Re: [AirVW] 76' Type 2/4

  • carl
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 27, 2013
      what is the engine code stamped on the top of the block teh first 2 alpha letters such as CV, GD, etc.  I have a few of those type engine cases and internals laying around.  I am in Jacksonville florida

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 27, 2013

        Sorry but you can't just swap out case halves, they are a matched set. Either have the case half professionally repaired or find another complete case. Bart

        I bought an engine from an Airforce guy for 300$ awhile back.
        It came with rebuilt heads, new pistons & cylinders, rings, factory FI+plenum+tubes and exhaust manifold. I bought an "009 distributor, tappets, gasgets, stud kit etc.
        The right side case half is damaged. A stud was banged up, so rather than going to a shop, I thought, "I'll handle this", so the stud broke off, and I tried to drill it out, but the bit went off center and mucked up the hole. So I need to get a right side case half.

      • rlpearce23
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 27, 2013
          The cases are bored as a pair. You'll need a complete case, both sides.

          --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, carl <brnbr@...> wrote:

          > what is the engine code stamped on the top of the block teh first 2 alpha letters such as CV, GD, etc.  I have a few of those type engine cases and internals laying around.  I am in Jacksonville florida
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Eric & Christine McKenney
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 28, 2013
            On a rebuild I would have it line bored either way, replacing one half or the full set, its your choice.

            To: AirVW@yahoogroups.com
            From: oldevolkshome@...
            Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 05:15:16 +0000
            Subject: [AirVW] Re: 76' Type 2/4

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 28, 2013
              I have complete cases.

              The cases are bored as a pair. You'll need a complete case, both sides.

              --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, carl wrote:

              > what is the engine code stamped on the top of the block teh first 2 alpha letters such as CV, GD, etc.  I have a few of those type engine cases and internals laying around.  I am in Jacksonville florida
              >

              > ________________________________

            • subknave
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 28, 2013

                Since the case of the type 4 is aluminum why don't you just have the hole welded and retapped? Seems that might be a simpler solution than buying and redoing a new case but I guess it depends on how much a new case would cost you.

                Rodney

                To: AirVW@yahoogroups.com
                From: oldevolkshome@...
                Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 05:15:16 +0000

                The cases are bored as a pair. You'll need a complete case, both sides.

                --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, carl wrote:

                > what is the engine code stamped
                on the top of the block teh first 2 alpha letters such as CV, GD, etc.  I have a few of those type engine cases and internals laying around.  I am in Jacksonville florida

                ________________________________

              • f4u4me
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 28, 2013
                  About half of the threaded portion of the stud is still in the hole.
                  I'm not shure how to get it out.

                  --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, Justin Schoeman <justin.schoeman@...> wrote:

                  > You can't just replace one half. They are machined as a pair.
                  > Is there not enough meat left for a thread insert of some sort?
                • Justin Schoeman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 28, 2013
                    It is not just the line bore.  The cam bore, oil pump bore, rear main seal and rear bearing flange are all machined together.  It is just asking for trouble to try an mix case halves.

                    To: AirVW@yahoogroups.com
                    From: oldevolkshome@...
                    Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 05:15:16 +0000

                    The cases are bored as a pair. You'll need a complete case, both sides.

                    --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, carl wrote:

                    > what is the engine code stamped on the top of the block teh first 2 alpha letters such as CV, GD, etc.  I have a few of those type engine cases and internals laying around.  I am in Jacksonville florida
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • SPG

                      From: oldevolkshome@...
                      Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 05:15:16 +0000

                      The cases are bored as a pair. You'll need a complete case, both sides.

                      --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, carl wrote:

                      > what is the engine code stamped on the top of the block teh first 2 alpha letters such as CV, GD, etc.  I have a few of those type engine cases and internals laying around.  I am in Jacksonville florida

                    • regnabo
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 28, 2013
                        I should have added also about doing any welding to the case, if you dont know be sure determine whether your case is Alum or Magnesium. One would hope a welding shop knows the difference but hoping after the fact will not fix a ruined case either. Stan

                        Stan

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 1, 2013
                          Most of the threaded portion is still in the hole, I'll check some shops for the cost to remove, weld, red-rill and tap.