Airwire & Track Power

  • Ralph Luby
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hi

      I am a new member and also new to G Gauge 1/29. I
      would like to go with the Airwire system but use dc
      track power. Talking to Al at Airwire it appears that
      it is either not possible or it is difficult to do.

      Apparently the big hurdle is in regards to rail
      polarity since the decoder will always want the
      positive feed on the same rail. If the diesel is
      running in one direction and you physically pick the
      unit up and put it back on the rails going in the
      opposite direction Al tells me it will ruin the decoder.
      The same thing would happen on wyes and reverse loops.

      Has anyone done what I would like to do and stay
      with dc track power so as to have continuous running.

      Ralph Luby
      York, ME
    • Gary Nichols
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006
        Ralph,
        If you are just looking for "DCC" features, and track power, why not
        just use Locolinc or Digitrax? Both can be used with track power. Gary
      • jonathan bliese
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006
          Ralph, It can be done, but will require electronics knowledge. You will need
          to install a large bridge rectifier, to control the polarity. In addition a,
          large filter capacitor will be needed. This point depends on the quality of
          your dc supply and the quality of the motors used in the loco you convert.
          Finally, because you will have active track sliders/electrical pickups, you
          may experience noise problems which will require additional filtering. This
          factor is greatly affected by loco motor quality also, as there are some
          large scale products sold with VERY poor quality motors(read cheap).When you
          add in the hassle factor of track cleaning, track continuity, cost of large
          power supply, and cost of good quality connectors, battery is actually
          easier.

          Jonathan/Electric Model works

          I am a new member and also new to G Gauge 1/29. I
          would like to go with the Airwire system but use dc
          track power. Talking to Al at Airwire it appears that
          it is either not possible or it is difficult to do.

          Apparently the big hurdle is in regards to rail
          polarity since the decoder will always want the
          positive feed on the same rail. If the diesel is
          running in one direction and you physically pick the
          unit up and put it back on the rails going in the
          opposite direction Al tells me it will ruin the decoder.
          The same thing would happen on wyes and reverse loops.

          Has anyone done what I would like to do and stay
          with dc track power so as to have continuous running.

          Ralph Luby
          York, ME

          Model
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Model+train+n+scale&w1=Model+train+n+sc
          ale&w2=G+scale+model+train&w3=N+scale+train+set&w4=N+scale+trains&w5=G+scale
          +train&w6=Ho+scale+model+train&c=6&s=138&.sig=TTRsB8eVYpXwhlzqhfqpbw> train
          n scale

          ale&w2=G+scale+model+train&w3=N+scale+train+set&w4=N+scale+trains&w5=G+scale
          +train&w6=Ho+scale+model+train&c=6&s=138&.sig=gdf2ppJw2heAt3CXetoURw> scale
          model train

          e&w2=G+scale+model+train&w3=N+scale+train+set&w4=N+scale+trains&w5=G+scale+t
          rain&w6=Ho+scale+model+train&c=6&s=138&.sig=TJb76tqiNCvhr9vBJmMSWA> scale
          train set

          2=G+scale+model+train&w3=N+scale+train+set&w4=N+scale+trains&w5=G+scale+trai
          n&w6=Ho+scale+model+train&c=6&s=138&.sig=t4JPVYlr9CRZXMu6eLokag> scale
          trains

          =G+scale+model+train&w3=N+scale+train+set&w4=N+scale+trains&w5=G+scale+train
          &w6=Ho+scale+model+train&c=6&s=138&.sig=2DrQISPGoKcP9IgwqQ765g> scale train

          Ho
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+model+train&w1=Model+train+n+s
          cale&w2=G+scale+model+train&w3=N+scale+train+set&w4=N+scale+trains&w5=G+scal
          e+train&w6=Ho+scale+model+train&c=6&s=138&.sig=HWzYtqrq7j2XuwKIEf46jA>
          scale model train

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          " on the web.

          _____

        • jonathan bliese
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006
            Loco linc is a straight r/c system, not conforming to any dcc protocol. It
            does have the ability to be dual powered however, track and battery.

            Jonathan

            If you are just looking for "DCC" features, and track power, why not
            just use Locolinc or Digitrax? Both can be used with track power. Gary

            Ho
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+model+train&w1=Ho+scale+model+
            train&w2=N+scale+trains&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=G+scale+train&w5=N+scale+t
            rain+set&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=138&.sig=SGDQTycVQNRYvfybXRlDLg>
            scale model train

            w2=N+scale+trains&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=G+scale+train&w5=N+scale+train+s
            et&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=138&.sig=5n4QVO3S0Xz2TskriK4jxQ> scale
            trains

            rain&w2=N+scale+trains&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=G+scale+train&w5=N+scale+tr
            ain+set&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=138&.sig=kJn2gYPIhdpptZPIj4WmUA> scale
            model train

            2=N+scale+trains&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=G+scale+train&w5=N+scale+train+se
            t&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=138&.sig=q6mVL8NgWIhQmtaNy7eFDQ> scale train

            in&w2=N+scale+trains&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=G+scale+train&w5=N+scale+trai
            n+set&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=138&.sig=HQTqvzcfsy92wyqH_J4DvQ> scale
            train set

            Model
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Model+train+n+scale&w1=Ho+scale+model+t
            rain&w2=N+scale+trains&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=G+scale+train&w5=N+scale+tr
            ain+set&w6=Model+train+n+scale&c=6&s=138&.sig=livQ0FKpgL98f_uUcaUo0g> train
            n scale

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            " on the web.

            _____

          • BobPCRCD@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006
              In a message dated 6/1/2006 1:41:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
              gnichols@... writes:

              Ralph,
              If you are just looking for "DCC" features, and track power, why not
              just use Locolinc or Digitrax? Both can be used with track power. Gary

              Ralph, if you don't want to have to walk with your train, give more
              consideration to batteries and Airwire. Transmission range is an issue with Locolinc,
              RCS, Digitrax, etc. that Airwire has overcome.

              Bob F.

            • Bill Swindell
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                SInce you were talking with Al and he didn't encourage you, I suspect
                he does not really want to support what you are doing.

                As far as can you do it, the answer is yes. I have run my AirWire
                engine from track power with the batteries turned off. Do I think you
                should do it, the answer is no. Can it be done, I'm positive the
                answer is yes.

                First, the track power should be filtered DC. That way, you are not
                trying to use unfiltered DC in the engine. You will need a bridge
                rectifier that is big enough to run everything, say 10 amps at 35
                volts. This will allow for spikes and other unnatural happenings i n
                your power. Hook the bridge rectifier AC leads to the track. That
                will give you + and - DC no matter which way the locomotive is
                headed. Hook the + through a 10 amp fuse to the + input on the
                receiver. Hook the - directly to the - on the reciever. If you are
                going to exceed 18volts between the + and -, you will have to use a
                regulator to feed 12 volts to the receiver control circuit imput.

                You will still have to deal with polarity changes in reverse loops
                otherwise you will get a big short as the locomotive passes from one
                section to the next. This is the same as what you would need to do
                with DCC. Remember, this whole thing means that you need to clean the
                track. We who use batteries don't have to do that.

                One of the biggest issues with batteries is that too many people try
                to go cheap on the choice of batteries. GET BIG ONES! The minimum
                that I have ever put in a diesel is 8 AmpHours. They run for a long
                time.
              • Gary Nichols
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                  And,
                  One other thing to keep in mind... while track powered RC / DCC-ish
                  systems may seem convenient, ANY derailment with big, heavy, diecast / brass
                  / metal engines on powered track with a constant voltage applied will
                  normally cause your breakers to pop. So will a metal level, a misplaced
                  ruler or screwdriver, etc..
                  Gary
                • Ralph Luby
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                    Hi Bill

                    Thanks for your e-mail and suggestions in regards to
                    using Track Power and Airwire.

                    Here are a few notes on what I have for equipment and
                    am trying to do.

                    I sold a big HO collection and have recently put the
                    money towards getting into G gauge 1/29 scale.

                    I have the new Spectrum Power Supply from Bridgewerks
                    which is pure filtered DC that produces a full 10 amps
                    at 24 volts.

                    I have 6 Diesels from USA Trains, all have dual
                    motors.

                    I have an 11 unit USA Passenger Car set that is
                    lighted plus a number of freight cars all of which
                    have metal wheels.

                    I have just recently purchased 1 9000 Airwire Throttle
                    and 6 Decoders for the diesels only to find out that
                    they will not work on DC powered track.

                    I have over 800 feet of Aristo stainless track and 30
                    turnouts (manual at the moment but going to EZA air
                    controlled), 400 feet is suspended in my basement, it
                    then goes through a basement window to another 400
                    feet outdoors. I am using the EZ Air outside to avoid
                    electrical problems.

                    I have 4 electronic DC circuits to handle the 4
                    reverse loops I have in the layout.

                    Reading the current Airwire brochure I thought that
                    they already had an accessory decoder for turnouts. I
                    found out yesterday from Al at Airwire that they may
                    have one by the end of 2006.

                    I want to have good reception to at least 200 feet and
                    am told that the current DCC systems available are not
                    good for more than 100 feet.

                    I am retired and have plenty of free time and want to
                    have the ability to run continuously. I also feel
                    that radio control is the ultimate answer. I am
                    familiar with batteries since I own a number of Makita
                    battery operated tools. I also understand the passion
                    many of you have for battery powered trains and also
                    understand the downside of track power but want to
                    give it a shot if possible.

                    I live in an area where there are a lot of children
                    and have many of the older ones excited about running
                    trains this summer, thus the trains would be running
                    most of the day.

                    In reading the Airwire literature it mentions that
                    track wiring is possible. I felt that this was my
                    ultimate answer whereby I could radio control not only
                    the motive power but also all the turnouts. I feel
                    pretty confident that the proposed accessory decoders
                    may handle the solenoids for the air turnouts but the
                    diesels are another story.

                    In your suggestion you mention a bridge rectifier, If
                    I already have pure filtered DC what would the bridge
                    rectifier do, would it put AC on the track or would
                    the bridge rectifiers go in each diesel to prevent
                    reverse polarity being fed to the decoders?

                    There must be a way for an engine to receive pure DC
                    track power yet have a device that will not allow DC
                    reverse polarity from reaching the decoder.

                    I appreciate your time and felt that you and Jonathan
                    gave me some good suggestions. I would be happy to
                    also talk with you on the telephone on my nickel.

                    Ralph Luby

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Bill Swindell
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
                      The purpose of the bridge rectifier is to make sure the power going
                      to the AirWire receiver is always the correct polarity, no matter
                      which way the engine is going.

                      --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Luby <lubyralph@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > reciever. If you are
                      > > going to exceed 18volts between the + and -, you
                      > > will have to use a
                      > > regulator to feed 12 volts to the receiver control
                      > > circuit imput.
                      > >
                      > > You will still have to deal with polarity changes in
                      > > reverse loops
                      > > otherwise you will get a big short as the locomotive
                      > > passes from one
                      > > section to the next. This is the same as what you
                      > > would need to do
                      > > with DCC. Remember, this whole thing means that you
                      > > need to clean the
                      > > track. We who use batteries don't have to do that.
                      > >
                      > > One of the biggest issues with batteries is that too
                      > > many people try
                      > > to go cheap on the choice of batteries. GET BIG
                      > > ONES! The minimum
                      > > that I have ever put in a diesel is 8 AmpHours. They

                    • Bill Swindell
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 5, 2006
                        Ralph, I missed one of your qurstions. The bridge rectifier goes in
                        the locomotive.

                        --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Swindell" <bill_swindell@...>
                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > > > reciever. If you are
                        > > > going to exceed 18volts between the + and -, you
                        > > > will have to use a
                        > > > regulator to feed 12 volts to the receiver control
                        > > > circuit imput.
                        > > >
                        > > > You will still have to deal with polarity changes in
                        > > > reverse loops
                        > > > otherwise you will get a big short as the locomotive
                        > > > passes from one
                        > > > section to the next. This is the same as what you
                        > > > would need to do
                        > > > with DCC. Remember, this whole thing means that you
                        > > > need to clean the
                        > > > track. We who use batteries don't have to do that.
                        > > >
                        > > > One of the biggest issues with batteries is that too
                        > > > many people try
                        > > > to go cheap on the choice of batteries. GET BIG
                        > > > ONES! The minimum
                        > > > that I have ever put in a diesel is 8 AmpHours. They

                      • Robert Rose
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 23, 2006
                          --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Luby" <lubyralph@...> wrote:

                          > Hi
                          >
                          > I am a new member and also new to G Gauge 1/29. I
                          > would like to go with the Airwire system but use dc
                          > track power. Talking to Al at Airwire it appears that
                          > it is either not possible or it is difficult to do.
                          >
                          > Apparently the big hurdle is in regards to rail
                          > polarity since the decoder will always want the
                          > positive feed on the same rail. If the diesel is
                          > running in one direction and you physically pick the
                          > unit up and put it back on the rails going in the
                          > opposite direction Al tells me it will ruin the decoder.
                          > The same thing would happen on wyes and reverse loops.
                          >
                          > Has anyone done what I would like to do and stay
                          > with dc track power so as to have continuous running.
                          >
                          > Ralph Luby
                          > York, ME

                          Hi Ralph,

                          I have been using Air Wire with 24 VDC track power and it works very
                          well. It has been a while since your post and if you haven't found the
                          solution yet I will be glad to fill you in on the details of how I do
                          it, schematic and what ever you need.

                          Bob
                        • Ralph Luby
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 25, 2006
                            Hi Bob

                            Thanks for your reply.

                            I would love to discuss Airwire and track power. The
                            only thing I can figure out to use would be a bridge
                            rectifier in each diesel but I am not real good on the
                            electronics end. I would be happy to call you on my
                            nickel or you could give me a call at 207-361-4131 and
                            I could call you back. I have unlimited phone
                            service. I am retired and am normally at home. My
                            e-mail is lubyralph@... if that is more
                            convenient.

                            Thanks again

                            Ralph Luby

                            --- Robert Rose <sandyr2@...> wrote:

                            > --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Luby"
                            > <lubyralph@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi
                            > >
                            > > I am a new member and also new to G Gauge 1/29. I
                            > > would like to go with the Airwire system but use
                            > dc
                            > > track power. Talking to Al at Airwire it appears
                            > that
                            > > it is either not possible or it is difficult to
                            > do.
                            > >
                            > > Apparently the big hurdle is in regards to rail
                            > > polarity since the decoder will always want the
                            > > positive feed on the same rail. If the diesel is
                            > > running in one direction and you physically pick
                            > the
                            > > unit up and put it back on the rails going in the
                            > > opposite direction Al tells me it will ruin the
                            > decoder.
                            > > The same thing would happen on wyes and reverse
                            > loops.
                            > >
                            > > Has anyone done what I would like to do and stay
                            > > with dc track power so as to have continuous
                            > running.
                            > >
                            > > Ralph Luby
                            > > York, ME
                            >
                            > Hi Ralph,
                            >
                            > I have been using Air Wire with 24 VDC track power
                            > and it works very
                            > well. It has been a while since your post and if
                            > you haven't found the
                            > solution yet I will be glad to fill you in on the
                            > details of how I do
                            > it, schematic and what ever you need.
                            >
                            > Bob

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Robert Rose
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 26, 2006
                              >Hello Ralph,

                              I am a dedicated track power guy and can't see any good reason to
                              fool around with batteries. I am currently in the process of
                              replacing all my onboard TE equipment with Air Wire. After trying
                              just one it was clear to me that this was the way to go. I have no
                              idea why Air Wire doesn't like the idea of track power. Their
                              system requires certain voltages and it makes no difference if they
                              come from batteries, tracks or where ever. I am using Aristo
                              stainless steel track which doesn't require much cleaning and the
                              Air Wire system works quite well on track power.

                              Since all my locos are Aristo, I built a circuit board which plugs
                              into the onboard TE socket and provides leads to connect the Air
                              Wire receiver/decoder. This makes for an easy install as it
                              eliminates cutting or splicing wires in my locos. The same circuit
                              can be used in other manufactures locos as well however the leads in
                              the locos will have to be cut unless they have a socket for a
                              receiver.

                              Like you, I am retired, have virtually unlimited time and phone
                              service. I will be glad explain in detail the way I run the AW
                              system from track power and hopefully you can get going. I suggest
                              we get on the phone and discuss the drawing below for openers. I am
                              located in Arizona so we have a three hour time difference. Feel
                              free to call any time between 10:00 AM and 12:00 PM your time.

                              Regards,

                              Bob
                              Sierra Vista, AZ