Re: [AirVW] Re: Coolers and Filters, continued - Filters

  • Hal Hadaller
    Message 1 of 75 , May 1, 2006
      A FRAM 43 filter also works and is slightly shorter than the HP-1.

      I have never safety tied a filter. Put them on 1 good turn (oil on the seal) and you won't be able get them off by hand. Will stay there forever. Aircraft types use 15-18 lb torque and safety wire which seems to all be an overkill. Some homebuilder tie a cable around their engine to the mount/aircraft. I would not fly an aircraft that I FELT that I needed to do that for safety. Build it right and you won't WORRY.

      Hal
      Message 75 of 75 , May 3, 2006
        No, you've got me <grin>. I haven't been too consistent. GTX is Castrols multi-grade oil.
        HD is their single grade.

        The trouble is, I remember when GTX was their PREMIUM Single Grade - back when my
        brother and I were wrenching on his VW van.

        I still lean toward single grade mineral oil. I'm coming to acceptance on 20W-50 multi-vis
        (which is what I use in my Honda), and I still don't think synthetic oil is worth the money in
        a Type I VW.