Re: 1/2 VW questions

  • Robert Nilsson <nilssonr@syncor.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1 11:58 AM
      Ok,

      thanks all for the information. Now I have to decide what to do.....

      Thanks and best regards
      Robert

      --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "DanielBK <danielbk@y...>"

    • gobbler_s <mgraves@usmo.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1 3:28 PM
        Gene Smith of Valley Engineering, The guy that makes the VW redrive
        Great Plains sells for the full VW.

        http://www.culverprops.com/

        Gene has tried to make a redrive or adapt his current redrive for the
        1/2 VW. The conversation I had with him last fall, was that he
        couldn't get one to work, after several months of trying. There was
        just too much vibration and he is longer trying to make one.

        If Gene has given up on the idea, I would be VERY leary about
        starting to make one myself for the 1/2. He is an ME, with lots of
        experience with gates belts, VW's, and redrives.

        I am not saying its impossible, just that it is apparently harder
        than one might first imagine.

        Monty

        <danielbk@y...> wrote:
        > > >Third question has anyone tried to put a belt reduction drive on
        > > >1/2 VW? If so did it work well?
        >
        > > Jon Jacobs up near Cleveland built an HTD belt reduction. He said
        > > it pulled like a team of mules...for about 45 minutes, when the
        > > belt started shedding teeth. ...
        >
        > For a good analysis of a belt failure, try:
        > http://www.ultralightnews.ca/advisories1/challengerbeltadvisory.htm
        >
        > Gates Rubber now peddles their "Power Grip" series as significantly
        > superior to HTD belts, though they caution repeatedly against using
        > any of their products for aircraft and direct their retailers not to
        > sell them for that purpose. Sign up & get their catalog, literature
        > & software:
        > http://www.gates.com/ (Industrial section, Power Transmission)
        >
        > Hoverhawk will sell you the hardware:
        > http://www.hoverhawk.com/
        >
        > Don Stewart has a PSRU, the "Maximizer", that has a good reputation.

        > Go to the Plans page & download the large TIFF format drawings of
        > both the new & old version:
        > http://www.stewartaircraft.com/
        >
        > Other folks will sell you a PSRU for $1000+. Doesn't take long to
        > price yourself out of a VW.
        >
        > All the above notwithstanding, I figure a reduction drive is just
        > more stuff to go wrong. I'd settle for less oomph in favor of
        > reliability.
        >
        > Daniel
      • David Hempy
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1 4:43 PM
          Has anyone tried mounting a Rotax C box on one? I know that kinda blows the ultra-cheap engine approach, but frankly, that's not everyone's goal. Seems like if we could get a gearbox to run well on one, you might be in the HKS ballpark, performance wise, at half the cost.

          Not sure how you'd mount it, but let's just assume for a moment some clever guy (smarter than me) figured that part out. Would it get the job done, or would the VW eat that redrive up, too?

          Or maybe a Hirth gearbox? Seems like they've got a 100 HP box...or was it 2SI?

          -dave

          --
          David Hempy
          Internet Database Administrator

          "Design perfection has been reached
          not when there is nothing left to add,
          but when there is nothing left to take away."
          [RFC1925]
        • marcus miller <marcusm14_14@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1 5:06 PM
            Hi,
            I saw these links and thought you might want to look at them. Maybe
            they will help you out?
            http://www.altimizer.com/psru.html
            http://www.greatplainsas.com/pg12a.html

            Take care,

            Marcus---

          • gobbler_s <mgraves@usmo.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2 5:23 AM
              Gene Smith, makes these redrives for them. It is the same redrive
              that is on his site. See Below. Great Plains and Altimizer just
              resell the redrives for him to be used on their engines.

              http://www.culverprops.com/

              You may have meant that, I wasn't clear. If so disregard :-)

              Monty

              --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "marcus miller <marcusm14_14@y...>"