RE: Space Math @ NASA - New Problems Posted today

  • Odenwald, Sten F. (GSFC-672.0)[ADNET SYST
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 5, 2011
      Hello Everyone...and welcome back!

      In case you missed it, Space Math @ NASA posted three new NASA eClips episodes on the Multimedia page.

      Transits - Explores the fascinating world of planetary transits and how missions like Kepler use them to discover planets orbiting distant stars

      New Horizons Covers the Distance - On its way to Pluto, this mission will cover 40 Astronomical Units of distance. The episode describes this unit and how it sets the scale for the solar system

      Satellites and Solar Eruptions - Learn about NASA's STEREO mission and discover how solar storms are an interplanetary menace!

      Also, the draft of a new math resource book 'Transit Math' is now available for your inspection on the 'books' page! It contains dozens of full-color historical images of the Transit of Venus, newspaper accounts and, yes of course, 44 math problems!

      Enjoy!
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr. Sten Odenwald
      Code 672
      Goddard Spaceflight Center
      Greenbelt. Maryland  20771

    • Odenwald, Sten F. (GSFC-672.0)[ADNET SYST
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 19, 2011
        Hello Everyone!

        I posted four new math problems today thanks to some exciting new press releases from NASA posted at the beginning of this month:

        Problem 396: Kepler 10b - A matter of gravity Students use the measured properties of the Earth-like planet Kepler 10b to estimate the weight of a human on its surface. [Grade: 8-10 | Topics: Evaluating formulas; mass = density x volume; volume of a sphere; scientific notation]

        Problem 395: Death Stars Some stars create super-flares that are capable of eliminating life on planets that orbit close to the star. Students learn about these flares on common red-dwarf stars and compare them to flares on our own sun [Grade: 6-9 | Topics: Scientific Notation; percentages; rates of change]

        Problem 394: Probing the lunar core using seismology Students learn about the geometry needed to determine the diameter of the lunar core using a simplified model. [Grade: 9-10 | Topics: Geometry; Properties of Inscribed Arcs]

        Problem 393: Taking a stroll around a martian crater! Students use a recent photograph of a crater on Mars to estimate its circumference and the time it will take NASAs Opportunity Rover to travel once around its edge. [Grade: 6-8 | Topics: scale model; distance = speedxtime; metric measure]

        Visit: http://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov

        to see these, and many other problems and math-related resources too!

        Enjoy!

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Dr. Sten Odenwald
        Code 672
        Goddard Spaceflight Center
        Greenbelt. Maryland  20771

      • Odenwald, Sten F.[ADNET SYSTEMS INC] GSFC
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 19, 2011

          Dear Sir/Madam,

          Your email was unable reach the intended person that you were sending it to.
          For more information on our business please click on the following link:
          Click here for our website
          We look forward to your continued business in the future.

          Regards,
          Webmaster

        • Odenwald, Sten F. (GSFC-672.0)[ADNET SYST
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 7, 2011
            Hello Everyone!

            I posted three new math problems today thanks to some exciting new press releases from NASA posted at the beginning of this month:

            Problem 399: A Galactic City in the Far Reaches of the Universe
            Students work with a Hubble image of a distant cluster of galaxies to determine its scale compared to nearby galaxies. They estimate the collapse time of this young cluster compared to the current age of the universe and discover that the cluster has probably already collapsed.

            Problem 398: The Crab Nebula - Exploring a pulsar up close!
            Students work with a photograph to determine its scale and the time taken by light and matter to reach a specified distance from the pulsar. Chandra sees a ring of matter from the shock wave in the inner nebula. Students calculate the artrival time of light and matter at this ring and discover only a few day's difference in time for the fast-mioving particles compared to light.

            Problem 397: The Changing Pace of Global Warming
            Students work with a table of global temperature anomalies to forecast the temperature change by 2050 using a linear extrapolation. An extension problem has students perform a quadratic extrapolation, which fits the general data trends from 1980 to 2010 a bit better...Bummer for Earth in 2050!

            Meanwhile, I am working on some Kepler exoplanet problems...It's a challenge keeping up with their planet-hunting discoveries, and several other cool discoveries, which I will post later this week.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 16, 2011
                Hello Everyone!

                Space Math @ NASA posted four new math problems today thanks to some exciting new press releases from the NASA STEREO and Kepler missions   this month:

                Problem 404: STEREO Spacecraft give 360-degree Solar View Students use STEREO satellite images to determine which features can be seen from Earth and which cannot. They learn about the locations and changing positions of the satellites with respect to Earth's orbit. [Grade: 6-8 | Topics: angular measure, extrapolation; distance = speed x time]

                Problem 403: The Goldilocks Planets - Not too hot or cold Students use a table of the planets discovered by the Kepler satellite, and estimate the number of planets in our Milky Way galaxy that are about the same size as Earth and located in their Habitable Zones. They estimate the average temperature of the planets, and study their tabulated properties using histograms. [Grade: 6-8 | Topics: Averaging; histogramming]

                Problem 402: Kepler- Earth-like planets by the score! II Students use recent Kepler satellite data summarized in tabular form to estimate the number of planets in the Milky Way galaxy that are about the same size as our Earth, and located in their Habitable Zones were liquid water may exist. [Grade: 6-8 | Topics: Percentage; re-scaling sample sizes]

                Problem 401: Kepler - Earth-like planets by the score! I Students use recent Kepler satellite data to estimate the number of Earth-like planets in the Milky Way galaxy. [Grade: 6-8 | Topics: Percentage; histograms; Re-scaling sample sizes]

                Problem 400: The Most Distant Objects in the Universe Students use a tabels of the most distant known events and objects in the universe to create a timeline of the universe soon after the Big Bang. [Grade: 6-8 | Topics: Working with millions and billions; elapsed time]

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 9, 2011
                    Hello Everyone!

                    Space Math @ NASA posted three new math problems today thanks to some exciting new press releases from NASA.

                    Problem 407: Cryo-testing the Webb Space Telecope ISIM Students explore scaling by creating an enlarged geometric model of the ISIM to better appreciate the small changes due to expansion and contraction [Grade: 6-8 | Topics: scale models; proportions; unit conversion]

                    Problem 406: Growing Grapes in the Middle of the Dessert Students use a dramatic Earth Observatory-1 satellite image of agriculture in Namibia to estimate the total cultivated area and water needs of grape growing under dessert conditions [Grade: 6-8 | Topics: areas of irregular regions; unit conversion]

                    Problem 405: Discovering Earth-like Worlds by their Color Students use recent measurements of the reflected light from solar system bodies to graph their colors and to use this in classifying new planets as Earth-like, moon-like or Jupiter-liike [Grade: 6-8 | Topics: graphing tabular data; interpreting graphical data]

                    Also, I will be at the NSTA convention in San Francisco this friday, so stop by the NASA booth to say hello, and to pick up a free Math Flyer for your bulletin board!