vwaircraftengines.com

  • michael.defeyter
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2013
      Hello everybody,

      There are many people that like the yahoo groups as a platform for discussion forums like this one, they're simple and easy to use, in de end we're just aircraft (engine) builders wanting to share our knowledge, experiences, pains and joys we encounter in our not so common hobbies.

      That said, there are other people who think the yahoo groups lack some basic functionality like a descent search function, categorization of topics, embedding of pictures and video clips and much more features modern day forum software can provide.
      For this reason I've created vwaircraftengines.com.

      vwaircraftengines.com is a new forum for all VW aircraft engine builders and owners based on a modern forum software platform.
      The forum contains specific sub-forums for all 4 of the major VW engine conversion suppliers as well as general and technical sub-forums.

      As of now the forum is open to the public, why not come and check it out, registration only takes a minute:
      http://www.vwaircraftengines.com

      Regards,
      Michael
    • michael.defeyter
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 12

        It seems my yearly domain & web hosting renewal for vwaircraftengines.com is due again early February.

        I am wondering though, since this forum has really become a one man blog, is there any value in renewing?

        I already have a project blog here http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz.

        The forum was started with the idea of providing a “better” (depends on what you consider to be “better”) forum platform than what the yahoo groups can offer for Aero VW engine related discussions,

        We had some great success in at the start but participation has dropped right off to nearly zero.

        Later I did attempt kicking new life in the forum by backing up the now closed down AeroVee forum, with little success though.

        So I am seriously considering not paying the web hosting renewal this year.

        If anybody can give me a reason to keep it alive for at least another year I am happy to do so but as it is now, I’ll probably take it down.

        I’ll keep the domain name and a backup of the forum off course so it can be resurrected at any time we might need to (perhaps if/when yahoo decide to give up forum hosting).

        So please let me know, do you think I should keep the forum and if so, why?

        Thanks,

        Michael

        vwaircraftengines.com - Index page

      • Paul Sabatier
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 13

          What sort of money are you looking at?

          Regards
          Paul Sabatier

        • robertcorrow@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 13
            You've got some pretty informative posts and pretty close to a gazillion photos. I like the site. How much does your annual renewal cost?
          • michael.defeyter
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 13
              Not too concerned about the cost.
              $19.98 for the domain, $83.88 for the web hosting service (Australian).

              If people see any value in the forum being there I'm happy to pay for another year.
              Happy to see there is at least one.

            • jwzumwalt
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 13
                I manage several commercial sites and use webhostingpad.com
                If you buy 5yrs at a time it is $2 mo = $24yr
                I use aplus.net for domain names and it is $10yr if you buy 5yrs at a time.

                I would be willing to assist if you decided to move your site.

                I am the president and host eaachapter837.org, skysaber.com,
                and many others.

              • Bill Maxwell
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 13
                  I think it would be a shame to see forum go, Michael. I haven't been working on my VW project for the past couple of years but I will need to get back to it once I get some other work out of the way.

                  On 14/01/2015 9:25 AM, michael_de_feyter@... [AirVW] wrote:

                  If people see any value in the forum being there I'm happy to pay for another year.
                  Happy to see there is at least one.

                • Jeff Lange
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 13
                    I for one would like to see it continue!

                    Jeff Lange
                    Sonerai I - Skyeracer

                    On Jan 13, 2015, at 4:41 PM, Bill Maxwell wrmaxwell@... [AirVW] <AirVW@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    I think it would be a shame to see forum go, Michael. I haven't been working on my VW project for the past couple of years but I will need to get back to it once I get some other work out of the way.

                    On 14/01/2015 9:25 AM, michael_de_feyter@... [AirVW] wrote:

                    If people see any value in the forum being there I'm happy to pay for another year.
                    Happy to see there is at least one.

                  • rogercallow
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 14
                      Michael, even though I have already posted on your forum to let you know how much it would be missed if you pulled the plug, it won't hurt to add my support for its continuation on here as well.

                      Please keep it going!

                    • michael.defeyter
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 14

                        Happy to see there are still a lot of people around who value this forum.

                        Even though active participation has been low for a while, it seems most are more passive supporters.

                        I will keep the forum going.

                        Also many thanks to the people who offered to chip in on the hosting costs, don’t worry about it though.

                        I have an aviation related business (sort of, see: http://www.ifms-fs.com if you're interested) which I can bring the costs into.

                        (Off course you can always buy an app from there if you’d want to support the business and the forum. no obligation what so ever off course;-), I sell the apps as flight sim add-ons but they can be used in stand-alone mode using the device GPS as well).

                        Looks like I might have to switch to another web hosting provider though as it would seem I’m getting ripped off.

                        I’ll look into the suggestions people have made on that issue.

                        Thanks all.

                        Michael

                      • vw2l4me
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 15
                          This is the first time Iv'e heard of this site.
                          I'll go check it out.