Re: Where'd everybody go?

  • Ryan
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2007
      Jack,

      The other group is still there if anyone is interested,

      Ryan

      --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, Jack Dernorsek <hangarb7@...> wrote:

      > I agree. Been wondering the same thing myself. Teenie Two forum
      on Network 54 hasn't had a posting in 17 days, although now someone
      put a note on there about a project for sale.

      > There was some talk a while back about another Yahoo group that
      would have moderators and less Spam, but I'm not even getting any
      spam from this group...

      > JackD
      >
      > svfreebooter <taco_bill@...> wrote:
      > Yo VeeDubbers of AirVW,
      >
      > Where did everybody go? Did everyone go on vacation? Did we stop
      building Vdubs to fly
      > behind? Gimmee a hint?
      >
      > Bill Brown
      > Anacortes, WA

    • Mark Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2007
        Well, I'll rise to the challege. I'm building a Vp-1. I'm building the metal hardware right now, then plan on going to the engine and finally the air frame. The plan is based on space usage. My goal is to have a cheap way to fly circles over south Louisiana rice fields at about 70 mph. That is the Vx and Vy of a Vp. My engine plan is for a Great Planes 1800 with a pully end propeller, HVX mods, Boch distributor run from batteries, a Model A tillotson FX carb, gravity fed and facing to the back like it was designed for. That means I'll need a manifold coming forward and down. I hope to heat it from a front mounted oil filter and get carb heat from a balance pipe running between two mufflers under the heads.

        A Vp uses lead weights to balance the control surfaces and the thought of building light and then attaching lead to the plane just galls me, so I intend to use four small sealed lead batteries to run the ignition. Let me end with a question just in case none of this sparks a fire storm. I'm going to carve a propeller because no one seems to get it right the first time. What pitch would folks suggest for a 58 inch prop doing 70mph. The tables seem to indicate a higher pitch than I see folks actually using.
        Mark Smith, Email: mxs2356@...
        The other group is still there if anyone is interested,

        Ryan

        --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, Jack Dernorsek <hangarb7@...> wrote:

        > I agree. Been wondering the same thing myself. Teenie Two forum
        on Network 54 hasn't had a posting in 17 days, although now someone
        put a note on there about a project for sale.

        > There was some talk a while back about another Yahoo group that
        would have moderators and less Spam, but I'm not even getting any
        spam from this group...

        > JackD
        >
        > svfreebooter <taco_bill@...> wrote:
        > Yo VeeDubbers of AirVW,
        >
        > Where did everybody go? Did everyone go on vacation? Did we stop
        building Vdubs to fly
        > behind? Gimmee a hint?
        >
        > Bill Brown
        > Anacortes, WA

      • Hal
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2007
          We need to write something about the VW engine that is controversal. Then folks will jump in like wildfire.

          Hal

          The other group is still there if anyone is interested,

          Ryan

          --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, Jack Dernorsek <hangarb7@...> wrote:

          > I agree. Been wondering the same thing myself. Teenie Two forum
          on Network 54 hasn't had a posting in 17 days, although now someone
          put a note on there about a project for sale.

          > There was some talk a while back about another Yahoo group that
          would have moderators and less Spam, but I'm not even getting any
          spam from this group...

          > JackD
          >
          > svfreebooter <taco_bill@...> wrote:
          > Yo VeeDubbers of AirVW,
          >
          > Where did everybody go? Did everyone go on vacation? Did we stop
          building Vdubs to fly
          > behind? Gimmee a hint?
          >
          > Bill Brown
          > Anacortes, WA

        • Robert Richtsmeier
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2007
            Mark Smith wrote:

            > What pitch would folks suggest for a 58 inch prop doing 70mph. The
            > tables seem to indicate a higher pitch than I see folks actually using.
            > Mark, *try this calculator it looks as though 23 should do it. *

            http://www.culverprops.com/pitchselection.htm
            rich
          • Jack Dernorsek
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2007
              Looks like it is pretty dead also with only seven postings for all of September.

              Ryan <rryan@...> wrote:
              Jack,

              The other group is still there if anyone is interested,

              Ryan

              --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, Jack Dernorsek <hangarb7@...> wrote:

              > I agree. Been wondering the same thing myself. Teenie Two forum
              on Network 54 hasn't had a posting in 17 days, although now someone
              put a note on there about a project for sale.

              > There was some talk a while back about another Yahoo group that
              would have moderators and less Spam, but I'm not even getting any
              spam from this group...

              > JackD
              >
              > svfreebooter <taco_bill@...> wrote:
              > Yo VeeDubbers of AirVW,
              >
              > Where did everybody go? Did everyone go on vacation? Did we stop
              building Vdubs to fly
              > behind? Gimmee a hint?
              >
              > Bill Brown
              > Anacortes, WA

            • stinkfoot151
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2007
                The Culver Props calculator will give you a theoretical pitch...as if
                the air were a solid and the prop is screwing itself through the air
                without slip. Pitch(inches) x RPM = Speed(inches per minute) would be
                the equation for this simplified view of the situation. However, if
                you think about it for a moment, you'll see that if an airplane were
                actually flying at this speed with this pitch, there would be no prop
                wake or acceleration of the air rearward by the prop as the plane
                passes through it. So the pitch must be a bit more than the simple
                theoretical no slip equation above to account for both slip and the
                increase in air velocity as it passes through the prop disk in order to
                make thrust. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't just use the
                number from the culver props calculator. It probably isn't enough
                pitch. Better to consider the force your prop is actually applying to
                the airframe at the 70mph cruise and calculate mass of air the prop has
                to push rearward in order to create this thrust at 70 mph. That's why
                larger diameter props work well at low airspeeds. In order to create
                the necessary thrust, they accelerate a larger mass of air to a lower
                final velocity thereby creating less drag on the fuselage and other
                airplane parts that must be dragged through this somewhat higher
                velocity air. A smaller diameter prop would have to accelerate the
                smaller volume of air to a higher velocity in order to create the same
                thrust. I don't have time to go through all the equations and math at
                the moment but that's basically what's involved. Probably better to
                find a flying example of what you want to build and see what they're
                using and if the pilot's satisfied with it, use it as an idea for what
                you'll do.

                --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, Robert Richtsmeier <cmpuflite@...> wrote:

                > Mark Smith wrote:
                > >
                > > What pitch would folks suggest for a 58 inch prop doing 70mph. The
                > > tables seem to indicate a higher pitch than I see folks actually
                using.
                > > Mark, *try this calculator it looks as though 23 should do it. *
                > >

                > http://www.culverprops.com/pitchselection.htm
                > rich

              • Hal
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2007
                  That pitch calculator assumes NO SLIP. But one should expect at least 10-15% slip so additional 2-4" pitch is needed.

                  Hal

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
                    I sold my VW KR-2 before I left for China a year ago, but I "had" (my
                    word, not my wife's) to buy another last night from here in China
                    (via internet). It's a Tri-Q2. It will set for another year until I
                    get back. What should I have my non-pilot son-in-law (who owes me)
                    do to it while I'm gone to keep it from going bad in the salty humid
                    Houston, ocean front area I live?

                    Chuck

                  • stinkfoot151@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
                      First and foremost, be sure it's hangared. Probably best to remove the battery, take it home, and connect it to a trickle charger monthly or so. Also drain the gas and possibly put a dessicant package or two in the tank. Don't forget to fish out the dessicant pack before refueling and flying. Jack it up and remove the wheels so if they go flat, the plane won't be resting on them and ruin the tires. Warm up the engine (plane tied down so it won't roll) then drain the oil and put fresh oil in. Crank the engine for a while to distribute the new oil without starting the engine (hand prop or battery is okay if the battery is still in the plane). If you do the handpropping, remove at least the upper spark plugs from all cylinders to ease propping and to ensure the beast doesn't start unexpectedly. Probably not a bad idea to remove the sparkplugs even if the electric starter is used for this.
                      After all that's done put a few tablespoons of oil in each sparkplug hole and hand prop 3-4 revolutions to distribute the oil to the cylinder walls. Finally reinstall the spark plugs or if you have them, the little dessicant plugs used to replace spark plugs when storing an engine.

                      When preparing to fly, probably a good idea after removing the tank dessicant to refill the tank(s) completely and let them sit for a day or so, so that any dirt or moisture that may have gotten in settles to the bottom. Then, when preflighting, instead of draining the customary "test tube" full of fuel, drain a mason jar full from each tank and gascolator. This makes it more likely that if any foreign material is present, it'll find its way out the drain and into the jar. Inspect the jar carefully. It's not a waste of gas, because if it's clean you can use a clean funnel to just pour it back in the tank.

                    • cburgoontrike3
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 6, 2007
                        Thanks for the advice. The storage plugs are completely new to me.
                        Where can I get them? I need them for my ultralights which are also
                        laid up for two years. Some guys Marvel Mystery on the top end.
                        Does it really matter? It seems like the thicker the better (more
                        longer cling). If so, maybe 60 weight racing oil for the top end.
                        Evaporative residue?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
                          Hi Rich,

                          just check out this Yahoo group: