Removing Loctite 518

  • jpstraley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2011
      This is the best stuff I've used for putting together aluminum cases, VW and otherwise. But if you have to split a case, it can stick like crazy and is hard to remove.

      I emailed Loctite, and they said to use their proprietary material "Chisel". Well, couldn't find it at Lowe's. Went back to my computer and took a look at the materials list for the stuff and found it had methylene chloride. My chemist background told me this was key.

      I used an aerosol paint remover that had methylene chloride prominently on its materials list, and the stuck-on 518 came off like poopie off the baby's bottom! Oh, what a happy baby!

      So, a quick tip for you guys.

      Best wishes
      JP Straley