Re: Rebuild a VW ~2000cc

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 20 1:28 PM
      Bill,

      I took your advice and got my new 90.5mm piston/cylinders from GeneBerg
      balanced and honed by them.

      I should know in another month how it all comes together and works but
      it is looking really good so far.

      I have been following the Great Planes guide for engine work and am
      very pleased with the tips and accuracy that I am now putting into the
      overhaul.

      Its all about tolerences and I am following the guides to the letter as
      a precision builder would.

      Ray

      --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Clark" <dba4you@...> wrote:

      > Ray,
      >

      > If I were you, I'd talk to the Berg boys at Gene Berg Enterprises in
      Orange.
      > They are the absolute GODs of automotive VW survival and they have
      tried
      > just about everything. You pay through the nose for their parts and
      machine
      > work, but I have never run across an unhappy customer unless they
      ignored
      > Berg's instructions and/or warnings or misrepresented their
      application, and
      > I'd rather pay high prices for engine parts than face the high cost of
      > litigation any day!
    • k_mccune
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 23 10:48 AM
        This brand of forged pistons was used on some higher end European
        dirtbikes KTM/Huskvarna come to mind..back in the 80s and 90s. Sorry
        no VW info, but it may help you get a line on what you want.

        Kevin

        --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <jb92563@...> wrote:

        > I have a ~2000+ cc VW aero conversion that I want to overhaul. 78.4
        > stroke and 91.5 mm bore apparently
        >
        > I am using a Limbach Crank.
        >
        > I measured the cylinders and pistons and found that they seem to be
        > 91.5 mm size.
        >
        > Anyone know of a source for this size cylinders/pistons/rings ?
        >
        > The old pistons have "Mahle" on the casting and they are flat topped.
        >
        > I also wondered how the cylinders might interchange if I wanted to go
        > to a 90.5mm of 92mm cylinder. Is the outside diameter similar on any of
        > these sizes.
        >
        > If I went to the smaller 90.5mm cylinders and the case is drilled for
        > the 91.5mm are there reducers required or how would I accomodate the
        > smaller cylinders(assuming the OD is actually smaller).
        >
        > Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.
        >
        > Ray

      • Brian & Pat Stone
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 26 6:18 PM
          Hi Kevin,

          Your VW aero conversion may well be a Limbach certified engine, since you
          say you're using a Limbach crank. (If so, for my own info as I have a
          Limbach L2000, what model might yours be?)

          My overhaul manual for the Limbach L2000 and L2400 doesn't mention the
          manufacturer of pistons, but says about cylinders:-
          "The four cylinders of high silicon aluminum alloy with a NICASIL
          (nickel-silicon carbide Mahle Trademark) coating. These cylinders feature
          extremely light weight and enhanced cooling characteristics compared to
          cast iron cylinders".

          Unless you are committed to increasing your engine's capacity you could
          always investigate spares from Limbach. In 1987 Limbach Aircraft Corp.
          was located in Zurich and in Tulsa, OK. See
          http://www.limbach.de

          Cheers
          Brian Stone.
          | |
          | Brian and Pat Stone, Canberra, Australia |
          | Ph h +61/0 2 6254 5525 m +61/0 413 08 7631 |
          | stones@... _or_ bjs@... |
          |_____________________________________________|

          On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, k_mccune wrote:

          > This brand of forged pistons was used on some higher end European
          > dirtbikes KTM/Huskvarna come to mind..back in the 80s and 90s. Sorry
          > no VW info, but it may help you get a line on what you want.
          >
          > Kevin
          >

          > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <jb92563@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I have a ~2000+ cc VW aero conversion that I want to overhaul. 78.4
          >> stroke and 91.5 mm bore apparently
          >>
          >> I am using a Limbach Crank.
          >>
          >> I measured the cylinders and pistons and found that they seem to be
          >> 91.5 mm size.
          >>
          >> Anyone know of a source for this size cylinders/pistons/rings ?
          >>
          >> The old pistons have "Mahle" on the casting and they are flat topped.
          >>
          >> I also wondered how the cylinders might interchange if I wanted to go
          >> to a 90.5mm of 92mm cylinder. Is the outside diameter similar on any of
          >> these sizes.
          >>
          >> If I went to the smaller 90.5mm cylinders and the case is drilled for
          >> the 91.5mm are there reducers required or how would I accomodate the
          >> smaller cylinders(assuming the OD is actually smaller).
          >>
          >> Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.
          >>
          >> Ray

        • HAROLD DIRKS
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 27 7:25 AM
            Check out this URL for limbach engines:

            hrdirks

            Your VW aero conversion may well be a Limbach certified engine, since you
            say you're using a Limbach crank. (If so, for my own info as I have a
            Limbach L2000, what model might yours be?)

            My overhaul manual for the Limbach L2000 and L2400 doesn't mention the
            manufacturer of pistons, but says about cylinders:-
            "The four cylinders of high silicon aluminum alloy with a NICASIL
            (nickel-silicon carbide Mahle Trademark) coating. These cylinders feature
            extremely light weight and enhanced cooling characteristics compared to
            cast iron cylinders".

            Unless you are committed to increasing your engine's capacity you could
            always investigate spares from Limbach. In 1987 Limbach Aircraft Corp.
            was located in Zurich and in Tulsa, OK. See
            http://www.limbach. de

            Cheers
            Brian Stone.
            ____________ _________ _________ _________ ______
            | |
            | stones@pcug. org.au _or_ bjs@.... au |
            |___________ _________ _________ _________ _______|

            On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, k_mccune wrote:

            > This brand of forged pistons was used on some higher end European
            > dirtbikes KTM/Huskvarna come to mind..back in the 80s and 90s. Sorry
            > no VW info, but it may help you get a line on what you want.
            >
            > Kevin
            >

            > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups. com, "Ray" <jb92563@... > wrote:
            >>
            >> I have a ~2000+ cc VW aero conversion that I want to overhaul. 78.4
            >> stroke and 91.5 mm bore apparently
            >>
            >> I am using a Limbach Crank.
            >>
            >> I measured the cylinders and pistons and found that they seem to be
            >> 91.5 mm size.
            >>
            >> Anyone know of a source for this size cylinders/pistons/ rings ?
            >>
            >> The old pistons have "Mahle" on the casting and they are flat topped.
            >>
            >> I also wondered how the cylinders might interchange if I wanted to go
            >> to a 90.5mm of 92mm cylinder. Is the outside diameter similar on any of
            >> these sizes.
            >>
            >> If I went to the smaller 90.5mm cylinders and the case is drilled for
            >> the 91.5mm are there reducers required or how would I accomodate the
            >> smaller cylinders(assuming the OD is actually smaller).
            >>
            >> Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.
            >>
            >> Ray

          • Ray
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 27 7:32 AM
              Yes it is a Limbach L2000 engine.

              Apparently before I got it someone had replaced the Nikasil cylinders with regular cast iron cylinders. Now that I have discovered that it is not stock, it explains a few things.

              The stock replacement cylinders are over $2,000 usd.

              It also has the 7 row VW oil cooler which I think is different from the stock 5 row version.

              It has an extended aux oil sump as well.