17471Re: [AirVW] Re: VW Problem may be solved

  • Todd Loes
    Jun 7, 2014
      Check your valve lash before you get too excited. And if possible, check to see if any of the valves are sticking. A valve that doesn't close can give you symptoms similar to your description.

      Carbon arcing would theoretically be the same for all of the cylinders. However I have little expertise there.

      I had two cold cylinders and got one "fixed" by adjusting the lash. The other one had a sticky valve (not entirely proven - I haven't restarted it yet since the diagnosis).

      Best of luck.

      Todd

      You could also try swapping

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 7, 2014, at 5:56 PM, "liteflyt@... [AirVW]" <AirVW@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      If 3 of the 4 cylinders are firing on One Mag, the problem is either a carbon track and... cracked cap at the
      dead cylinders plug wire socket, or if shielded plug wires are used, a hi voltage arc or shunt to shield
      and thus to ground...an ohmmeter May not show a short to ground that a Hi-Pot test would.
       If you can not prove the defect, I would replace the cap and the plug wire before remaking
      a new ignition system....Actually a local A&P could probably catch the problem and might
      be cheaper than guess parts replacement..

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic