Re: Engine Choice... PLEASE HELP!

  • h_zwakenberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2012
      Hi Pat,

      thanks for that information, I didn't realize that. Good to keep in mind should the time come to purchase more than just engine parts for my Sonerai.

      cheers
      Hans
      _______________
      http://ibis.experimentals.de

      --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Panzera <editor@...> wrote:

      > Revmaster will sell you a box of parts too.
      > But for the same price... why bother?
      > Why not have the engine assembled and test run by the manufacturer if
      > it doesn't cost more?
      > But again, if you must do it yourself, give Joe a call and request the
      > engine unassembled.
      >
      > Pat
      >
      > On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 3:55 AM, h_zwakenberg <h_zwakenberg@...> wrote:
      > > Eric,
      > >
      > > between the two, GreatPlains offers you  more flexibility as you'd be assembling your configuration yourself (unless you pay Steve to do it for you).  The Revmaster comes assembled.  So depending on whether you want to assemble your own engine or not, perhaps there is no real choice to be made... :)
      > >
      > > cheers
      > > Hans

    • Justin Schoeman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2012
        When you get right down to it, the Revmaster is also the cheapest option
        - once you consider what is included (engine, alternator, dual ignition,
        carb, inlet manifold, oil cooler + plumbing + tinware).

        Justin

        h_zwakenberg wrote:

        > Hi Pat,
        >
        > thanks for that information, I didn't realize that. Good to keep in
        > mind should the time come to purchase more than just engine parts for
        > my Sonerai.
        >
        > cheers
        > Hans
        > _______________
        > http://ibis.experimentals.de
        >
        > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AirVW%40yahoogroups.com>, Patrick
        > Panzera <editor@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Revmaster will sell you a box of parts too.
        > > But for the same price... why bother?
        > > Why not have the engine assembled and test run by the manufacturer if
        > > it doesn't cost more?
        > > But again, if you must do it yourself, give Joe a call and request the
        > > engine unassembled.
        > >
        > > Pat
        > >
        > > On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 3:55 AM, h_zwakenberg <h_zwakenberg@...> wrote:
        > > > Eric,
        > > >
        > > > between the two, GreatPlains offers you more flexibility as you'd
        > be assembling your configuration yourself (unless you pay Steve to do
        > it for you). The Revmaster comes assembled. So depending on whether
        > you want to assemble your own engine or not, perhaps there is no real
        > choice to be made... :)
        > > >
        > > > cheers
        > > > Hans

      • Eric Marenyi
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
          I think Revmaster is a good choice, but not for me. I have a Sonex and the revmaster requires some modifications to the engine mount and possibly the cowl, so since I didn't want to mess with it I decided on going for the Great Plains. After all engines were considered (Aerovee, Hummel, and Great Plains) it was the best option for me. The Hummel was also a great price but I like the crankshaft of the GP better.

          Eric Marenyi
          http://www.mykitlog.com/Sonex825
          (N825SX - Reserved)

        • dogspiritnow
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
            I've recently been in this same situation, having narrowed it down to Revmaster and GP. Then I took a look at Hummel Engines. Scott Casler supplies a great engine, fully assembled, for a price that is hard to beat. I've heard he uses GP's Force One hub on all his engines, but I haven't confirmed it yet. If so that's a big plus.

            As it was, my own application is for single mag, no starter or electrical system, so the Revmaster in standard form would have had a lot of stuff I would not have needed. I figured I could sell the parts if it came to that.

            Chris