can i use just one airwire receiver to run all of the motors in both units via MU plugs between the engines. I am planning only on sound card as well. If anybody has any incite on this or another way of doing this. Money is an issue with this.

            Thanks Rich

            Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail. yahoo.ca

          • Joel Waterman
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
              Hi Richard;

              We usually install 14.4 battery packs, and usually only one.  In a PA1 you would have room for a pack of 12 D cells (10 amp-hours) with room to spare.  That would power one AirWire card which would then feed both engines and a Phoenix sound system (with up to two speakers).  It would run your train for 4-6 hours, more with lenghty station stops.

              If you want to install a second battery pack in the space in the other unit, wire them so you are only using one pack at a time, and switch over to the second pack when (if) the first pack starts to slow down.

              We do not recommend using 2 packs in parallel because the lower voltage pack will drain down the other pack, whenever they are both turned on.  Battery packs rarely have exactly matching voltages in the price ranges hobbiests tend to favour.

              I would not wire them in series because at 28.8 volts (which is actually about 30 volts) you are pushing the limits of the AirWire card.

              Joel Waterman
              Rushbury Valley Railroad
              Burlington, Ontario
              rushbury_valley@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 17, 2010
                Thank You so much for the help you cleared this up completely for me.

                From: RICHARD SEGAL <rcs17950@yahoo. com>

                To: AirWire@yahoogroups .com

                From: Joel Waterman <rushbury_valley@ yahoo.com>

                To: AirWire@yahoogroups .com

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 23, 2010
                  If you want to use 2 sets of batteries at the same time like we do, use a diode in the output of each battery set to isolate them from each other. That way, you can have 16 to 20 AH capacity without throwing any switches to change between the packs. Doing this will double your run time vs using a single battery pack. On my F3 ABA set, I will be running 3 battery packs, all tied together with diodes. BYW, 14.4 volts seems to be just fine for USA locomotives.