(SCL: 5) [E-TEACHERS] Space Math @ NASA

  • Odenwald, Sten F. (GSFC-672.0)[ADNET SYST
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009

      Hello Everyone!!

      I have just uploaded the latest math problems that cover some really fun science too!
      Visit the usual place http://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov to see them.

      The problems cover a variety of math topics including fractions and mixed numbers, scientific notation, working with simple equations ( e.g. converting from Centigrade to Kelvin and Fahrenheit) working with rates, and a few problems involving calculus among many other topics.

      I re-designed the website a bit so that all problems are presented with their full information. I think this makes it easier for teachers to quickly find what they are looking for. I may set up a search engine for next fall to help you target specific topic areas faster. Also, one individual suggested that more teachers would use the Space Math resource if I placed all the problem answer keys in a separate password-protected area that teachers would have to register to use. Currently, each problem file comes complete with its own answer key so that students could not be asked to visit this website without also encountering the answers. In fact, you can GOOGLE the title of the problem and it will probably come up on the GOOGLE search, so even if you assigned a student a problem and kept the answer key, the student could GOOGLE the original PDF and get the answer that way. Please let me know if you like the website the way it is, or if I should try to do something about hiding the answers better....I think this is rather important and I would like your suggestions soon ;>

      Beginning in April, I will be writing another proposal for funding of Space Math @ NASA, and would really appreciate some anecdotes from you about how you are using these math problems, how your students are reacting to them, and whether you have any way to measure how effecftive they have been. NASA loves these kinds of statistics, beyond just the number of document downloads, so please help me out. If there are any schools that would like to play a more active role in a NASA education proposal, please drop me a line and we can discuss what kinds of participation make sense for you and your school!

      I will be at the NCTM convention this April, and hope to see some of you there!

      Cheers!

      Sten Odenwald
      HeadMaster, SpaceMath@NASA.