Re: Thanks for starters Info

  • harveyking2002
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hal, the thing I have observed about aviation during my 40 yrs
      around it is that most involved can make it as exspensive as
      possable. The original idea of a VW was to keep it cheap. Not try to
      build a multi thousand dollar engine out of it. Besides my way only
      weighs 8#. How much does the Sub starter, ring gear, etc weight?
      Mine can be built in anyones home workshop with no machining. Rube
      maybe, practical yes.
      Dick

      --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Hal Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:

      > A real Rube Goldberg, huh? But you can't knock success.
      >
      > Hal

      Aircraft
      > > conversions use the old style flywheel but not sure why?
      > > >
      > > > Hal

      maintenance
      > > training Aviation maintenance schools
      > > > Aviation school Aviation training Aviation
      > maintenance
      > > schools

      Yahoo!
      > Terms
      > > of Service.

      > training Aviation maintenance schools
      > > Aviation school Aviation training Aviation
      maintenance
      > schools

      Terms
      > of Service.

      training Aviation maintenance schools
      > Aviation school Aviation training Aviation maintenance
      schools

      of Service.

    • Hal Hadaller
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
        I have to agree with you. Some call the VW in an aircraft a "Rube Goldberg"

        Hal
        Hal, the thing I have observed about aviation during my 40 yrs
        around it is that most involved can make it as exspensive as
        possable. The original idea of a VW was to keep it cheap. Not try to
        build a multi thousand dollar engine out of it. Besides my way only
        weighs 8#. How much does the Sub starter, ring gear, etc weight?
        Mine can be built in anyones home workshop with no machining. Rube
        maybe, practical yes.
        Dick

        --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Hal Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:

        > A real Rube Goldberg, huh? But you can't knock success.
        >
        > Hal

        Yahoo!
        > Terms
        > > of Service.

        > training Aviation maintenance schools
        > > Aviation school Aviation training Aviation
        maintenance
        > schools

        Terms

        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
          I use a starter off old chyrsler 3-4 cly outboards. They usually
          sell for $35. It has a mount easy to fasten to. Any stareter with 2
          bearings and an external bendix will work. You replace the bendix
          with a pulley. When you engage the starter electricaly. you have a
          handle which pulls the starter and tightens the belt by pulling
          a "rope." I use 1/4" dacron cord and 1 or 2 pulley blocks for a
          small sail boat rigging. Or, hardware blocks would be ok. The plus
          is that alignment is not a problem as with gears. Make sure the
          starter is mounted to turn the right way. Eye ball the belt
          alignment. Use a belt that will not fall away too far when loose.
          Mount the starter above the engine pulley. Any handy person can make
          this.
          Dick

          --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Tri-Q1" <rryan@s...> wrote:

          > Dick,
          >
          > What is the type of unit you use,part number?
          >
          > Ryan
          > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "harveyking2002" <harveyking@h...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > The old garden tractor version is too heavy and it is basicly a
          > > delco generator. Not powerful enough. I use a cord pulling the
          > > starter to tighten the belt, which has a spring which returns
          the
          > > starter to a stop. The starter is mounted on a hinged bracket. I
          > > have a switch on the handle to activate the starter motor. Push
          > > the button, and pull the hanle. Away it goes.
          > > Dick
          > >

          > > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Hal Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I was wondering about this option for a starter. Does the
          > starter
          > > have a built-in bendix in the pulley affair somehow controlled
          with
          > > the solenoid? Would be interested in some of the details as this
          > > seems like a simple way to go. What size pulley is used on the
          > > engine?
          > > >
          > > > There are some systems that use a combo starter/generator -
          some
          > > old garden tractors. Somehow after the slow speed start, the
          rpm
          > is
          > > sufficient to turn the motor to work as an alternator/generator.
          > > >
          > > > Hal

          Yahoo!
          > > Terms
          > > > of Service.

          > > training Aviation maintenance schools
          > > > Aviation school Aviation training Aviation
          maintenance
          > > schools

          Terms
          > > of Service.

        • Jonsimik
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
            As I understand it, a bendix can stick on, on start, go unnoticed &
            wreak havoc once airborne.

            jon
            --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Hal Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:

            > Who needs a NEW starter? The price differential sure is not worth
            it. Also, it is not a life threatning device on the airplane.

            > Hal

            Service.

          • harveyking2002
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
              How often does a bendix hang up on your car? They all have one.
              My belt drive does not. But that was not the reason I did it. It is
              because it requires no alignment issues or machined parts. I have a
              machine shop, so I can make most anything. I try to design things
              anyone can duplicate. U/L types became popular by being simple and
              inexspensive. To me a $25K-$45K "U/L" doesn't make sence.
              Dick

              --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Jonsimik" <bigbajon@a...> wrote:

              > As I understand it, a bendix can stick on, on start, go unnoticed
              &
              > wreak havoc once airborne.
              >
              > jon
              > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Hal Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Who needs a NEW starter? The price differential sure is not
              worth
              > it. Also, it is not a life threatning device on the airplane.
              > >
              > > Hal

            • Jonsimik
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
                Don't care how may times it may hang up on my car, but do care if it
                hangs up once on a bird I may be in.

                jon

              • harveyking2002
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
                  I don't think you comprehend how they work. The starter cannot hang
                  up in the air, unless you engage it in the air. Its more likely to
                  fail to engage.

                • Jonsimik
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
                    I don't think you comprehend possible bendix start scenarios.

                    jon

                  • Jonsimik
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
                      OTOH..i don't undersand your system.

                      jon
                      --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Jonsimik" <bigbajon@a...> wrote:

                      > I don't think you comprehend possible bendix start scenarios.
                      >
                      > jon
                      > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "harveyking2002" <harveyking@h...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I don't think you comprehend how they work. The starter cannot hang
                      > > up in the air, unless you engage it in the air. Its more likely to
                      > > fail to engage.
                      > > Dick
                      > >

                      > > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Jonsimik" <bigbajon@a...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Don't care how may times it may hang up on my car, but do care if
                      > > it
                      > > > hangs up once on a bird I may be in.
                      > > >
                      > > > jon
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "harveyking2002" <harveyking@h...>

                      > > is
                      > > have a
                      > > things
                      > > and

                      > > unnoticed

                    • Gary Gower
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 1, 2005
                        The bendix problem is not an old or new, they just can
                        fail any moment, mostly is a problem of lube or
                        inside tolerances that makes them fail. Something out
                        of our control (as users). Now with better machinery
                        the tolerances they are better built,so they seldom
                        fail. in fact, years without a bendix fail in my
                        cars. Other starter or alternator problems but not
                        the bendix...

                        Dick, your system is similar (just electric) to the
                        chainsaw starter from the Dawn Patrol.
                        http://www.kcdawnpatrol.org/chainsaw.htm
                        Bright idea... just needs a big enough batery.

                        Saludos
                        Gary gower

                        __________________________________
                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • Jonsimik
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 3, 2005
                          Just to elaborate a bit, the Continental 0-200 has either a pull
                          start or a key start internal clutch. When either break up usually due
                          to poor maintenance, they can break up and take out the internal gears
                          that drive the mags.
                          A pull clutch can seize up and drive the starter at 40,000 RPM until
                          the starter seizes and then it takes out the internal engine gears.

                          Can't speak for a dub settup though.

                          --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Jonsimik" <bigbajon@a...> wrote:

                          > As I understand it, a bendix can stick on, on start, go unnoticed &
                          > wreak havoc once airborne.
                          >
                          > jon
                          > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Hal Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Who needs a NEW starter? The price differential sure is not worth
                          > it. Also, it is not a life threatning device on the airplane.
                          > >
                          > > Hal

                        • Tri-Q1
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 3, 2005
                            Apples and Oranges.

                            Ryan

                            --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Jonsimik" <bigbajon@a...> wrote:

                            > Just to elaborate a bit, the Continental 0-200 has either a pull
                            > start or a key start internal clutch. When either break up usually
                            due
                            > to poor maintenance, they can break up and take out the internal
                            gears
                            > that drive the mags.
                            > A pull clutch can seize up and drive the starter at 40,000 RPM until
                            > the starter seizes and then it takes out the internal engine gears.
                            >
                            > Can't speak for a dub settup though.
                            >
                            > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Jonsimik" <bigbajon@a...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > As I understand it, a bendix can stick on, on start, go
                            unnoticed &
                            > > wreak havoc once airborne.
                            > >
                            > > jon
                            > > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Hal Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Who needs a NEW starter? The price differential sure is not
                            worth
                            > > it. Also, it is not a life threatning device on the airplane.
                            > > >
                            > > > Hal

                            Terms of

                          • oneskydog@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 4, 2005
                              In a message dated 12/3/2005 6:15:57 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                              bigbajon@... writes:

                              Just to elaborate a bit, the Continental 0-200 has either a pull
                              start or a key start internal clutch. When either break up usually due
                              to poor maintenance, they can break up and take out the internal gears
                              that drive the mags.
                              A pull clutch can seize up and drive the starter at 40,000 RPM until
                              the starter seizes and then it takes out the internal engine gears.

                              Can't speak for a dub settup though.

                              To all,
                              My 1956 Cessna has a pull starter I was told that this starter is off of a
                              1953 Chevy. We have had it apart and rebuilt and there is nothing special about
                              it.
                              I bought a Dragonfly with a HAPI starter that would barely turn the engine
                              over and drew a ton of amps trying.
                              I paid $35.00 for a used 85 GL Subaru starter and 500 hours later it has
                              never given any trouble.

                              Regards,

                              One Sky Dog aka Charlie

                            • harveyking2002
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
                                This problem is due to an obviously poor design by continenlal.
                                Some engines used the E80 starter which has a dog engagment which
                                faired better. These are the larger engines. Being internal, and the
                                bendix gear being the "weak" link, it is logical that breakage could
                                cause catastraphic failer.
                                Since this is a VW group, I would assume that the continental design
                                would be irellivent. My posts on my belt drive are related
                                to auto/other engine conversions. The continental situation is
                                an interesting examle though, of how not to do it.
                                Dick

                                --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, oneskydog@a... wrote:

                                > In a message dated 12/3/2005 6:15:57 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                                > bigbajon@a... writes:
                                >
                                > Just to elaborate a bit, the Continental 0-200 has either a pull
                                > start or a key start internal clutch. When either break up
                                usually due
                                > to poor maintenance, they can break up and take out the internal
                                gears
                                > that drive the mags.
                                > A pull clutch can seize up and drive the starter at 40,000 RPM
                                until
                                > the starter seizes and then it takes out the internal engine
                                gears.

                                > Can't speak for a dub settup though.
                                >

                                > To all,
                                > My 1956 Cessna has a pull starter I was told that this starter is
                                off of a
                                > 1953 Chevy. We have had it apart and rebuilt and there is nothing
                                special about
                                > it.
                                > I bought a Dragonfly with a HAPI starter that would barely turn
                                the engine
                                > over and drew a ton of amps trying.
                                > I paid $35.00 for a used 85 GL Subaru starter and 500 hours later
                                it has
                                > never given any trouble.
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                >
                                > One Sky Dog aka Charlie

                              • Jonsimik
                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 5, 2005
                                  Dick,

                                  Turns out that when I said "I don't think that you comprehend
                                  possible bendix sticking start scenarios", I had no idea who I was
                                  talking to, little bit of apples & orange talk going on & consider my
                                  comments to you--were out to lunch (won't happen again) & thx for the
                                  info. (OSD too)

                                  jon