Re: Torsional vibration

  • Jonsimik
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1, 2005
      Proves it can be done safely. Thx for the info.

      jon

      --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "goarnaut" <goarnaut@y...> wrote:
      > Jon,
      >
      > If someone goes over Niagara Falls in a barrel, does that prove it is
      > safe?
      >
      > I don't know why Valley Engineering -- the people who make the redrive
      > that Great Plains sells -- chose to offer a 2:1 ratio. Perhaps it's
      > not exactly 2:1, you would have to ask them.
      >
      > It is possible that this ratio may not be a problem on this particular
      > combination of engine, redrive and wooden prop. Every drivetrain is a
      > system with its own particular vibration characteristics.
      >
      > Remember the Pratt story? They were able to tame the torsional
      > resonance on that big R-2800 even with the 2:1 ratio. But it sure
      > wasn't easy. Subsequent models of the engine had a different ratio and
      > you can bet they were probably kicking themselves for not discovering
      > this little nugget of knowledge sooner. But at the time, vibration
      > study was a new and emerging field with very little expertise on which
      > to draw.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Gordon.
      >

      > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Jonsimik" <bigbajon@a...> wrote:
      > > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "goarnaut" <goarnaut@y...> wrote:
      > > > John,
      > > <snip>
      > > > if you
      > > > use a 2-blade prop with a ratio of exactly 2:1, which is the worst
      > > > thing you can do for torsional resonance, because then you are
      > only
      > > > multiplying your excitations and harmonics (which are integer
      > > > multiples of the underlying frequency).
      > >
      > > OK, then why does Great Plains offer a 2:1 ratio?
      > >
      > > jon
    • Jonsimik
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 1, 2005
        Only problem is it doesn't always work out that way..

        jon

        --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Jonsimik" <bigbajon@a...> wrote:
        > Proves it can be done safely. Thx for the info.
        >
        > jon
        >
        > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "goarnaut" <goarnaut@y...> wrote:
        > > Jon,
        > >
        > > If someone goes over Niagara Falls in a barrel, does that prove it is
        > > safe?
        > >
        > > I don't know why Valley Engineering -- the people who make the
        redrive
        > > that Great Plains sells -- chose to offer a 2:1 ratio. Perhaps it's
        > > not exactly 2:1, you would have to ask them.
        > >
        > > It is possible that this ratio may not be a problem on this
        particular
        > > combination of engine, redrive and wooden prop. Every drivetrain is a
        > > system with its own particular vibration characteristics.
        > >
        > > Remember the Pratt story? They were able to tame the torsional
        > > resonance on that big R-2800 even with the 2:1 ratio. But it sure
        > > wasn't easy. Subsequent models of the engine had a different ratio
        and
        > > you can bet they were probably kicking themselves for not discovering
        > > this little nugget of knowledge sooner. But at the time, vibration
        > > study was a new and emerging field with very little expertise on
        which
        > > to draw.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Gordon.
        > >

        > > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Jonsimik" <bigbajon@a...> wrote:
        > > > <snip>
        > > only
        > > >
        > > > OK, then why does Great Plains offer a 2:1 ratio?
        > > >
        > > > jon
      • jl
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 1, 2005
          Anyone?

          Jeff
        • Patrick Panzera
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 1, 2005
            How about a 35mm AeroCarb?
            I have one of those for sale.

            Pat

          • Jeff Lange
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 1, 2005
              Pat,

              Email me off list at jeff@...

              Thanks,

              Jeff

              --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Panzera" <panzera@e...> wrote:
              > How about a 35mm AeroCarb?
              > I have one of those for sale.
              >
              > Pat

            • Harold Hadaller
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 1, 2005
                Pat, this is Hal. Looks like I will by using my big 2387 VW that I had on the Renegade. Building a Thatcher CX4 and need a carb for that engine. I used my EFS3 Ellison on my O-200 for the Renegade and have a Reflow 38mm that I don't like. The 35mm Aerocarb might work on this engine. Send my a price or details off line, flyhal@...

                Thanks, Hal
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Hal,

                  That looks like a pretty and interesting airplane,
                  keep posted, Love the (Wittman) wing tips...

                  Saludos
                  Gary Gower.

                  --- Harold Hadaller <flyhal@...> wrote:

                  > Pat, this is Hal. Looks like I will by using my big
                  > 2387 VW that I had on the Renegade. Building a
                  > Thatcher CX4 and need a carb for that engine. I
                  > used my EFS3 Ellison on my O-200 for the Renegade
                  > and have a Reflow 38mm that I don't like. The 35mm
                  > Aerocarb might work on this engine. Send my a price
                  > or details off line, flyhal@...
                  >
                  > Thanks, Hal

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/SyTolB/TM

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Jonsimik
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 2, 2005
                    engine. Send my a price or details off line, flyhal@y...

                    > Thanks, Hal

                    Service.

                  • Jonsimik
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Hal,

                      I'm trying to to figure out your 2387.

                      Saw a chart that she makes ~150 hp. Checked the archs & couldn't find
                      any detailed info on the engine. Think it's a type I & don't know what
                      heads are being used.

                      How does a 2387 deal with the shedding of heat issues with a dub?

                      jon

                      --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:
                      > Pat, this is Hal. Looks like I will by using my big 2387 VW that I
                      had on the Renegade. Building a Thatcher CX4 and need a carb for that
                      engine. I used my EFS3 Ellison on my O-200 for the Renegade and have
                      a Reflow 38mm that I don't like. The 35mm Aerocarb might work on this
                      engine. Send my a price or details off line, flyhal@y...

                      > Thanks, Hal

                      Service.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Holy hijack of my post guys : )

                        jeff

                        On Sep 2, 2005, at 10:31 AM, Jonsimik wrote:

                        > Hal,
                        >
                        > I'm trying to to figure out your 2387.
                        >
                        > Saw a chart that she makes ~150 hp. Checked the archs & couldn't find
                        > any detailed info on the engine. Think it's a type I & don't know what
                        > heads are being used.
                        >
                        > How does a 2387 deal with the shedding of heat issues with a dub?
                        >
                        > jon
                        >

                        > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:
                        > > Pat, this is Hal.  Looks like I will by using my big 2387 VW that I
                        > had on the Renegade.  Building a Thatcher CX4 and need a carb for that
                        > engine.  I used my EFS3 Ellison on my O-200 for the Renegade and have
                        > a Reflow 38mm that I don't like.  The 35mm Aerocarb might work on this
                        > engine.  Send my a price or details off line,  flyhal@y...
                        > >
                        > > Thanks, Hal

                      • Harold Hadaller
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 2, 2005
                          It is a custom built up T1 engine. I put about 50 hours on it when I had it powering my Murphy Renegade. It has all aftermarket parts including the heads with stainless 40 mm intakes and 35.5 exhaust. Lift of 0.390 inches with a duration of 213 deg and lobe center at 107. It has Scat 5.5" H beam rods, straight cut gears, Scat round port heads - ported and polished, high rev valve springs, new Rimco Super case with shuffle pins and weld, full flow oil, Forged balanced DPR crankshaft m Cima-Mahle pistons & cylinders, 8.5:1 CR, Mellings high volume oil pump, Heavy duty steel Scat Pushrods, Solid shaft rocker with stock 1.1 ratio,Aluminum power pulley, Powemaster lightweight alternator.

                          Dyno 2000 shows about 150 HP at 5500 but I set it up for max torque in the 3000 rpm range. I could get 3400 rpm with a 66" Tennesse wood prop. I had an Ellison EFS3 throttle body on it. I have the Compu-fire DIS ignition system.

                          It ran like a champ and cooling was good with 350- 400 degrees at 3100 cruise rpm. No problem with oil cooler at all - used the larger Type II oil cooler remotely mounted. Mounted in a faster aircraft like the Thatcher CX4 that I have started should really make the cooling a non issue at it's higher cruise speed compared to the Renegade. Engine did not perform as desired in the Renegade pertaining to its sluggish 300-400 fpm climb rate with the 730 lb aircraft (empty). Top speed was about 95 with the Renegade. I figure about 85-90 hp based on fuel consumption. Prop was very inefficient was the problem. Just can't spin a 66-68" prop at that rpm - mainly putting all the energy in stirring the air.

                          Hal
                          Saw a chart that she makes ~150 hp. Checked the archs & couldn't find
                          any detailed info on the engine. Think it's a type I & don't know what
                          heads are being used.

                          How does a 2387 deal with the shedding of heat issues with a dub?

                          jon

                          --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:
                          > Pat, this is Hal. Looks like I will by using my big 2387 VW that I
                          had on the Renegade. Building a Thatcher CX4 and need a carb for that
                          engine. I used my EFS3 Ellison on my O-200 for the Renegade and have
                          a Reflow 38mm that I don't like. The 35mm Aerocarb might work on this
                          engine. Send my a price or details off line, flyhal@y...

                          > Thanks, Hal

                          Service.

                          Aviation school Aviation training Aviation maintenance schools

                        • ultrawinger2
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 2, 2005
                            > "Harold Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:
                            > It is a custom built up T1 engine. I put about 50 hours on it when
                            > SNIP<
                            > I could get 3400 rpm with a 66" Tennesse wood prop.
                            > I had an Ellison EFS3 throttle body on it.
                            > I have the Compu-fire DIS ignition system.

                            Hal, What was the reduction ratio and prop pitch?

                            Reggie
                          • Harold Hadaller
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 2, 2005
                              DIrect drive with a 44" pitch prop. I was using the GPAS rear drive system but had lots of problems with it so am abandoning the RDS and making up a spool attached to the flywheel. The RDS was a fiasco situation produced by GPAS. One can only use it with a small 2180 cc max engine and a lightweighr powerfin 62" prop. It can't take the impulse from larger props and displacement as they originally advertised and sold as (Up to 150 hp engine and any type prop). I got nothing from them to fix the problem. The damper/coupler melted in less than a minute.

                              Hal

                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 3, 2005
                                Pat, what do you know about these Aerocarbs? Are they relatively problem free and the mixture sets up okay. Why are you selling yours or have you sold it yet?

                                Hal
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 11, 2005
                                  Hal,

                                  Thx for the info. Helps x-plain some things. Figured at first, if
                                  your type I engine is makin 150 horse, why go to 100 horse
                                  Continetal..but you x-plained that part.

                                  Hearing some things for the first time here.

                                  What da heck is "Super case with shuffle pins and weld, full flow
                                  oil, Forged balanced DPR crankshaft m?

                                  Shuffle pins & weld..
                                  full flow oil..
                                  DPR crank m?

                                  jon

                                  Service.

                                • Harold Hadaller
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 11, 2005
                                    Below is a description of the SHUFFLE PIN that copied from elsewhere.

                                    "A common use of shuffle pins on the type one block is for the pins to be pressed into the bolt side of the number two main bearing saddle and the main's bolts travel through the center of the shuffle pins.

                                    This operation MUST be done BEFORE align boring the block AND if you install shuffle pins you MUST align bore the block. It is my opinion that shuffle pins be pressed in with only a .001" or .0015" interference fit in the pressed side and that the pins have a shelf stop or counterbore bottom to keep them at the proper height. The slip fit side should be no more than .0005" over the size of the shuffle pin. "Push screw" threads should be drilled and tapped in one or both of the engine block halves and installed in four corners of the block to aid in disassembly.

                                    I also believe that shuffle pin holes should be reamed on center and with the use of a dummy camshaft and dummy main bearings in place with the block halves torqued to spec.

                                    Since some or all of these operations may not be done by alot of engine shops for shuffle pins, I can see where you could get cracking.

                                    Talk to www.rimcovw.com people about this and arrange for them to do shuffle pins since they have VW blocks down to a science and they pride themselves on high levels of quality at a reasonable price. "

                                    The Supercase is a modified stock case with all the goodies done to improve the life. Full flow oil ports the oil pump to the outside of the case for filter installation. Welding behind #3 is a hot spot on the case that often cracks and is layed over with a flat piece of metal on the transmission side of the bell housing. Original crankshafts were castings and not very strong. Forged (bent from a hunk of metal) crankshafts take much more abuse/twisting by a propeller. All most all VW cranks are forged now. DPR is the brand name of a particular manufacturer - DPR racing. They make high quality performance parts for a variety of engines.

                                    Hope this helps.

                                    Hal

                                    Thx for the info. Helps x-plain some things. Figured at first, if
                                    your type I engine is makin 150 horse, why go to 100 horse
                                    Continetal..but you x-plained that part.

                                    Hearing some things for the first time here.

                                    What da heck is "Super case with shuffle pins and weld, full flow
                                    oil, Forged balanced DPR crankshaft m?

                                    Shuffle pins & weld..
                                    full flow oil..
                                    DPR crank m?

                                    jon

                                    --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Hadaller" <flyhal@y...> wrote:
                                    > It is a custom built up T1 engine. I put about 50 hours on it when
                                    I had it powering my Murphy Renegade. It has all aftermarket parts
                                    including the heads with stainless 40 mm intakes and 35.5 exhaust.
                                    Lift of 0.390 inches with a duration of 213 deg and lobe center at
                                    107. It has Scat 5.5" H beam rods, straight cut gears, Scat round
                                    port heads - ported and polished, high rev valve springs, new Rimco
                                    Super case with shuffle pins and weld, full flow oil, Forged balanced
                                    DPR crankshaft m Cima-Mahle pistons & cylinders, 8.5:1 CR, Mellings
                                    high volume oil pump, Heavy duty steel Scat Pushrods, Solid shaft
                                    rocker with stock 1.1 ratio,Aluminum power pulley, Powemaster
                                    lightweight alternator.

                                    > Dyno 2000 shows about 150 HP at 5500 but I set it up for max torque
                                    in the 3000 rpm range. I could get 3400 rpm with a 66" Tennesse wood
                                    prop. I had an Ellison EFS3 throttle body on it. I have the
                                    Compu-fire DIS ignition system.

                                    > It ran like a champ and cooling was good with 350- 400 degrees at
                                    3100 cruise rpm. No problem with oil cooler at all - used the larger
                                    Type II oil cooler remotely mounted. Mounted in a faster aircraft
                                    like the Thatcher CX4 that I have started should really make the
                                    cooling a non issue at it's higher cruise speed compared to the
                                    Renegade. Engine did not perform as desired in the Renegade
                                    pertaining to its sluggish 300-400 fpm climb rate with the 730 lb
                                    aircraft (empty). Top speed was about 95 with the Renegade. I figure
                                    about 85-90 hp based on fuel consumption. Prop was very inefficient
                                    was the problem. Just can't spin a 66-68" prop at that rpm - mainly
                                    putting all the energy in stirring the air.

                                    > Hal

                                    Service.

                                    Aviation school Aviation training Aviation maintenance schools