Dark Skies in West Virginia

  • Lou Mayo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2009
      ASAC'ers;

      Happy New Year!

      I just got back from a wonderful ski trip in Canaan Valley, West
      Virginia and I think the skies were as clear as I have ever seen
      them....anywhere. I could see all of the stars in the Little Dipper
      which means that the limiting visual magnitude was about 4.9 - pretty
      sweet. I could see the Andromeda galaxy easily without averted vision.

      Canaan Valley is at an altitude of about 1/2 mile but is bounded by
      mountains so rising air from westward weather systems often condenses
      into clouds as it moves over these mountains resulting in poor or no
      seeing so the views this week were especially wonderful.

      How is your observing??

      Clear Skies,
      Lou