Water cooled VW

  • jayquipz
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2008
      The penny never dropped with me that 1900 and 2200 water-cooled flat
      four engines are available (in South Africa) under $1k on exchange.
      Much reading of Veeduber has long since convinced me that the grunt
      avaialble from the air cooled VW motor is restricted by the level of
      cooling that can be achieved - I guess that is why water-cooled heads
      are becoming avaiable (Great Plains?).

      For sure someone has already tried this or at least thouight about it,
      so the lack aqua cooled standard VW motors flying around may indicat
      that they are not suitable / heavy etc.? Do these motors produce the
      goods at low enough rpm to suite direct drive installations?

      Any thoughts on this?

      I will probably post this on other groups as well - very eager to see
      what may have been done.

      Take care
      Steve J
      South Africa
    • J L
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2008
        I was waiting to see how well they worked in real life. They have now
        been discontinued (or so I have heard)
        I think it was more of a failure in marketing strategy than technology. They
        might have had more success if they had given a set to
        a reputable builder/pilot that would get them flying quickly to generate
        some excitement. I know that there were a few being built, but I had never
        heard of any flying.

        On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:21 AM, jayquipz <steve@...> wrote:

        > The penny never dropped with me that 1900 and 2200 water-cooled flat
        > four engines are available (in South Africa) under $1k on exchange.
        > Much reading of Veeduber has long since convinced me that the grunt
        > avaialble from the air cooled VW motor is restricted by the level of
        > cooling that can be achieved - I guess that is why water-cooled heads
        > are becoming avaiable (Great Plains?).
        >
        > For sure someone has already tried this or at least thouight about it,
        > so the lack aqua cooled standard VW motors flying around may indicat
        > that they are not suitable / heavy etc.? Do these motors produce the
        > goods at low enough rpm to suite direct drive installations?
        >
        > Any thoughts on this?
        >
        > I will probably post this on other groups as well - very eager to see
        > what may have been done.
        >
        > Take care
        > Steve J
        > South Africa

      • Hal
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2008
          These only made a cheap engine too pricey. Who wants to spend more on the cylinders than the rest of the engine? Not most builders.

          Hal

        • gvanmeter@cox.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16, 2008
            There is a Russian redrive that uses planetary gears that seems to be very adapable. It is sold in North America by Airtrikes (in Canada). I think it costs about $2300 USD. I know it has been used on Suzuki's, a Chevy Corvair, Nissan's, etc. It has a Rotax pattern prop hub, so you can fit any number of props. I wonder if the Valley Engineering Redrive would fit? They might know. They are very helpful.

            Gary
            USA

            ---- jayquipz <steve@...> wrote:
            > The penny never dropped with me that 1900 and 2200 water-cooled flat
            > four engines are available (in South Africa) under $1k on exchange.
            > Much reading of Veeduber has long since convinced me that the grunt
            > avaialble from the air cooled VW motor is restricted by the level of
            > cooling that can be achieved - I guess that is why water-cooled heads
            > are becoming avaiable (Great Plains?).
            >
            > For sure someone has already tried this or at least thouight about it,
            > so the lack aqua cooled standard VW motors flying around may indicat
            > that they are not suitable / heavy etc.? Do these motors produce the
            > goods at low enough rpm to suite direct drive installations?
            >
            > Any thoughts on this?
            >
            > I will probably post this on other groups as well - very eager to see
            > what may have been done.
            >
            > Take care
            > Steve J
            > South Africa

          • Hal
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 16, 2008
              The onlyproblem here would be what they done in the planetary drive for coupling to the engine. The VW engine has large impulses and can destroy most of the units made for other engines. Rotax's have several schemes to absorb impulses. But low displacement, high rpm engines have very low impulses so their coupling can be made light but ....... would take a bit of testing with a VW engine to make sure the reduction can handle the impulses. Belts themselves act as a torsional vibration reduction device and work quite well.

              Hal

              ---- jayquipz <steve@...> wrote:
              > The penny never dropped with me that 1900 and 2200 water-cooled flat
              > four engines are available (in South Africa) under $1k on exchange.
              > Much reading of Veeduber has long since convinced me that the grunt
              > avaialble from the air cooled VW motor is restricted by the level of
              > cooling that can be achieved - I guess that is why water-cooled heads
              > are becoming avaiable (Great Plains?).
              >
              > For sure someone has already tried this or at least thouight about it,
              > so the lack aqua cooled standard VW motors flying around may indicat
              > that they are not suitable / heavy etc.? Do these motors produce the
              > goods at low enough rpm to suite direct drive installations?
              >
              > Any thoughts on this?
              >
              > I will probably post this on other groups as well - very eager to see
              > what may have been done.
              >
              > Take care
              > Steve J
              > South Africa

            • herb
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 16, 2008
                Fellow in the Kolb list , Rick from Michigan, has a 2180 Vw with the
                Valley Engineering redrive...Has amassed quite a few hours by now...I
                saw it at the Kolb homecoming in London,Ky last fall... It performs
                about like a 912 80 horse... A 912 is going to be rated at 75 % on
                cruise...abt 56 horses...and that is a decent spot for a vw too.
                One should be able to get a few minutes of max power on take off?

                The redrive is the one made for the Big Twin engine...Uses two
                multi vee...flat belts...Like a serpentine belt on an auto..I would
                choose that over the cogged style timing belt .

                IMHO...Keep a spare set of heads and change them every 50 hours..
                Exhaust valves are cheap insurance...4 to 6 bucks last I
                checked.. .adj valves every 25 and you should have a good ,long
                lived engine...Herb

                At 01:30 PM 3/16/2008, you wrote:

                >The onlyproblem here would be what they done in the planetary drive
                >for coupling to the engine. The VW engine has large impulses and can
                >destroy most of the units made for other engines. Rotax's have
                >several schemes to absorb impulses. But low displacement, high rpm
                >engines have very low impulses so their coupling can be made light
                >but ....... would take a bit of testing with a VW engine to make
                >sure the reduction can handle the impulses. Belts themselves act as
                >a torsional vibration reduction device and work quite well.
                >
                >Hal

              • snymanerik
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 19, 2008
                  The Russian drive is called SPG-2 and is a spur-gear reduction, not
                  a planetary.

                  Erik.