TTOE ???

  • millerdvr1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2009
      Whats your total time on your VW conversion ? Lets see how they are really doing .

      I'll bet the numbers will suprise all the ney sayers!!!

      Chris

      please post your engine series and displacement, and any other info you woul like us to know about your motor.
    • danjudy3@verizon.net

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2009
          HAPI 1835 cc, 60 hp claimed, single port heads, Ellison throttle body

          Original owner put 300 hours on it at Corona CA before moving to 4430 Ft in Utah. Owner changed heads to Scat/HAPI individual heads and sold it at 325 hrs. HAPI alternator self destructed at 335 hrs requiring retrofitting a Great Planes flywheel and alternator to it.

          I put 100 hours on the heads with cht reading 300 F but valves were stretching. Changed Heads to CB 40,s with second spark plugs added.

          At 650 Hours a cylinder stay broke and the end play was excessive The bearings were all worn on the edges I considered it worn out.

          Found another HAPI replacement 1835 cc with reported less than 40 hrs on it. Installed the long block had a valve job done on the CB heads flew it 250 hours and the prop hub to crankshaft connection (assumed HAPI factory assembled) failed wiping out the case.

          My flight profile was 100 hours a year with multiple cross country flights up to 1115 statute miles a day at 10,500  west or 9,500 east with occasions to 11,500. Based at OGD 4430 MSL.

          Never enough power for the Dragonfly airframe.

          Regards,

          One Sky Dog

          In a message dated 6/3/2009 4:47:29 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, wetstick666@... writes:

          Whats your total time on your VW conversion ? Lets see how they are really doing .

          I'll bet the numbers will suprise all the ney sayers!!!

          Chris

          please post your engine series and displacement, and any other info you woul like us to know about your motor.

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
            1300 hrs on ~2000cc Series 1 VW.

            Previous owner had Limbach Crank nose at hub cracked at ~1250 hours but replaced with a new one and is running fine again.