Spark Plug gap

  • James Reynolds
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hello,
      Anyone know the gap needed for the Champion REL 38b ?
      they are a dual prong, aviation type sparkplug.

      Runs okay the way the engine came, all of them seem to be set at .022 - but I sure would like to know for sure.

      Thanks,
      Jamie.

    • oneskydog@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
        In a message dated 11/1/2001 7:49:01 PM Mountain Standard Time,
        jamier@... writes:

        > Hello,
        > Anyone know the gap needed for the Champion REL 38b ?
        > they are a dual prong, aviation type sparkplug.
        >
        > Runs okay the way the engine came, all of them seem to be set at .022
        > - but I sure would like to know for sure.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jamie.

        Depends on what you are firing it with. A mag at 20,000 volts requires a
        smaller gap like .016" a electronic ignition apx .030 to .040. The bigger the
        gap the better the ignition of fuel, if you have the volts to reliably jump
        the gap at high cyl pressures.

        Regards,

        One Sky Dog

      • James Reynolds
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
          Thanks,
          I have a Slick mag, 4200 series (I'll have to check exact number) - don't know the voltage but I'll find out - thanks for the pointing me in the right direction.

          jamier@... writes:

          > Hello,
          > Anyone know the gap needed for the Champion REL 38b ?
          > they are a dual prong, aviation type sparkplug.
          >
          > Runs okay the way the engine came, all of them seem to be set at .022
          > - but I sure would like to know for sure.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jamie.

          Depends on what you are firing it with. A mag at 20,000 volts requires a
          smaller gap like .016" a electronic ignition apx .030 to .040. The bigger the
          gap the better the ignition of fuel, if you have the volts to reliably jump
          the gap at high cyl pressures.

          Regards,

          One Sky Dog

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • James E. Hardy
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
            This is more ignition related. If you're running a mag, anywhere from
            .015 to .019. Shoot for .015 and let it wear to 019. Electronic
            ignition will require or allow more, but what that is, I wouldn't have
            any idea. . . good luck. . .jim