Re: [AirVW] Ignition timing

  • Dean Dayton
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 1, 2002
      One Sky Dog,

      I'd like to know what happened with your Great Plains spark plug adapters. I
      have been using them for about a year on my Limbach (single mag ignition).
      No problems so far, but your statement made me a little nervous.

      Dean Dayton - N7167S

      >Goldwing and 2 Dana coils no boxes. The other system is a Magneto, the only
      >problem I had with it was I tried the Great Plains adapters to go from the
      >mag harness to auto plugs. The insulators broke down and some of the leads
      >shorted to ground

    • laheze
      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 29, 2005
        I want to relate the quotes to VW engines, even though Mr Hoover was
        talking about a different engine.
        Larry H.

        "robertshoover" wrote:

        > With regard to ignition...

        > When peak pressure occurs a LITTLE bit early some of that stored
        > energy will be used to get the piston past TDC. Under those
        > conditions the engine's efficiency is low and fuel consumption is
        >high but the thing will still run.

        How do you know when peak pressure occurs and or can we control that?
        and where is the best place to set the timing if you have to pick one
        spot?

        > At the very least this message should have made two things immediately
        > apparent: Ignition must occur at some time prior to the need for peak
        > pressure, and the precise moment of ignition must vary according to
        > the rpm of the engine.
        >
        > Which is why I don't use magnetos. Or any other ignition system
        > having a fixed firing point.

        Are the electronic ignitions variable in timing automatically ? or can
        they be (set by the user) ahead of time or while in use during flight?

        Thanks
        Larry H.