Osotimehin, Hong take over, tackle govs, LG bosses on healthcare

  • Pamela Mojekwu
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 2008
      From: Taiwo Fasoranti <tfash@...>
      Date: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:50 am
      Subject: Osotimehin, Hong take over, tackle govs, LG bosses on
      healthcare

      Osotimehin, Hong take over, tackle govs, LG bosses on healthcare

      Written by Chinyere Amalu

      Tuesday, 23 December 2008

      Professor Babatunde Osotimehin and Dr. Idi Hong have taken over the
      health ministry as Minister and Minister of State respectively, with a
      vow to tackle state governors and local government chairmen on
      ensuring that allocations meant for the development of primary
      healthcare at the state and community levels are judiciously used. The
      ministers also stressed that for health sector to be adequately
      funded; it needed the assistance of the private sector, adding that it
      is high time the data of all the donor agencies working in Nigeria are
      collated for effective implementation.

      Speaking at the meeting with the management of the ministry and health
      correspondents, Osotimehin, said, "everybody must be involved to make
      the ministry work. For us to make a difference, we must make the
      governors, local government chairmen, to sit up.

      "We need to work at all levels because health requires team work to
      succeed. For us to succeed, we must work with the state and local
      government. Primary healthcare must be strengthened and well equipped
      to take care of minor cases, while tertiary institution handles
      complicated cases".

      He stressed that that for those at the community level to receive
      proper attention, community health insurance scheme will be a major
      issue to be tackled.

      "Malaria, maternal health and child care, diarrhea immunization etc
      should be taken care of at the primary healthcare level, and for this
      to be effective there must be adequate financing at this level, while
      those at the Federal level supervises", he added.

      He however, advises the staff to be ready to work hard, as the
      challenges facing the ministry is enormous and scaring.

      Also speaking the minister of state for health, Dr. Idi Hong, promised
      that both ministers would work assiduously so that problem of
      uncoordinated health indices is addressed within a short time.

      He pointed out that they would prioritise the areas that will be given
      adequate attention, adding that primary healthcare delivery must face
      its responsibility.
    • John Olatunde
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 2008
        We have heard more muscle flexing than this before. Who is to remind him of this statement in one year's time!

        Prof Ransome-Kuti tried, but they frustrated eventually! We shall see.

        Pastor John.

          So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world. Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming [Col. 3: 5-6].

[...]

      • Pamela Christopher
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 2008
          Lol, John...he has to say something.  Let us wait and see what happens in the end.  We just may be surprised!

          Pamela N. Mojekwu.
          Chicago, IL. USA.

          If you can dream it, then you can achieve it. You will get all you want in life if you help enough other people get what they want.
          Zig Ziglar

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 26, 2008
            "Prof Ransome-Kuti tried, but they frustrated eventually! We shall see'
            Pastor John

            Pastor John, I worked in the sysytem when Kuti was Minister. To me, that was the last time we had a vibrant health care industry. He was commited to primary healthcare and it worked. Was he frustrated, sure he was, but he kept on with his dream for Nigeria.

             Osotimehin has started off on a good note, we need to support and pray for him. His ideas are what we need to wake up our moribund health system. It will take everyone on board to share the same goals. The man will deliver. Let's all do our part.

            Taiwo

            To: ChatAfrikHealthCare@yahoogroups.com

            We have heard more muscle flexing than this before. Who is to remind him of this statement in one year's time!

            Prof Ransome-Kuti tried, but they frustrated eventually! We shall see.

            Pastor John.
              So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donʼt be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world. Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming [Col. 3: 5-6].

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 26, 2008

                I am sure there are people around who know the man; however, my assertions about him  are  based on reviews i have gotten from many of my friends who were his students. Also, please remember, he was head of our AIDS agency in Nigeria for a few years without many of the drama we see in our institutions back home.I have followed NACA closely and truly believe they have tried.

                I know one thing for sure, his statement below shows a man with a vison. This is how Olikoye started during his time. Also, I am sure as the days go by, chatafrikahealthcare will have an opportuntity to interact with the ministry of health and hear from his mouth.  I hope the time comes pretty soon.

                Taiwo

                To: chatafrikhealthcare@yahoogroups.com; ChatAfrikHealthCare@yahoogroups.com