Smartplugs on VW?

  • David Hempy
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2003
      Anybody tried them on a VW? I'm thinking about it to get rid of the magneto on my 1/2 VW. The mag sticks out so far, I may have C/G problems on my trike.

      http://www.smartplugs.com/

      -dave

      --
      David Hempy
      Internet Database Administrator

      "Design perfection has been reached
      not when there is nothing left to add,
      but when there is nothing left to take away."
      [RFC1925]
    • Jack Hohner
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2003
        Dave:
        A friend of mine is experimenting with SmartPlugs in his Mooney. The
        turbo charging seems to be causing some problem. The ignition timing
        is based on compression. The company is close to me here in Spokane,
        WA....60 miles north in Sandpoint, Idaho. The inventor has
        demonstrated them for our chapter....they are pretty impressive.
        They have flown them quite a bit in a SuperCub. They should work
        fine in a VW. One comment.....you can forget handpropping. There is
        no way to retard ignition for start-up.

        --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, David Hempy <dhempy@d...> wrote:

        > Anybody tried them on a VW? I'm thinking about it to get rid of
        the magneto on my 1/2 VW. The mag sticks out so far, I may have C/G
        problems on my trike.

        > http://www.smartplugs.com/
        >

        > -dave

      • David Hempy
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2003
          At 02:14 PM 5/1/2003, Jack Hohner wrote:
          >Dave:
          >A friend of mine is experimenting with SmartPlugs in his Mooney. The
          >turbo charging seems to be causing some problem. The ignition timing
          >is based on compression. The company is close to me here in Spokane,
          >WA....60 miles north in Sandpoint, Idaho. The inventor has
          >demonstrated them for our chapter....they are pretty impressive.
          >They have flown them quite a bit in a SuperCub. They should work
          >fine in a VW.

          Sounds pretty good...

          >One comment.....you can forget handpropping. There is
          >no way to retard ignition for start-up.

          ...up 'till that. I'm running a 1/2 VW, which doesn't have any starter options that I'm aware of. And I'm trying to get to simpler anyway.

          I'll get in touch with the developer and see what he says. Do you know his name?

          -dave

          --
          David Hempy
          Internet Database Administrator
          Kentucky Educational Television
          (859)258-7164 - (800)333-9764

          "Design perfection has been reached
          not when there is nothing left to add,
          but when there is nothing left to take away."
          [RFC1925]
        • Harold Hadaller
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2003
            I don't think they will work on aviation fuel. Just auto fuel or I could
            have it backwards. There is that restriction though. I saw them at Sun &
            Fun last year but not this year. Cheaper than a magneto if they work.

            Hal

            > Anybody tried them on a VW? I'm thinking about it to get rid of the
            magneto on my 1/2 VW. The mag sticks out so far, I may have C/G problems on
            my trike.

            > http://www.smartplugs.com/
            >

            > -dave
            >
            > --
            > David Hempy
            > Internet Database Administrator
            > Kentucky Educational Television
            > (859)258-7164 - (800)333-9764
            >
            > "Design perfection has been reached
            > not when there is nothing left to add,
            > but when there is nothing left to take away."
            > [RFC1925]

          • George Brewer
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2003
              Matthew, wish you had posted sooner. I was in San Juan de la Maguana for a week and spent Saturday in Santo Domingo. Would have stopped in to say Hi. Next time. Good luck with your project...gb...