Oil Cooler Installation - The Rest of the Story

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2013
      Oil Cooler Installation - The Rest of the Story

      Those following the progress since last winter will remember we were looking into installing an oil cooler. A oil cooler was fitted below the engine sump and a new oil filter mount with cooler hookups developed. But, before final installation we fixed a few issues with the engine setup and temperatures were at the time back in the green range.

      Well, as the OAT started approaching 100 down here the oil temp was getting near the top of the green during climbs and touch and go drills. So, we went ahead and installed it to deal with the hot weather.

      Good news! It is really effective, lowering the temperature near 30 degrees. Yesterday made a 1.5 hour flight at cruise speed including several cruise climbs with the temperature well in the green.

      The cooler mount is really simple and uses the 4 existing shroud screws on each corner of the sump. The hoses are routed from the back so that the cooler can be swung down to get to the oil drain plug easily.

      It is real nice to see all things in the green while at steady cruise for long periods. Just the type of confidence builder needed for next months 3 hour cruise legs we will be making on the way to Oshkosh.

      It is also nice to have things ready this early.

      Thanks, Bruce
      BK Fliers LLC