function control

  • jason
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hey Guys,
      I have a t9000 tx and a g2 rx. My problem is that the functions stick horn won't stop when released, bell and other functions won't stop unless I push button 4-5 times if then. Is there anything wrong with it or is this normal for airwire?
      Thanks Jason
    • serabill
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
        Does this happen even at close range? The ost common cause for this problem is that your moror(s) are causing a lot of radio interference and that noise is disrupting the signal from the transmitter to the receiver.

        What brand of engine are you using this on?
      • jason
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
          It's not in an engine yet it will eventually be in a aristo gp40. I just hooked it up to a 9.6v battery and a qsi magnum sound decoder to program everything before installing it. It does the same thing from 2 feet away to about 30 feet away.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
            Sorry, I was assuming that you were using an AirWire receiver and an external sound board. I have no idea what the problem is with your QSI system. This is NOT a transmitter problem.
          • Joel Waterman
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
              I have no experience with the QSI decoder, but would question the battery voltage you are using.  Is 9.6 volts enough to power the decoder?

              Joel Waterman
              Rushbury Valley Railroad
              rushbury_valley@...

              It's not in an engine yet it will eventually be in a aristo gp40. I just hooked it up to a 9.6v battery and a qsi magnum sound decoder to program everything before installing it. It does the same thing from 2 feet away to about 30 feet away.

              --- In AirWire@yahoogroups .com, "serabill" <bill_swindell@ ...> wrote:

              > Does this happen even at close range? The ost common cause for this problem is that your moror(s) are causing a lot of radio interference and that noise is disrupting the signal from the transmitter to the receiver.
              >
              > What brand of engine are you using this on?

            • rpc7271
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
                I have the same problem and it seams to be a common one. This is not the first time I have heard someone complain about the horn sticking. I have QSI receivers in a GP 40, an Aristo Pacific, 3 UBoats and an FA. They all do the same thing. The horn sticks. I have reprogramed the transmitter to usa a different button for the horn with no good result. I have the new NCE/QSI tramsmitter and it does the same thing. The hork sticks. I have just gotten into the habit that then it sticks push the F3 button a couple of times and that usually stops the horn. I think the problem is either in the receiver chip on the receiver or in the programing. If you ever find out what the problem is and how to fix it please let me know.
              • serabill
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
                  This definitely describes a radio interference problem. This is not a transmitter problem. When motor noise interferes with the received signal, the function button signal is messed up. The motor speed control works in this case since the speed command is continuously repeated.

                • PiManJC@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
                    I also have the identical problem with multiple QSIs, used with either the
                    AW T-9000 or the NCE ProCab.
                    Perhaps a solution to the issue would be to record a .Wav file of two
                    toots or three toots and assign them an F-function using the QSI programmer.
                    Jim Carter

                  • Roger Crooks
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 2, 2009
                      The QSI decoders have a standard grade crossig horn blast programed into them. I think it is function 12.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 2, 2009
                        I had this problem and talked to my installed, Mike Greenwood of Throttle Up Inc and here is what he says about the problem:
                        <quote>
                        The issue with the bell or whistle sticking, or not responding when the F1 or F2 key is pressed has nothing to do with the QSI decoder or the AirWire decoders with Phoenix sound. Both AirWire and QSI decoders have exhibited the same phenomenon. The issue actually is a result of the prioritizing of commands sent from the throttle to the receiver module following the DCC standard. Speed and direction commands have priority over the function commands. This is part of the NMRA DCC standard, and because of this the function commands are not always received.

                        The new "NCE G-Wire Cab" throttle does have the ability to send multiple function "off" commands to eliminate this problem and can be easily programmed by performing the following steps.

                        With the throttle "ON" and in the "Normal" operating mode,
                        Press the "PROG/ESC" key until you see the menu option
                        "SET CMD STATION", then press the "ENTER" key to select.
                        continue to press the "ENTER" key until you see "NUMBER OF ACC PKTS:
                        Enter a new number like "12" and press "ENTER".
                        Next you will see "NUMBER HORN OFF PKT", enter "12" again.
                        At this point you can press the "PROG/ESC" key to exit the programming mode.

                        By making these changes, you are telling the throttle to send multiple control packets to the receiver, the idea being that one of them should get through.

                        Unfortunately at this time their is no adjustment for the AirWire throttles.
                        <unquote>
                        You can contact Mike at http://www.throttleupinc.com/Site/Home.html

                        --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "serabill" <bill_swindell@...> wrote:

                        > This definitely describes a radio interference problem. This is not a transmitter problem. When motor noise interferes with the received signal, the function button signal is messed up. The motor speed control works in this case since the speed command is continuously repeated.
                        >
                        > --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "rpc7271" <rpc7271@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I have the same problem and it seams to be a common one. This is not the first time I have heard someone complain about the horn sticking. I have QSI receivers in a GP 40, an Aristo Pacific, 3 UBoats and an FA. They all do the same thing. The horn sticks. I have reprogramed the transmitter to usa a different button for the horn with no good result. I have the new NCE/QSI tramsmitter and it does the same thing. The hork sticks. I have just gotten into the habit that then it sticks push the F3 button a couple of times and that usually stops the horn. I think the problem is either in the receiver chip on the receiver or in the programing. If you ever find out what the problem is and how to fix it please let me know.

                      • Stan Ames
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 2, 2009
                          Just a minor correction

                          “Speed and direction commands have priority over the function commands.
                          This is part of the NMRA DCC standard, and because of this the function
                          commands are not always received.”

                          This is a false statement. There is nothing about priority in the
                          standard. This is a command station and decoder issue.

                          Some functions do not need an off because the function off timing is in
                          the decoder itself. Other functions can have an of timer in the decoder
                          that triggers if another on function is not received. Both of these
                          techniques work well for some function types (such as an uncoupler) but
                          not for other function types. A function such as a whistle has a very
                          long variability and often works best with both an on and an off to
                          provide for that variability.

                          Many command stations have function commands at the highest priority
                          because the ear and eye impact to having a function turn on or off is
                          must be done with much finer granularity then a speed step change.

                          With RC, commands can be lost so refresh is an important design criteria.

                          From the reports I would judge that you have both a decoder and command
                          station issue here. The decoder should turn off the function if an "on"
                          repeat is not received in a set time and the command station needs to
                          send "off" commands with a higher priority and greater frequency.

                          Stan Ames

                          Founder of the NMRA DCC standards effort
                        • rcs17950
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                            I have had this problem and corrected it by installing sheilded cable and soldering directly to the motor brushes and conecting the sheilding to terminal #7 on the large terminal strip to bleed off exess back RF interference. I seemed that the motors were interfering with the receiver. So far so good.

                            Good Luck,

                            Rich