Re: Zenith/Bendix Carburetor

  • Ryan Young
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      Here's the book I have:
      http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/large.php?fm_itemid=2104
      And here is another one:
      http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/large.php?fm_itemid=2105
      Order them by going here:
      http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/catalog.htm
      and drilling down to Model A books.

      It depends on how much fussing you want to do in the shop. Fixing the
      needle on your Ultracarb will take about 3 hours. Installing the new carb
      will take - who knows!? But 3 days or more is as good a guess as I can
      manage. You'll NEED carb heat if you don't already have it. An air filter.
      The manifold may need to be changed and the engine controls certainly will.

      You sound committed, just reminding you what you're in for.
      --
      Ryan R Young
      Oakland, CA

      > From: "Bernard Melendez, Jr."

      > Ryan,
      > You're a life saver and I really appreciate your
      > prompt response. I'll try Google to try and find more
      > poop on this carb. Mine is not cast iron but looks
      > like cast aluminum. It also appears to be the same one
      > that GPAS sells. I'd just like to get my Corby's VW
      > running smooth and dependably. Seems like the Ultra
      > carbs are finicky and who needs that? Sometimes I wish
      > that I had built something with a Continental or Lyc.
      > Anyway, Thanks for responding so soon. By the way, if
      > you have an Aircraft Spruce catalog, there's a pic of
      > my Starlet in it under the section that shows the
      > material kits that they sell. Also there's some pics
      > of it in some of the Corby Starlet sites. As they say
      > here in Texas, "you'all have a good day, you hear?"
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Bernardo Melendez, jr.
    • CW Crane
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
        I have a Zenith industrial carburetor (which is the replacement for the Model A)
        on my 1700 cc VW. Setting the mixture is quite simple. If you have ever
        adjusted the mixture on a lawn mower then you know how to tune the Zenith. An
        in flight mixture modification would be to add an arm to the mixture screw but I
        do not think it is necessary with the kind of flying we do with a VW engine.

        CW