Airwire throttle

  • jerry hansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2009
      Just a follow up to some previous posts on the range of the t-9000 throttle (I have 2) set each one to handle two engines on each throttle both on different frequencies. With a suggestion from MLS I went out (between 2 blizzards) tested what was being said. Here are the results. As for activating sounds, lights etc. both are around the 25ft mark. When using the speed dial direction so forth, I am getting around 35ft. Three of the engines are QSI-G-wire and the third newer one is original Airwire Rec, and Phoenix 2k2 sound. Hearing reports from Paul Norton of 200ft amazing. Still trying to figure out the difference between some of you guys experience and mine? Fellow train person said to get a ham operator over here with I believe a modulator and see what is going on in my backyard for interference. Al suggested when I can get out in yard and see if trackpower and Airwire do the same off of battery power. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Did get the antenna to seat better on latest throttle and range went from 3ft to 25 like the other. The Regal
    • Bill Swindell
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2009
        I'm sure sorry that you are having these problems. In my experience, 35 feet
        is not the normal range for AirWire. I can sit in front of my friend's house
        and control locomotives in the back yard. I have measured throttle control
        in excess of 180 ft.

        What kind of locomotives are you running? I would sure like to be able to
        help you with this problem. Please feel free to contact me directly.
      • Bob Roberts
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2009
          Regal,
          It sure sounds to me like you are having radio interference. Do you or the neighbors have any kind of equipment transmitting in the 900 Mhz band? Telephones, cell phones, wireless network switches and routers are all known to operate on this band. Do you have a cell phone tower near your RR? It is just so strange that you are having this range trouble. I have an underground tunnel and my transmitter still gets to the trains inside. The idea about a ham radio operator is a good one. sometimes individuals or clubs have gear that can sniff out radio signals that cause interference.

          Bob Roberts
          Corona

        • Margaret Briggs
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2009
            Jerry,

            I've stood over 200 ft from my engine outdoors and blown the horn without problem. But if the motors are running they create interference and cut down the soundboard range, but the throttle control is unaffected by the motor noise.

            The device to check for radio frequency noise you spoke of is called a spectrum analyser. They are very expensive devices but can show what the noise floor (ambient RF noise) is at your site. They can also measure the amount of signal your transmitter is putting out. It would be interesting to compare the output of your transmitter with someone's with proven good range.

            Your troubles are probably correctable but may require some investigative work from someone with EMC knowledge. The solution hopefully will be something simple.

            Brian B.