Space Math @ NASA - Year 6

  • Odenwald, Sten F. (GSFC-672.0)[ADNET SYST
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2009

      Welcome back everyone!

      I have uploaded 38 new math problems for this semester to the Space Math @ NASA website:

      These problems include exciting new results from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, ISS and many other NASA missions.

      The website has also been redesigned just a bit. A new menu has been added that lets you see math problems in the current archive ordered by astronomy topic area, since many teachers are now using these problems in science classrooms, or passing them along to their colleagues in the Science Department.

      I have added the drafts of two new books 'Space Math V', which is the collection of all the problems from last year, and 'Magnetic Math' which contains many new problems for teachers looking for new things to do with magnetism as a topic area.

      I am working on a new book for this Semester 'Earth Math' which will explore many issues in Global CLimate Change, both from the science standpoint, and from the consumer perspective. Did you know that every kiloWatt-Hour of electricity you consume from a fossil-fuel plant delivers 0.7 kilograms of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere? How many kWh does your home consume when no one is there?

      There will be several additional updates to the Space Math @ NASA website in the next months. The next large delivery of math problems will be in January, 2010.

      As a last note, please consider  taking a very short 5-question survey about how you use these resources:

      Apart from the web stats and testimonials I have been collecting, these surveys are crucil in making the case to NASA that this program needs to be continued. You shoule note that if you GOOGLE 'NASA' and 'math' that this resource is the top resource for mathematics at NASA. It got there because of your continued support, and I just want to make this point to NASA by being able to show them survey statistics from its users.

      Thanks again, and keep those math suggestions comming!!!

      Sten Odenwald
      HeadMaster, SpaceMath@NASA.