Re: Gasket for Oil Pump Type 1 Motor

  • charlie4_66043
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "flybynightkarmarepair" <ryoung@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Van Der Berg" <gvdberg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All
      > >
      > > I am busy assembling a Type 1 1600 and i would like to know what
      is the
      > > gasket arrangement for the oil pump which has the normal flat
      plate up
      > > front ??
      > >
      > > Thanks for now
      > >
      > > Gavin
      >
      > This is well described in every VW manual extant. You really
      should get one.

      > There should be 2 gaskets, the thicker one goes between the case
      and the pump body, the
      > thinner one between the pump body and the cover plates. Use gasket
      sealer on the
      > gaskets, the studs, and the nuts that hold the cover plate, but NOT
      on the pump body
      > where it fits into the case. Grease the gears, and pack the pump
      with white grease. Torgue
      > is 14 ft-lbs for the nuts.

      I have an oil leak around the oil pump cover. Do I need to pull the
      oil pump body and start over? How do you pull the pump body?

      Charlie
    • flybynightkarmarepair
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
        --- In AirVW@yahoogroups.com, "charlie4_66043" <radfordc@...> wrote:

        > I have an oil leak around the oil pump cover. Do I need to pull the
        > oil pump body and start over?

        Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps the pump cover is not very flat, and is not sealing properly.
        Perhaps the leak is through the studs themselves. Lotsa reasons it might leak.

        > How do you pull the pump body?

        I refer back to my previous answer:

        > > This is well described in every VW manual extant. You really
        > should get one.

        Pull the pump cover and the pump gears off. Then either use a special puller:
        http://www.vintageworldtools.com/images/oil_pump_puller.jpg
        or two big straight blade screw drivers on either side of the pump to slowly and carefully
        wiggle and pull it out.