synthetic oil

  • garywolf@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2011
      Has anyone had experience with using Castrol Syntec oil in a VW? The engine in my recently purchased plane has been running on conventional multigrade but I am considering changing to synthetic. The fuel used is Shell Super because where I live it has no ehtanol.

      Gary Wolf
    • Gary Gower
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2011
        I use straight 40 W    The sintetic  in a the VW Aircooled has lower heat disipating.

        Gary

          Has anyone had experience with using Castrol Syntec oil in a VW? The engine in my recently purchased plane has been running on conventional multigrade but I am considering changing to synthetic. The fuel used is Shell Super because where I live it has no ehtanol.

        Gary Wolf

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            AirVW-digest@yahoogroups.com
            AirVW-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Roger & Brenda Callow
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2011
          I've used either semi-synthetic and synthetic oils in VW engines in three different a/c since the late 80's and I've never experienced any problems from using it.

          Currently I'm using an own brand (made for a UK store chain) multigrade semi-synthetic in my VP1 which costs a third less than the Castrol alternative and the spec is exactly the same.

        • jim Byrd
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2011
            What weight are you using?
            Can this oil be bought in the us?

            I've used either semi-synthetic and synthetic oils in VW engines in three different a/c since the late 80's and I've never experienced any problems from using it.

            Currently I'm using an own brand (made for a UK store chain) multigrade semi-synthetic in my VP1 which costs a third less than the Castrol alternative and the spec is exactly the same.

          • Robert Corrow
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2011
              Gary,

              Why is that? I always thought the synthetics were just simply better all around. Are there specific reasons that they would be less able to dissipate heat in an aircraft application than in others?

              Bob

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
                Gary, Anecdotal evidence, yes, but I ran one oil change of Castrol Syntec in my wife's Hyundai and promptly started hearing a rod bearing tap. Also Rotax has dropped Castrol as an approved oil for the 912 / 914 series of engines because of a reformulation. Because of both the exhaustive testing done by Rotax and its distributors, I'd look at the ones on Rotax's approved oil list (they also include semi-synthetic for those who primarily run 100LL). The latest Service Instruction with the list is SI-912-016 R4 and can be found at the Rotax Owners website: http://legacy.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_info/serviceinfo/si-912-016-r4.pdf.

                Rick Girard

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
                  Hi Bob,

                  There are lots of facts (reference to seroius studies) that explain that is the several VW groups...  I am no Chemical, I even hated it in school :-)  but  has been a No No  in VW  aircooled engines since I remember.   Also another thing other than the heating transfer, is the lead (if you need to put AV gas sometime), that will not hold it and take it out of the engine...
                  There has to be something in internet, but sincerely Im too old change my mind  :-)

                  There are lots of opinions and "testimonies" with OK using all the diferent types of oils:
                  Straight HD,  non detergent, multigrade, blend, sintetic, etc...   But sice my early VW car time (started working in VW's in 1968...  Hope I can get in hold of one of this classic sedans),  I always have used in my aircooled VW engines  30 or 40 HD in the hot summer months.

                  Some of the Masters say that is not important the brand or the price, but to change the oil regularly as recomended by the buider.

                  I had a friend  when I was in High school and College equivalent here, that had a small VW car collection, about 10,   he daily drove a brand new (if the year) VW Sedan.
                  I helped to keep them tuned and I was the only one in charge of changing the oil of his cars,  taking special care of the oil sump bolts, they didint had oil plug. The oil was changed exactly every 6 months with Quaker State 30 HD, only  that type of oil and brand, even if the car only was drived 1 or two sundays a year!   I was allowed to keep the "used" oil for my beaten (but with rebuilt engine) VW car,  Made it feel a Classic :-)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
                    Brad Penn Racing Oils are the recommended oil for use in air-cooled engines!  The key words here are - "Racing Oils"... have increased Zinc and are Partially Synthetic and are used somewhat as a replacement for Castrol GTX...

                    Ron
                    Check out the links below:

                    :--)
                    :--)
                    :--) Has anyone had experience with using Castrol Syntec oil in a VW?
                    :--) The engine in my recently purchased plane has been running on
                    :--) conventional multigrade but I am considering changing to
                    :--) synthetic. The fuel used is Shell Super because where I live it
                    :--) has no ehtanol.
                    :--)
                    :--) Gary Wolf
                    :--)
                    :--)
                    :--)
                    :--)
                    :--)
                    :--) Reply to sender |
                    :--)
                    :--) Reply to group |
                    :--) Start a New Topic
                    :--)
                    :--)
                    :--) Messages in this topic
                    :--) (1)
                    :--)
                    :--)
                    :--) Recent Activity:
                    :--)
                    :--)
                    :--) -
                  • rogercallow
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
                      --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, jim Byrd <jebnac@...> wrote:

                      > What weight are you using?
                      > Can this oil be bought in the us?

                      Hi Jim

                      The brand of oil I use wouldn't be available in the US but I'm sure if you look in some of the larger motor accessory stores/Home Depot/Wallmart with branches throughout the US, you'll find something similar at a budget price.

                      The spec of my oil is Grade (Weight): 10W/40 ACEA: A3/B3 and API: SL CF which is the same spec as Castrol Magnatex Semi-Synthetic.

                      Good luck
                    • jim Byrd
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
                        Roger,