BK1.3 - Project Update

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2012
      After completing the highly modified Hummel Bird in 2002 and BK1.0 first prototype 2004 projects in less than two years each, some may have thought I had disappeared into the blue somewhere.

      Actually have been much busier than ever with the BK1 prototype 2 project started in spring of 2005. Original projected completion, and I will never live this one down, was Oshkosh 2007.

      Reality is that doing detailed CAD drawings, building parts to the drawings, making corrections, rebuilding parts, then taking about 20,000 photographs to document the process takes many times as much time as just building a plane. So here we are 8 years later with a new FAA approved plane ready for flight testing.

      This aircraft is equipped with the new Great Plain, "HVX" inspired, Flywheel end hub. It is both the lightest and least expensive electric start VW conversion available. Also this plane has the much ask for tricycle gear with steerable nose wheel, and dual ignition.

      Will be releasing the plans after successful flight testing, (here we go with the predictions again) so it should be soon.

      Thanks for all of you that have been patient with me in the 3 times as long as I predicted process. Hope that all the extra time invested will make this a project a success over the long term.

      Thanks, Bruce
      BK Fliers LLC
    • davidclay54
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2012
        I saw the BK1.0 years ago at the EAA fly-in in Hondo, TX and was very impressed. I have checked your website off and on over the years for announcement of plans availability. Glad to see we're almost to that point. Congratulations, Bruce.

        Dave Clay
        Temple, TX
        Sonex 1095 from plans