Re: [AirVW] speaking of props?? new thread

  • Tony or Bev
    Message 1 of 48 , Dec 2, 2001
      Hi

      I am looking for a good wood prop for my 1700cc VW Limbach... Rotation I
      think for all VWs is counter clockwise as seen from the cockpit... size? I
      want a 65-68 wood by 30-40 pitch... Hole drilled center can be 1 inch with
      a 2 inch rebate at rear... I would have to do that for any 1 inch holed
      prop...I need blade area outside my big round cowling.

      Any offers?

      In Australia but anywhere in the world... we can freight it to me.

      Regards

      Tony
    • Harold Hadaller
      Message 48 of 48 , Dec 5, 2001
        AFter much debate it looks like you got it. I am real happy so far with my 2386 Type 1 although originally I had wanted the larter 2.6/2.7 Liter Type 1. Maybe a good thing that I did not get one of these if there really is a problem with the crankshafts. This would have really shown up with the larger 68" prop that I am running. Not sure what difference the different vendors of the counter weighted forge cranks make as far a breakage. It seems like that would be a big factor. Maybe Steve Bennett did not get the best.

        Anyway, it looks as if you will be hearing the Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr pretty soon. What did you do on your manifolds? Anything in the tuning areana like I have? I would like to throw my junky RevFlo throttle body away. The mixture control uses a brass valve seated on an aluminum seat. It works very similar to a regular water faucet. To lean the engine you just restrict the input fuel flow at what ever setting of throttle that you are running. That part works okay. Although it does make a difference on whether I use the upper wing tanks or the fuselage tank due to the pressure difference at the throttlebody. The big problem is if you shut the fuel flow OFF with the mixture, the brass valve sticks to the aluminum and it takes a lot of torque to open the valve again. I change cables once to a heavier type but that did not solve the problem. I even lengthen the arm to get more leverage. It takes a quite rugged control cable to push it away when it sticks. It is the nature of the valve to stick when seated firmly.

        The other problem is the pressure agains the slide plate. When idled down more plate is exposed in the intake and hence more pressure. This makes the thottle lever move extremely hard. Again I replaced the cable with a heavier on and increased the leverage but the lever still becomes quite stiff near idle and one has to push quite hard to change the position of the throttle setting. Above about 155 rpm or so it is okay as the pressure become less.

        I asked Aerocarb about theirs but they really had no comment other than it works GOOD. I am at the point that something needs to be done. The system is flyable but the control anomalies are not accepable.

        Thinking seriously about the Ellison EFS3A. I only have the minimu 0.5psi that is required for head pressure. It is the only unit of theirs that will go from 0.5-6 psi so would possibly work. With my upper wing tanks that would not be a problem but I plan on using my lower fuselage tank for local flying.

        So does one invest another $350 for Aerocarb or shoot the works for something that is known to work for $825. I had a EFS4 on my previous biplane with an O-320 and loved it. I suppose I could sell/give away my RevFlo.

        HAL