Type III question

  • Mustafa KABASAKAL
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 395 KB
    Hi,
    I want to ask a question about a Type III VW engine to you experienced guys. I have an VW engine with the serial number T0602450 which I understand is a 67-68 model dual carb Type III engine. I want to use this engine on a homebuilt aircraft after rebuilding (pusher type). What will be the Hp that I can get without doing too much modification to the original engine and what will be the weight of it? And if you have can you please share some photos of Type III AirVW engine.

    Thanks in advance.

    Mustafa KABASAKAL
  • Eric & Christine McKenney
    Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2010
      It will be the same as a type 1 engine , the only difference had to do with the cooling system and posssibly the carburetors.

      To: AirVW@yahoogroups.com
      From: mkabas@...
      Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 01:40:27 -0700
      Subject: [AirVW] Type III question [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from Mustafa KABASAKAL included below] Hi,
      I want to ask a question about a Type III VW engine to you experienced guys. I have an VW engine with the serial number T0602450 which I understand is a 67-68 model dual carb Type III engine. I want to use this engine on a homebuilt aircraft after rebuilding (pusher type). What will be the Hp that I can get without doing too much modification to the original engine and what will be the weight of it? And if you have can you please share some photos of Type III AirVW engine.

      Thanks in advance.

      Mustafa KABASAKAL

    • Gary Gower
      Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2010
        Hello Mustafa,

        If you just change the cil/piston set to convert your engine to 1,835 cc  there is no weight gain and the engine has more power.  If you are going to rebuilt the engine, a good thing to do is to have special attention on the valves, mainly  the exhaust ones.

        Gary Gower.

        To: AirVW@yahoogroups.com