Re: [AirVW] redrive photos

  • cdnch701
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2010
      G'Day Wayne

      What exactly are you looking for?  Belted  or geared redrive!  Will you install on the flywheel end or pulley end?

      The geared redrive in those photos is Marvin Curries's 1.6 setup!  I was going to go with the exact one... but I don't know what has happened to Marvin.  I have not been able to reach at all... his email does not work and the  last known contact info that I had was a phone number(541-782-2264)  that I got from Mike Francis on the 750Builders group.  Mike purchased the 1.8 setup from Marvin... and he was quite pleased with it... his email is  m_d_francis@....  Another fellow that purchased the 1.6 setup from him was Larry Martin for his 701... I don't know how it has worked out for him.

      I made the decision to go with  a redrive on my VW Type 4 engine... and I wanted to be mounted on the flywheel end.  If I can't get the geared one from Marvin then  I will go belted!

      The belted one that I like is from the fellow in Brazil... Julio, and it mounts on the flywheel end of his 1600cc VW engine.   It is a different setup from what we are use to seeing and very unique... it has a damper between the flywheel end and the drive pulley.  If you want some photos and I have a bunch from him showing the damper and flywheel.  I can also give you his email address if you want... but you have to use a translation service such as Google to translate as he does not speak English

      Let me know Wayne... I have some photos on AirVW showing the thrust plate for a belted redrive of my own design.  I will use that setup if I have to... but I don't want to wind up inventing the wheel!  The Type 1 engine has the same flywheel end as the Type 4... so Julio's setup will work on my engine.

      BTW Wayne which flywheel do you have... the light weight one or the heavy one?

      Ron Leclerc
      Winnipeg, MB Canada
      49-56-27N  097-06-44W
      Elev 729'
      Plans Builder CH701 STOL
      Porsche Power,  Redrive
      www.ronleclerc.net
      cdnch701@...
      infow@...,
      12/1/2010

      -)
      -)
      -) Ok killercat73, whats the story on this redrive? I want to build
      -) my own this winter and some of the stuff there is very
      -) interesting. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
      -) Wayne
      -)
      -)
      -)
    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2010
        Ron,
        I have had the same problem with Marvin, I wounder what is up?
        Kevin

        --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, cdnch701 <infow@...> wrote:

        > G'Day Wayne
        >
        > What exactly are you looking for? Belted or geared redrive! Will you install
        > on the flywheel end or pulley end?
        >
        > The geared redrive in those photos is Marvin Curries's 1.6 setup! I was going
        > to go with the exact one... but I don't know what has happened to Marvin. I
        > have not been able to reach at all... his email does not work and the last
        > known contact info that I had was a phone number(541-782-2264) that I got from
        > Mike Francis on the 750Builders group. Mike purchased the 1.8 setup from
        > Marvin... and he was quite pleased with it... his email is
        > m_d_francis@... Another fellow that purchased the 1.6 setup from him was
        > Larry Martin for his 701... I don't know how it has worked out for him.
        >
        > I made the decision to go with a redrive on my VW Type 4 engine... and I wanted
        > to be mounted on the flywheel end. If I can't get the geared one from Marvin
        > then I will go belted!
        >
        > The belted one that I like is from the fellow in Brazil... Julio, and it mounts
        > on the flywheel end of his 1600cc VW engine. It is a different setup from what
        > we are use to seeing and very unique... it has a damper between the flywheel end
        > and the drive pulley. If you want some photos and I have a bunch from him
        > showing the damper and flywheel. I can also give you his email address if you
        > want... but you have to use a translation service such as Google to translate as
        > he does not speak English
        >
        > Let me know Wayne... I have some photos on AirVW showing the thrust plate for a
        > belted redrive of my own design. I will use that setup if I have to... but I
        > don't want to wind up inventing the wheel! The Type 1 engine has the same
        > flywheel end as the Type 4... so Julio's setup will work on my engine.
        >
        > BTW Wayne which flywheel do you have... the light weight one or the heavy one?

        > Ron Leclerc
        > Winnipeg, MB Canada
        > 49-56-27N 097-06-44W
        > Elev 729'
        > Plans Builder CH701 STOL
        > Porsche Power, Redrive
        > www.ronleclerc.net
        > cdnch701@...
        > infow@...,
        > 12/1/2010
        >
        > -)
        > -)
        > -) Ok killercat73, whats the story on this redrive? I want to build
        > -) my own this winter and some of the stuff there is very
        > -) interesting. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
        > -) Wayne
        > -)
        > -)
        > -)

      • Gary Gower
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2010
          Hello Ron,

          Sure I will also like to see that redrive photos (from Brasil),  great if you could post some of them in the photo seccion.  Thanks in advance

          Gary.

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 2, 2010
            Hey Ron,
             I plan to us a belted redrive on the flywheel end but this is subject to change. I would be interested in ANY pictures or drawings etc. My intention is to come up with a simple setup that most guys can build using as many off the shelf parts as possible. Things like automotive belts so they can go to local parts store and ask for a belt for a " so and so" and not have to deal with a industrial supplier asking questions. Things of this nature. I want to keep it as light as possible of course but it also needs to be bolt on and easy to maintain. Just in the thinking stage right now.
             I run a light 6lb flywheel now. I have a small amount of vibration between approx 2700 and 3600 rpm so I just don't run it in that range. Wide open or idle. Just kidding. I cruise at 3900 engne rpm and it is really smooth and about 24 to 2600 is a good approach rpm so it works out really well. I just can't slow flight.
             I have been running an automotive belt for sometime now with semi success and I want to build on that and change what I see as the shortcomings of the Valley redrive. But I really like what I see in that tooth belt arrangement. With the cooling issue of my engine solved I'm sure I can make some real power if I had a redrive to take it.
             I owe, I owe, so off to work I go. Talk to ya later.
            Wayne
          • Gary Gower
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 2, 2010
              Great Idea Wayne,  please keep posting your findings,

              Remember the perfect invention in aviation is when you cant make it any simpler or any lighter...

              Good Luck

              Gary.

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 2, 2010
                Hey Gary...

                I posted some of the photos to give you an idea what this Brazil Redrive Belted system looks like with the damper!  If you have any questions let me know... and I will see if I can help!

                Enjoy
                Ron

                -)
                -)
                -) Hello Ron,
                -)
                -) Sure I will also like to see that redrive photos (from Brasil),
                -) great if you could post some of them in the photo seccion.  Thanks
                -) in advance
                -)
                -) Gary.
                -)
                -) --- On Wed, 12/1/10, cdnch701 wrote:
                -)
                -)-)
                -)-) From: cdnch701
                -)-) Subject: Re: [AirVW] redrive photos
                -)-) To: AirVW@yahoogroups.com
                -)-) Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 2:38 PM
                -)-)
                -)-)
                -)-) G'Day Wayne
                -)-)
[...]
                -)-) -------------------------------------------
                -)-) Ron Leclerc
                -)-) Winnipeg, MB Canada
                -)-) 49-56-27N  097-06-44W
                -)-) Elev 729'
                -)-) Plans Builder CH701 STOL
                -)-) Porsche Power,  Redrive
                -)-) www.ronleclerc.net
                -)-) cdnch701@...
                -)-) infow@...,
                -)-) 12/1/2010
                -)-)
                -)-)
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 2, 2010
                  Hey Wayne...

                  Sounds good... that is where the redrive should be installed.  I have purchased a complete set of Belted Redrive drawings from Don Parham who was the guru of Soob conversions.  These drawings are for the Soob EA81 right up the EJ33 engines.  The only difference for my Type 4 engine is the thrust plate, starter and flywheel.  I have the thrust plate designed and i'm working on the starter/flywheel setup.

                  Wow that is a light flywheel(6lb) that you have and could be a cause for some vibrations!  The fellows from Brazil used a light weight(12lb) flywheel and they had proms with cracking... so they went to the heavy weight(17lb) one.  The problem with the 12lb was it may have been too light weight as a result of the machining done for the damper.  I'm not sure which one I will use... I was told that the heavier the flywheel the smoother the engine... so I'm leaning towards the 12ib.  I was thinking of the Diehl starter and flywheel but I think it may be to light for the drive pulley install.  Parham built a flywheel from 5/8" 6061 aluminum and fitted with a ring gear from a Toyota I think it was.. for the EA81 engine. That vibration always worries me!

                  Here are 2 - 100mm VW Type 4 flywheels... 130 tooth same as the Type 1(these are 12 volt flywheels)!
                  This is a 12lb Type 4 flywheel... note the 5 large bolt holes and 5 small lighting holes:

                  This the 17lb flywheel note also the 5  large bolt holes:

                  The Redrive plans I have are for a 1.6, 1.8 and 2.1 size pulleys... and it depends on the size of the bottom pulley.  The belt used is a Gates HTD 880 x 85mm... but I would go with 2 belts 880  x 50mm, if I can find a 50mm as such as long as the width does not go below 80mm as a 100mm wide belt is what is used on the Soob EJ33 engine!

                  In the AirVW photos I have a pattern and plywood mockup of the thrust plate for my engine - Type 4 VW/Porsche 914 2100cc.  That pattern will work on the Type 1 engine... same flywheel end but different flywheel. Instead of the gland nut it has 5 high strength bolts!  Take a look and if you need  anything let me know.

                  Back to work...
                  Ron
                  -)
                  -)
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 3, 2010
                    Very well said, I like simple, it usually equates to reliability. If I can get things to settle down at work I plan on at least starting the fabrication this winter. I like the looks of the AC51 from Brazil, it is made similar to what I have in mind. If anyone has any plans, pictures or ideas let me know.
                    Wayne
                  • Kevin
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 6, 2010
                      Wayne,
                      Old info.
                      http://web.archive.org/web/20091019155338/http://geocities.com/redrive_psru/

                      Kevin

                    • rclaggf4u@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 7, 2010
                        Thanks Kevin, I'll take a look. Wayne
                      • Wayne
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 20, 2010
                          I have been looking at most of the redrives out there. I have heard that the boys from Brazil with the AC51 setup use a centrifugal clutch. Do you or anyone else know what clutch they are using? I have looked at everything from a rubber vibration damper for boat drive to a clutch bearing such as that used on the Rotorway helo. Thanks Ron, or anyone else. Wayne

                        • cdnch701
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 20, 2010
                            G'Day Wayne...

                            They "do not use" a  centrifugal clutch!   They have developed a rubber damper system which they now have a patent on from what I understand... it's tough to communicate with them, have to use Google Translate. Here are some photos:

                            Machined 17lb flywheel according to designers specs showing the installed cups! There are 8 total... 4 on the flywheel and 4 on the drive pulley!

                            Damper installed on flywheel!  The backside of the drive pulley has the matching cups where the connection to the damper occurs.  I was not given  any photos of this view...

                            Here is the system... note that they are using the ribbed type of belts not the cog belts.  I'm kind of scared of these belts not proven.  I would use an 8mm GT  pulley(available online from Vibra Racing) with 4 - Gates PowerGrip GT(Royal Supply)  840mm-8M-20 or the 880mm-8M-20... stronger then the old proven HTD belt.  You will have to make pulley hubs for the ribbed type of belt... so you might as well do it right with the 8mm GT!  You can see their other redrive in the background used the cog belts

                            Here is the 8mm GT pulley... available with 43 tooth to 75 tooth!
                            I have been watching the development of this system for quite some time now along with the VW Type 1 1600cc engine along with a turbo and it is very impressive.  Julio has of this weekend put a couple of videos of his flight testing on YouTube... lots of grunt for a 1600cc engine!

                            Julio indicated to me that the cost of the AC-51 is around $2900 not including the flywheel and starter.  It sound like the starter that he used is from a VW Golf... but an Old Omega and  Chevette starter will work also.  You cannot use the light 12lb flywheel, you have to use the 17lb one!

                            Hope that this helps!

                            Ron

                            -)
                            -)
                            -) I have been looking at most of the redrives out there. I have
                            -) heard that the boys from Brazil with the AC51 setup use a
                            -) centrifugal clutch. Do you or anyone else know what clutch they
                            -) are using? I have looked at everything from a rubber vibration
                            -) damper for boat drive to a clutch bearing such as that used on the
                            -) Rotorway helo. Thanks Ron, or anyone else. Wayne
                            -)
                            -) --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, cdnch701 wrote:
                            -)
                            -)-) Hey Wayne...
                            -)-)
[...]
                            -)-)-)
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 20, 2010
                              Hey Wayne...

                              This is a follow up to my last email!   This is what I have so far for my own system.  It will be a flywheel drive setup on my Type 4 engine!  Here are some photos of my parts materials to be ground up based on my RFI drawings... ready for machine shop.  The drawings that I have from RFI are for a EA81 Soob... but can be used for any engine, its just a matter of designing the support thrust plate, and starter system!

                              This material is for the Lower Pulley Support... "C" Channel and 1/4" plate!

                              All of the large pulley hub bearings and Lower Pulley Support Bearing...

                              This is where it will all happen... my design for the thrust plate.  The rear of the Type 4 engine is the same as the Type 1 engine!  This shows the Lower Pulley Support along with the tentative location of the Starter.  This plate will also fit the Type 1 engine.  I'm not sure which length of belt I will use yet,  either the 840mm or 880mm... as the rear of the case will dictate how high I can mount above the drive pulley.  The 840mm belt requires that the center to center pulley distance be 7.106"(180.5mm) and the 880mm belt requires 7.953"(202mm)... I'm leaning towards the 840mm belt!

                              I'm doing up a CAD design to see how much that the top of the case will have to be machined... along with making a plywood mockup of both plates along with my 17lb flywheel!    RFI had to machine the EA81 case also... as did Stratus for their Soob design.   Now I'm not sure how much room the Type 1 case has behind the flywheel... so the length of the belt used will depend on this requirement!  On my first design I was going to use an 80 tooth upper pulley and 38 tooth lower pulley 2.20:1  ratio so what you see in this  photo is the center to center distance is 7.75"... but I could not acquire 80 tooth pulleys locally (only from Australia - $250/per) so I had to settle for the 75/43 ratio 1.744!

                              I also included some ears for the engine mount... the ones on the bottom are needed... but not sure of the 2 on the top!    The thrust plate is 5/8" 6061 T6 aluminum!  The starter is mounted on the prop side of the plate so will need a 3" or 4" prop adaptor for the prop to clear the starter.

                              I don't  know why the redrive was ever developed and installed on the pulley end of the Type 1 engine... as it cannot be installed on the Type 4 pulley end, not even close... it would have made more sense to develop the flywheel end... hence both engines could be looked after without spending the $1000+ for the right crank along with the required machining... my idea is to try and keep it simple as much as possible, don't try and get to fancy.  I look at the VE Series 3 redrive and it does not look simple to me... not even close!

                              Here is the Soob EA81 redrive that my drawings are based on... flywheel end install!  It's a very nice clean simple unit to build and very well proven... about 600+  were made along with any individual parts if you had to replace anything.  To bad that Don Parham retired from RFI and no one carried on his business!  There were a number of other companies that used his system and acquired parts from him.  You could buy a complete engine conversion(EA81 - EJ33) direct drive or belted redrive... or just a simple drive pulley bearing, he had it all!  That was a huge loss!

                              Wayne I will send you some PDF files of my CAD thrust plate designs as soon as they are done... let me know if you can use at all please!

                              Take care
                              Ron

                              -)
                              -)
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 20, 2010
                                Hi Ron,

                                Any links to the youtube videos of the turbo VW?

                                Thank a lot
                                Gary.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 21, 2010
                                  There you have it Gary!

                                  Ron

                                  -) Hi Ron,
                                  -)
                                  -) Any links to the youtube videos of the turbo VW?
                                  -)
                                  -)
                                  -) Thank a lot
                                  -) Gary.
                                  -)
                                  -) --- On Mon, 12/20/10, cdnch701 wrote:
                                  -)
                                  -)-) From: cdnch701
                                  -)-) Subject: Re: [AirVW] Re: redrive photos
                                  -)-) To: AirVW@yahoogroups.com
                                  -)-) Cc: "cdnch701"
                                  -)-) Date: Monday, December 20, 2010, 10:43 AM
                                  -)-)
                                  -)-)
                                  -)-) G'Day Wayne...
                                  -)-)
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 22, 2010
                                    Thanks again for the info Ron, unfortunately the pictures are not coming through on my end but I have looked at those in the photo section.
                                    From what I was seeing the were not using a clutch but the rubber damper plate as you say.
                                    When you get time I would appreciate any info you can send me, suppliers,designs for revie, etc.
                                    Wayne
                                  • rclaggf4u@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 22, 2010
                                      Thanks Ron, everything came through just fine.

                                      Hope you receive the photos now!

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 26, 2010

                                        Lots of good info there... check it out!

                                        Ron
                                        :--) Thanks Ron, everything came through just fine.
                                        :--)
                                        :--)
                                        :--) In a message dated 12/22/2010 12:32:08 P.M. Eastern Standard
                                        :--) Time, infow@... writes:
                                        :--)
                                        :--):--)
                                        :--):--) Hope you receive the photos
                                        :--):--) now!
                                        :--)
                                        :--)
                                        :--) G'Day
                                        :--):--) Wayne...
                                        :--):--)
                                        :--):--)
[...]
                                        :--) -)
                                        :--) -)
                                        :--) -) I have been looking at most of the
                                        :--):--) redrives out there. I have
                                        :--) -) heard that the boys from Brazil with
                                        :--):--) the AC51 setup use a
                                        :--) -) centrifugal clutch. Do you or anyone
                                        :--):--) else know what clutch they
                                        :--) -) are using? I have looked at everything
                                        :--):--) from a rubber vibration
                                        :--) -) damper for boat drive to a clutch
                                        :--):--) bearing such as that used on the
                                        :--) -) Rotorway helo. Thanks Ron, or anyone
                                        :--):--) else. Wayne
                                        :--) -)
                                        :--) -) --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, cdnch701
                                        :--):--) wrote:
                                        :--) -)
                                        :--) -)-) Hey Wayne...
                                        :--) -)-)
[...]
                                        :--) -)-)-)
[...]
                                      • chumphol sirinavin
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 26, 2010
                                          Thank you, Ron.
                                          I see that you are now working on the engine.

                                          Have a Happy Holiday Season.

                                          Champ

                                          Lots of good info there... check it out!

                                          Ron
                                          :--) Thanks Ron, everything came through just fine.
                                          :--)
                                          :--)
                                          :--) In a message dated 12/22/2010 12:32:08 P.M. Eastern Standard
                                          :--) Time, infow@... writes:
                                          :--)
                                          :--):--)
                                          :--):--) Hope you receive the photos
                                          :--):--) now!
                                          :--)
                                          :--)
                                          :--) G'Day
                                          :--):--) Wayne...
                                          :--):--)
                                          :--):--)
[...]
                                          :--):--) wrote:
                                          :--) -)
                                          :--) -)-) Hey Wayne...
                                          :--) -)-)

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 27, 2010
                                            Hey Champ...

                                            Best of the new year to you an good to hear from you!

                                            Yes I'm working on my engine and redrive and have made good progress lately.  I have to find a starter to match my flywheel and it looks like there are a few out there.  A VW Golf,  Olds Omega.  and a Chevette all apparently will work... so I'm actively searching on ebay to find one!  Since I talked to you last I have decided to build the redrive for the flywheel end... where it should be.  If I had the dimes I would buy the one from Brazil that Julio has on his new engine... super setup!

                                            Have to get back to building my 701 in the new year... need somewhere to install the engine.  I'm  also researching Turbo's now... would be an nice addition.

                                            Well have to go...

                                            Take care and keep in touch...
                                            Ron

                                            :--)
                                            :--)
                                            :--) Thank you, Ron.
                                            :--) I see that you are now working on the engine.
                                            :--)
                                            :--)
                                            :--) Have a Happy Holiday Season.
                                            :--)
                                            :--)
                                            :--) Champ
                                            :--)
                                            :--) From: Ron Leclerc <infow@...>
                                            :--) To: AirVW@yahoogroups.com
                                            :--) Cc: cdnch701 <cdnch701@...>
                                            :--) Sent: Sun, December 26, 2010 2:57:51 PM
                                            :--) Subject: [AirVW] New Yahoo Users VW Group -  Turbos & EFI...
                                            :--) EFI_VW
                                            :--)
                                            :--)
                                            :--) For those that are interested in EFI and Turbo's for the VW
                                            :--) engine... there is a new Yahoo Users group EFI_VW --
                                            :--)
                                            :--) Lots of good info there... check it out!
                                            :--)
                                            :--) Ron
                                            :--):--) Thanks Ron, everything came through just fine.
                                            :--):--)
                                            :--):--)
                                            :--):--) In a message dated 12/22/2010 12:32:08 P.M. Eastern
                                            :--):--) Standard Time, infow@... writes:
                                            :--):--)
                                            :--):--)
                                            :--):--):--) Hope you receive the photos
                                            :--):--):--) now!
                                            :--):--):--)
                                            :--):--)
                                            :--):--) G'Day
                                            :--):--):--) Wayne...
                                            :--):--):--)
                                            :--):--):--)
[...]
                                            :--):--) -)
                                            :--):--) -)
                                            :--):--) -) I have been looking at most of the
                                            :--):--):--) redrives out there. I have
                                            :--):--) -) heard that the boys from Brazil with
                                            :--):--):--) the AC51 setup use a
                                            :--):--) -) centrifugal clutch. Do you or anyone
                                            :--):--):--) else know what clutch they
                                            :--):--) -) are using? I have looked at everything
                                            :--):--):--) from a rubber vibration
                                            :--):--) -) damper for boat drive to a clutch
                                            :--):--):--) bearing such as that used on the
                                            :--):--) -) Rotorway helo. Thanks Ron, or anyone
                                            :--):--):--) else. Wayne
                                            :--):--) -)
                                            :--):--) -) --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, cdnch701
                                            :--):--):--) wrote:
[...]
[...]