Re: [AirVW] Re: It flies!

  • Greg Yotz
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
      So your running problems and EGT appear to be fuel volume?? Am I correct in
      this conclusion?

      Are you using gravity feed or fuel pump?? Are you using an inline fuel
      filter or a fuel bowl type?

      Greg
      VP-1 In Kansas.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
        Yes the problem is probably related to fuel volume and or vaporization.
        I've modified the jet in the carb to supply sufficient fuel, but the
        intake manifold behind the carb gets very cold, and I'm beginning to
        wonder if the fuel is condensing out of the intake air. Another
        consideration we may be fighting is float bowl fuel boiling. Seems
        everything is fine until later in the testing. Getting frustrated.
        I have a mechanical fuel pump and have a gascolator with internal filter
        mounted at the base of the firewall. Nothing clear, I'm going to try a
        few things tomorrow, and see if we get anywhere. I'll keep all posted.
        Thanks.. . .jim

        Greg Yotz wrote:

        > So your running problems and EGT appear to be fuel volume?? Am I correct in
        > this conclusion?
        >
        > Are you using gravity feed or fuel pump?? Are you using an inline fuel
        > filter or a fuel bowl type?
        >
        > Greg
        > VP-1 In Kansas.

      • Jack Lockamy
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2001
          Jim,

          What carb (and size) are you using?

          Jack Lockamy
          Camarillo, CA.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2001
            Well over all here I guess I'll address two days of labor on the bird.
            Both Sunday and today Tuesday the third. The airplane has flown again,
            but My confusion over engine problems is getting staggering. I don't
            however think they are great, just that the solutions are successfully
            avoiding me.
            First lets talk about the good things that I can deal with. The
            airplane itself if flying well. I have only a need for a way to get
            some down trim. As I had been told before, but didn't notice on my
            first flight. Having not installed the trim system, I will start by
            shimming the leading edge of the stabilizer. Otherwise, the rudder is
            very light to the point that I have to pay attention to weather I'm
            applying any rudder or not. Time for a slip ball here. Ailerons are a
            bit stiff but feeling better all the time. Not much aerodynamically,
            but about what I expected for this airplane. Landings are easy but I
            can't seem to round out about 4 inches higher. Gear is stiff, but seems
            to track squarely.
            Here's the best news about the engine! It ain't leaking!? Just a
            mild sweat around the acorn nuts on the oil screen cover. I have had
            extensive conversations with Mr. Gene Smith in MO about my problems, and
            either directly from our talks or a giant stroke of luck I got the
            airplane airborne for more than a tense 4 minute pattern.
            After redrilling the jets the engine has run well in a static
            situation. It seems that the minute the brakes are released, things
            start coughing!? Various things were applied today for the flying
            done. First the cowl was removed, and the carb bowl wrapped in a
            "cozy"! This to prevent over heating of the fuel in the float bowl
            during extended ground operations. The other thing done was that the
            entire flight was run with the carb heat on. The carb heat idea was to
            help warm the manifold after the carb. I guess the idea is to keep the
            fuel mixture from re condensing causing the mixture to be lean. These
            are out loud musings, not based on a bunch of facts. But it had been
            suggested so I tried it, as was the removed cowling, and carb cozy.
            Well, all in all the first flight went REAL well compared to earlier
            attempts. Only one minor cough shortly after advancing the throttle,
            but it cleared and good power resulted. Indicated rpm, was just under
            4000 rpm. Man do I need some more bite in that prop! Checking with the
            P.Ponk prop speed calculator, my prop tips are moving at .9 mach. We're
            still producing thrust, but this is un necessary. Even with this power,
            I'm running only about 20 or so above indicated stall speed. EGT's are
            between 1200 and 1300 most of the flight. From this I landed and added
            another twist of fuel to the high speed jets. From here I blasted off
            and flew another 15 or so minutes. This time I headed out on my first
            cross country to the near by airport hoping to be seen by friends
            there. Only thing of note different on this flight is the sustained
            power setting brought my oil temps to about 220. Slow decent and a
            landing back at home I let the engine cool for about 45 minutes.
            The only change made now was to install the cowling. Looks great!
            A quick static run, and I turned around and headed out to the runway.
            Headed down the runway, advanced the power, and yep it started coughing
            again.
            Well, here is the question. Is the airflow around the cowling so
            different rolling 30 mph down the runway at full throttle than at full
            throttle in the chocks to cause this rough running? I may try some in
            the morning with a cool engine. Also in order is to make sure the tach
            is not lying to me. More when I know it. . . .thanks for the input. . .jim
          • Clare Snyder
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2001
              What have you got for an air-box or intake in front of the carb? Is it getting
              "ram air"? If so, put a baffle around it to prevent the ram effect and try
              again. Also, try to give it a few inches of straight flow ahead of the carb
              (long pipe?)

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2001
                I do have a air box in front of my carb. I milled a flange to
                bolt the carb to, and then "welded" this to a 2 1/2" pipe at 90 degrees
                to serve as a air box. There is no ram air, and I'm believing that the
                opposite of this problem is what I'm dealing with. A low pressure in
                the intake area choking down the airflow is about the only thing I'm
                imagining is going on. There is 2 to 3 inches between the front of the
                (zenith side draft) carb and the flapper valve that selects between the
                fresh air, and the heated air. I'm beginning to believe that I may be
                in need of some ram air. Keep up the ideas guys. I do appreciate
                them. jim

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2001
                  If you are getting a "venturi effect" giving low pressure at the intake, a
                  baffle may still help?
> [...]
                  > >> cross country to the near by airport hoping to be seen by friends
                  > >> there. Only thing of note different on this flight is the sustained
                  > >> power setting brought my oil temps to about 220. Slow decent and a
                  > >> landing back at home I let the engine cool for about 45 minutes.
                  > >> The only change made now was to install the cowling. Looks great!
                  > >> A quick static run, and I turned around and headed out to the runway.
                  > >> Headed down the runway, advanced the power, and yep it started coughing
                  > >> again.
                  > >> Well, here is the question. Is the airflow around the cowling so
                  > >> different rolling 30 mph down the runway at full throttle than at full
                  > >> throttle in the chocks to cause this rough running? I may try some in
                  > >> the morning with a cool engine. Also in order is to make sure the tach
                  > >> is not lying to me. More when I know it. . . .thanks for the input. . .jim

                • Jaugilas
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 5, 2001
                    James,

                    You know it sounds like a problem with the vent on the fuel bowl.

                    There could be high or low pressure created at the point the vent meets with the atmosphere. Just thinking here which
                    would give you a leaner mixture? High pressure on the fuel in the bowl or low pressure on the fuel in the bowl?

                    A high enough pressure would starve fuel flow.

                    Just something to think about.

                    I don't think too cold a intake manifold would be a problem. Just consider that some use Nitrous Oxide to boost
                    performance. This effectively freezes the mixture making it less dense and therefore more mixture gets into the chamber.

                    Maybe not correct but I had to say my two cents.

                    Bill Jaugilas

                  • Mike Perry
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 8, 2001
                      Dear Jim:
                      Are you sure you don't have two problems? I've selected parts of your
                      E-mail of 4 July below. It sounds to me like you were doing fairly well,
                      then put the cowling around a hot engine and had problems. Could the later
                      problems be vapor lock? Are you using AV-gas or Auto? What was the
                      outside air temp?
                      I also read your E-mail of 6 July, and it certainly sounds like you
                      are too rich, AT 1200 RPM. You really don't know how you are above or
                      below 1200.
                      To the group: What would help clarify rich vs. lean thru the full rpm
                      range? Oxygen sensor? anything else?
                      Hope this helps -- Good luck
                      Mike Perry

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 8, 2001
                        Mike,
                        First I'd like you thank you for the time spent to think through and
                        give a studied response. It is hot here for sure. Most my flight
                        attempts have been in the low to mid 90's. At least it has been humid!
                        I figure if I can lick the problems at 90+ degrees, trial by literal
                        fire, I'll have one heck of a good dependable airplane.
                        To answer another post's question, I'm am running a zenith carb
                        that I'm pretty sure is associated with a Harley background. According
                        to Steve Bennett, I think I am the first to receive this carb for
                        aircraft use. I don't like trail blazing! I want to bolt it up and
                        turn it on! I'm tempted to get a stock carb and slap it on the top and
                        call it good.
                        I have been considering the vapor lock idea. I am running auto
                        fuel, but have got to significant efforts during construction to avoid
                        this possibility. Fuel exits the fuselage, directly into the
                        gascolator. The bowl of which is near the bottom cowling air exit. The
                        fuel exits the gascolator covered in fire sleeve all the way to the fuel
                        pump. Fuel pump connected to the carb by a 5" piece of fuel line. I've
                        now covered the float bowl in a Beer cozy. It reads on the side by the
                        way, "only the paranoid survive". I figure it was fitting. My last
                        test of this possibility was to let the engine cool down below 140
                        degrees at the runway, then put the cowling on, started up and pushed
                        the throttle forward.
                        Actually at 1200 rpm, I used my hand as a crude choke over the
                        intake, and things smoothed out. So in this instance it was lean. Best
                        cheap way on the ground to determine mixture needs is to watch the color
                        of the exhaust, rpm peak, and egt peak if you've got instrumentation.
                        I'm afraid with my carb, I can get it running well at idle, and at high
                        speed, but the mid range just doesn't work out as well.
                        Mr. Gene Smith, has been working with me on the phone with this
                        problem, and has been very helpful. He encouraged me to open the jets
                        to where I have at 9/64ths. He did the same for his engine, and is now
                        running fine. But! He is running a 2180cc, where I'm only running a
                        1835. Is my thinking flawed in that I think since my engine is smaller
                        I should not have to go larger with the main jet than he? Does his
                        increased stroke allow him to extract more fuel that I can from the same
                        jet? I do not know!? I can pretty much fix anything that I touch, as
                        long as at one time it was working properly. I'm not much in the
                        research and development like I'm doing now. Help!?
                        Hey guys. I really appreciate every input I receive. Keep, it up
                        and we'll all enjoy the victory someday. jim

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 8, 2001
                          pipe some propane to the intake. If it picks up when you turn on the propane,
                          it's lean. If it stumbles it's rich. Just an old propane torch with a piece of
                          hose clamped on instead of the flame retainer, and the hose taped to the intake
                          will do the trick.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 9, 2001
                            Dear Jim:
                            Sorry -- Brain dead when I wrote that. Obviously you were too lean
                            at 1200 rpm.
                            Clare Snyder's idea of piping in propane sounds great on the ground,
                            not sure I see how to do that safely in the air.
                            Good luck -- Mike Perry