Benin portrait head ~ Has anyone else seen such an example?

  • Todd and Lina
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2006
      hello Group ,
      I have decided to post some images of a Benin wooden memorial head I
      have acquired , I have already shown and shared this piece with lee ,
      and as usual , he has given me some great info and ideas , but I
      thought I would share it with the entire group , and see if anyone
      else has seen such an example of Benin artwork , and if they can shed
      any light on it , as far as age , style , and even value if you feel
      so inclined.

      I should mention this was collected in the early 20th century by the
      SMA missionary society , it was loaned to the Berg en Daal Museum in
      the early to mid 20th century , and then returned to the S M A society
      and then at some point sent to the SMA Museum of African art in
      Tenafly, New Jersey , where it was seen in the museum restoration dept
      by past curator in the early 1970's , and then eventually was given
      as a Gift at the curators retirement from the position , and he has
      had it in his own collection until I purchased it last year from the
      past curator.

      There is speculation the overall decay of the head may indicate it
      was damaged ( perhaps ) by Fire in the sacking of Benin in 1898 by the
      British?? It does not smell of smoke at all , it just looks fairly
      eroded and decayed.

      ....perhaps this is just fanciful thinking , But I think the
      Possibility is there.

      Photos have been placed in the PHOTOS section of the group in a folder named "B E N I N"

      or accessible in the link directly below:

      I welcome any comments or opinions ,
      all the best -Todd from brightpath