Re: [AirVW] Re: Intake Leak

  • Jack Dernorsek
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
      Thanks Joe, but one more question. The 6 mm cap nuts, are they the same ones used on the bottom of the engine to attach the oil pan cover? I have always found these easy to strip. But you say you drill them for safety wire... drill straight across near the top, or what? Thanks again for the kind replies.Jack http://www.geocities.com/teenietwoairplane--- joe7p4247 wrote:They come with the gasket kit or you can buy themindivudally at the VW parts store. I ran up the plane today it did ok. I used a little sicilone on them and saftey wired the cap nuts in place. In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, Jack Dernorsekhangarb7@y...> wrote:Joe,Didn't know those crush rings were easilyreplaceable.Where do you get them?Thanks,Jack

    • Bill Hurlbutt
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
        I don't recommend lean of peak running, even with the balanced mixture.
        We have had to replace valve guides in IO520's mounted in the front of
        Bonanzas that have those prized GAMI injectors which allow "safe" lean
        of peak running. We have to start replacing guides at around 400 to 500
        hours; extremely early. We have some that go to TBO with valves and
        guides being like new. These were run on the preferred rich side of peak.

        Bill

        Harold Hadaller wrote:

        > Depends on how lean? Modern method of leaning modern aircraft engines
        > is to
        > go lean of peak. When lean of peak the actual fuel input is reduced so
        > things actually get cooler. You can only do this when at cruise power and
        > have a good balanced intake system. The point here is that if a
        > cylinder is
        > lean enough, there is not much heat due to low amount of fuel
        > available, if
        > any.
        >
        > If you have an argument here, you need to read up on engines.
        >
        > Hal

      • joe7p4247
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
          Hi Jack. Yes they are the bottom oil sump cap nuts that I drilled at
          the top with a 1/16th drill bit. They have to be drilled very close
          to the top to clear the top of the 6mm stud. Set the drill press on
          slow and fee in slowly using a pecking cycle to avoid catching the
          drill bit and breaking it off. Center punch both sides first, and
          drill in to the center of one side , turn the nut over and drill
          through to the center then go all the way through. You only have to
          do four of them. Then drill the edge of the intake flange with four
          1/16" holes, to secure the nuts, using a variable speed hand drill.
          Go slowly, the little bits break easily. When assembling use never
          size and just hand tighten, don't over torque. Then safte wire
          with .032 stainless.

          --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, Jack Dernorsek <hangarb7@y...> wrote:
          > Thanks Joe, but one more question. The 6 mm cap nuts, are they the
          same ones used on the bottom of the engine to attach the oil pan
          cover? I have always found these easy to strip. But you say you
          drill them for safety wire... drill straight across near the top, or
          what? Thanks again for the kind replies.Jack
          http://www.geocities.com/teenietwoairplane--- joe7p4247 wrote:They
          come with the gasket kit or you can buy themindivudally at the VW
          parts store. I ran up the plane today it did ok. I used a little
          sicilone on them and saftey wired the cap nuts in place. In
          AirVW@yahoogroups.com, Jack Dernorsekhangarb7@y...> wrote:Joe,Didn't
          know those crush rings were easilyreplaceable.Where do you get them?
          Thanks,Jack

        • Darren Pond
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2003
            HI Gang
            I've hired a Bug mechanic to assist me in my over haul. One because I hope
            he doesn't have to stop and read the manual all the time and two he should
            have all the tools to do it.
            Any idea how long it will take to do. I a have the jugs off and ready to
            split the case.
            Darren Pond
            Cambridge