Re: [AirVW] CHTs

  • subknave
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 6, 2013
      As long as the head temps are below 400 F you should be okay. There are generally two reasons you want to monitor CHTs in my opinion. One is to see any sudden spike which would indicate detonation and the other is to ensure you don't have a general cooling problem. Since your oil temps seem to be fine you may look at reconfiguring any baffling or cleaning out any flash between the fins in order to increase cooling for the heads.

      Rodney
    • edd
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 13, 2013
        Hi Dave

        I have 150 C at the head and 140 F oil temp even on the hottest days (UK). I have calibrated the gauges and double checked the oil temp with a long thermometer into the sump. I have a fully enclosed pressure cowling with a very large intake and a scoop into the oil cooler which has resulted in the overcooling. I baffled the exit points and blanked off the oil cooler which has raised the temperature to the levels seen above but even with the cylinder tins removed it still runs cool.
        The point I am making is that the full pressure cowling obviously works well so if your temperature problem persists a cowling may provide the answer.
        I read on the VW car forums that 180-220 F is normal for the engine so you may well be well within limits anyway.

        --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "dave.unwin@..." <dave.unwin@...> wrote:

        > Hi All, I have a Jodel D.9 powered by a VW1600 and think the CHTs are a bit high, and am wondering what other Bebe operators see. At 2,500ft QNH and with an OAT of 11°C (52°F), at 3,000rpm I get 70kts IAS with an oil pressure of 30psi, an oil temp of 94°C (200°F) and CHTs of 200°C (392°F).
        > Cheers, Dave

      • proptop98
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2013

          How about the cooling plate UNDER the oil pan?  If that is missing you will run hot.

          ---In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, <airvw@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Hi Dave

          I have 150 C at the head and 140 F oil temp even on the hottest days (UK). I have calibrated the gauges and double checked the oil temp with a long thermometer into the sump. I have a fully enclosed pressure cowling with a very large intake and a scoop into the oil cooler which has resulted in the overcooling. I baffled the exit points and blanked off the oil cooler which has raised the temperature to the levels seen above but even with the cylinder tins removed it still runs cool.
          The point I am making is that the full pressure cowling obviously works well so if your temperature problem persists a cowling may provide the answer.
          I read on the VW car forums that 180-220 F is normal for the engine so you may well be well within limits anyway.

          --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "dave.unwin@..." <dave.unwin@...> wrote:

          > Hi All, I have a Jodel D.9 powered by a VW1600 and think the CHTs are a bit high, and am wondering what other Bebe operators see. At 2,500ft QNH and with an OAT of 11°C (52°F), at 3,000rpm I get 70kts IAS with an oil pressure of 30psi, an oil temp of 94°C (200°F) and CHTs of 200°C (392°F).
          > Cheers, Dave

        • jwzumwalt
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 14, 2013

            Engine Idle RPM

            600 - 800 RPM

            Cruise RPM

            3200 +/- 200

            Maximum RPM

            3600

            Minimum oil temperature

            160°F

            Maximum oil temperature

            230°F

            Cruise oil temperature

            200°F

            Minimum oil pressure at cruise

            23 PSI

            Maximum oil pressure at cruise

            70 PSI

            Maximum oil pressure - cold

            100 PSI

            Cylinder head temperature at cruise

            350°-375°F

            Cylinder head temperature during climb

            420°F (5 min)

            Do not exceed cylinder head temperature

            450°F

            Exhaust gas temperature at cruise

            1150°F

            Do not exceed exhaust gas temperature

            1500°F

            I have been collecting VW engine data and this is what I have found from several manuals and sources. More info is avalable at

            http://skysaber.com/design/engine/vw_4_cylinder/

            ---In airvw@yahoogroups.com, <rhdixon1@...> wrote:

            How about the cooling plate UNDER the oil pan?  If that is missing you will run hot.

            ---In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, <airvw@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Hi Dave

            I have 150 C at the head and 140 F oil temp even on the hottest days (UK). I have calibrated the gauges and double checked the oil temp with a long thermometer into the sump. I have a fully enclosed pressure cowling with a very large intake and a scoop into the oil cooler which has resulted in the overcooling. I baffled the exit points and blanked off the oil cooler which has raised the temperature to the levels seen above but even with the cylinder tins removed it still runs cool.
            The point I am making is that the full pressure cowling obviously works well so if your temperature problem persists a cowling may provide the answer.
            I read on the VW car forums that 180-220 F is normal for the engine so you may well be well within limits anyway.

            --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "dave.unwin@..." <dave.unwin@...> wrote:

            > Hi All, I have a Jodel D.9 powered by a VW1600 and think the CHTs are a bit high, and am wondering what other Bebe operators see. At 2,500ft QNH and with an OAT of 11°C (52°F), at 3,000rpm I get 70kts IAS with an oil pressure of 30psi, an oil temp of 94°C (200°F) and CHTs of 200°C (392°F).
            > Cheers, Dave

          • jwzumwalt
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 14, 2013

[...]

               I have collected quite a bit of vw engine info. This is engine limits that I have gotten from several sources. They all pretty much concur on these values.

              More info is available on my site at...