Re: [AirVW] Re: VW cygnet

  • Bill Maxwell
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2010
      Sorry, I have been a little pre-occupied with other issues and have not
      responded to the original post. I welcome the addition of a
      purpose-built Cygnet website.

      I have a Cygnet project, which will be VW 2180cc powered. It is
      presently awaiting fabrication of the engine mount for this engine, with
      a Great Plains accessory case, starter etc and some modifications to the
      undercarriage to return it to Sisler's design, then recovering and painting.

      I didn't build it, that role was played by John Cray while still
      resident in South Africa. He was building to their Experimental rules,
      essentially the same as those in the US as I understand it. He emigrated
      to Perth, Western Australia and brought the project with him. Once here,
      he found Australia didn't have an Experimental category but did have an
      amateur-built category but that required strict adherence to the
      original drawings. John had made several modifications that were now not
      acceptable in his new country. He started to remove them and replace
      with the components called out in Sisler's plans but got caught up in
      the financial crisis of 1987. Ten years later, he decided he would not
      be able to complete the construction, so reluctantly offered it for sale.

      I bought the project from John in January 1997 and started the
      continuation of his remedial work, before becoming aware that Australia
      was soon to get an Experimental category, what's more, it was also going
      to get an ultralight version of that category, good for 544kgs AUW. I
      slowed work to allow that to happen, although it took until late the
      following year. By that time work and career were proving too demanding,
      so I shelved the Cygnet awaiting retirement. In 2005 that happened, so
      the Cygnet accompanied me south from Canberra to Tasmania, where it sits
      in its trailer awaiting my completion of several other projects,
      including a large hangar to allow me to store it and work on its
      completion, along with 2 other aircraft, including a Murphy Rebel. Rest
      assured though, it will fly. My son is ready to complete the task should
      I falter.

      I am familaiar with the other Cygnet projects in Australia, 3 of which I
      know to be flying.

      Somebody reported a while back that Sisler had re-purchased the original
      Cygnet and was looking to install a Jabiru 2200 engine on it. I think
      that would lift the Cygnet into another realm, if my current flying
      aircaft, a Jodel D18 with the Jabiru motor, is any reliable guide. I can
      only describe the performance of the Jodel with the more powerful but
      lighter Jab motor as magical!

      Bill, Powranna, Tasmania, Oz.

      cygnetsf2a wrote:
      > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Tappan <dancfi@...> wrote:
      >

      >> --- On Fri, 8/27/10, dan <danjudy3@...> wrote:
      >> Hi there other !
      >>
      >> The only concern I had about the Cygnet was that it did not have much fire wall forward information from what I understand. Thats why I would like to start a web site & Yahoo.group. Guys like you have a wealth of knowledge and I am hoping you will let me pick your brain once I get started
      >> Making this project less confusing with a builders site and links will probably help more folks build this great little aircraft.
      >> Old man Dan
      >>

      > Hi Group
      >
      > We are building 3 Cygnets in South Africa. The fire wall forward info in the plans was for the HAPI 1835 engine which was pretty much plug-n-play in 1990. The engine mount bolted onto the Type 3 case through rubber bushings. Throttle & carb heat was by cable & that's about as simple as it got.
      > We are going Type 4 case with cast iron barrels with aluminium fins at 2300 CCs with a prop bearing which fits into the crank case & has a mounting flange which bolts onto the 4 studs on the front of the case. An oil supply is tapped of the oil gallery which feeds the cam & oil returns back into the case along the prop flange.
      > I will take some pics in about a month as I am tying to finish our 40 x 80 foot hangar at the local airfield.
      >
      > Regards
      > Paul

    • Roger
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2010
        My brother has a Cygnet with a 65 hp GP conversion in it.

        --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "TldrgrDan" <dancfi@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys
        > looking for anyone that has built or owns a vw powered cygnet.
        > Want to start a web site to document my future build of the Cygnet.
        > The old man..Taildragger Dan

      • Daniel Tappan
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2010

          Sorry, I have been a little pre-occupied with other issues and have not
          responded to the original post. I welcome the addition of a
          purpose-built Cygnet website.

          Hi Bill

          You might be interested in this email I got from Bert Sisler.

          Hi Dan, An answer to your email. We now have a Jabiru in the plane. Bought plane back couple years ago, restored it . Have 60 hrs on it now and of course flys better than ever. It first had an 1830 cc VW, with which it flew fine, tho no electrecs. Present weight with Ja biru (and electrics) weighs same as original. Haven't  checked airspeed but think is 10 mph faster, with better climb. It was plenty good before. I changed to Jabiru because I was working on design of 6  place trimotor, and wanted to get familiar with Jab engine but have given that up. Because of cost, I think I would have done just as well with 2180 cc VW, and from experience the VW is much easier to start in colder weatheer. This might be different if I had primer lines in cylinders a la conventional engines. Jab uses a choke in carb (a BING carb) which doesn't get combustible mixture into cylinder worth a hoot for temps below 25 deg. You and I know what winter is.

          >                                                        From the other side of the world..

                                                                     The old man .....Taildragger Dan

        • Bill Maxwell
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2010
            Thanks for that Dan.

            Bert would undoubtedly had a less expensive outcome with the 2180 VW and
            probably would have had easier starts in temperatures below 25 deg but
            he would not get performance to match the Jabiru, once it gets started.
            Two of the three Cygnets known to be flying in Australia have the 2180,
            with electrics which are very good to have, but they dont really offer
            any improvement in performance above the 1830 cc. The third Australian
            example, and the one with which I am most familiar, has the 1830 and no
            electrics. Weight is the principal factor at work there.

            Same story with my Jodel. Originally designed around a 1700cc VW, or
            thereabouts, but with the Jabiru I have full electrics, 100 knot cruise,
            fuel consumption of 12 litres per hour best rate of climb solo at 1350
            fpm. The Jabiru really transforms the aircraft's performance - but the
            acquisition cost is something else again!

            Bill

> [...]
          • Daniel Tappan
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
              Hey Bill.
              Good to hear from you. If you talk to any of your Cygnet flying buddies maybe you could tell them about the new Cygnetaircraftgroup@....Would love to here anything related about Cygnets from "the other side" Pictures , stories, bragging anything Cygnet related.
                                                                                                                  Happy Flying!
                                                                                            The old man......Taildragger Dan