RE: [AgileEmbedded] OT: Hardware indepenence

  • James Grenning
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2006
      Take a look at this paper.

      http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles//ObjectMentor/resources/artic
      les/ProgressBeforeHardware
      <http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/ObjectMentor/resources/artic
      les/ProgressBeforeHardware>

      what language are you programming in?

      James

      -----Original Message-----
      From: AgileEmbedded@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AgileEmbedded@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of steve george
      Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:03 AM
      To: AgileEmbedded@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [AgileEmbedded] OT: Hardware indepenence

      Hi,

      Slightly off topic,
      can anyone recommend any good reference [book|website] that may help me
      [or teach me] to design my embedded software in a hardware independent
      fashion.

      Initially we have a evaluation board, will migrate to a prototype board
      soon (with different ouptuts to the eval board), and the final
      production board will have further changes, I'd like to migrate my
      software from one board to another with as little heart ache as
      possible. Hopefully being able to simultaneously maintain both builds.

      Thanks
      Steve

    • steve george

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22, 2006
          Hi James

          Thanks, .already have a copy of your paper.

          we are programming in 'c'

          Steve

          James Grenning wrote:

          >Take a look at this paper.
          >

          >http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles//ObjectMentor/resources/artic
          >les/ProgressBeforeHardware
          ><http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/ObjectMentor/resources/artic
          >les/ProgressBeforeHardware>
          >

          >what language are you programming in?
          >

          >James

        • James Grenning
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 22, 2006
            You can use the same techniques in C

            You use header files as interface specifications. The linker provides "link
            time polymorphism" and you can use function pointers for runtime
            polymorphism.

            James W Grenning
            Object Mentor, Inc.
            Gurnee, IL 60031