"Africa Explores - 20th Century African Art" by Susan Vogel

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2006
      Hi group-

      I recently got the book "Africa Explores - 20th Century African Art" by Susan Vogel

      I think it's a FANTASTIC book as it talks about, and gives many great examples of objects of "traditional" African art as well as discussing current traditions and broaching the subject of "future traditional African art".

      Lots of great photos and even more great reading.

      From the introduction to the book:
      "What are we going to do about contemporary African art," asks the October 1990 issue of African Arts. ".. . Quite certainly for many the hope is that it might just go away, rather as when a child who knows a monster is lurking in the closet pulls the sheets over his head, on the comforting thesis that what one doesn't recognize isn't there... . But owing to the inherent creativity of African artists, the issue of contemporary art will not go away" (JohnPovey, p. 1).

      Anyone who is interested in this evolution in African art will love this book.

      After I got it in and looked it over, I immediately ordered a 2nd copy to give away in a book drawing on my website like I have done in the past.

      If you would like to enter the drawing, just go to my Recommended Reading page on my website (linked below) and under the description of the book is a place to enter the online drawing. I will pay all shipping charges to get the book to you no matter where you live!

    • Bob Ibold
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 18, 2006
        Rand,
        Great timing. I just posted a note about my interest in contemporary
        African masks this morning, and now you are promoting my favorite
        book. It is from Susan Vogel that I developed my fascination with the
        constant evolution of traditional folk art. This is the book!
        Bob

        At 01:20 PM 2/18/2006, you wrote:
        >Hi group-
        >
        >I recently got the book "Africa Explores - 20th Century African Art"
        >by Susan Vogel
        >
        >I think it's a FANTASTIC book as it talks about, and gives many
        >great examples of objects of "traditional" African art as well as
        >discussing current traditions and broaching the subject of "future
        >traditional African art".
        >
        >Lots of great photos and even more great reading.
        >
        > From the introduction to the book:
        >"What are we going to do about contemporary African art," asks the
        >October 1990 issue of African Arts. ".. . Quite certainly for many
        >the hope is that it might just go away, rather as when a child who
        >knows a monster is lurking in the closet pulls the sheets over his
        >head, on the comforting thesis that what one doesn't recognize isn't
        >there... . But owing to the inherent creativity of African artists,
        >the issue of contemporary art will not go away" (JohnPovey, p. 1).
        >
        >Anyone who is interested in this evolution in African art will love this book.
        >
        >After I got it in and looked it over, I immediately ordered a 2nd
        >copy to give away in a book drawing on my website like I have done in the past.
        >
        >If you would like to enter the drawing, just go to my Recommended
        >Reading page on my website (linked below) and under the description
        >of the book is a place to enter the online drawing. I will pay all
        >shipping charges to get the book to you no matter where you live!
        >
        ><http://www.randafricanart.com/Recommended_Reading.html>http://www.randafricanart.com/Recommended_Reading.html
        >
        >Cheers!
        >RAND

        >art
        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+culture&w1=African+art&w2=Art+culture&w3=Culture+club&w4=Fine+art+poster&w5=Fine+art+reproductions&w6=Organizational+culture&c=6&s=129&.sig=nC91iz5qHqko6nK6OpskiQ>Art
        >culture
        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Culture+club&w1=African+art&w2=Art+culture&w3=Culture+club&w4=Fine+art+poster&w5=Fine+art+reproductions&w6=Organizational+culture&c=6&s=129&.sig=TSwUjS88O7o_EMANqQlhLg>Culture
        >club
        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+poster&w1=African+art&w2=Art+culture&w3=Culture+club&w4=Fine+art+poster&w5=Fine+art+reproductions&w6=Organizational+culture&c=6&s=129&.sig=GDTMiqK_j14X4st4BE6v4A>Fine
        >art poster
        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+reproductions&w1=African+art&w2=Art+culture&w3=Culture+club&w4=Fine+art+poster&w5=Fine+art+reproductions&w6=Organizational+culture&c=6&s=129&.sig=qALPPTSfiDcTS24FyPD7cQ>Fine
        >art reproductions
        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organizational+culture&w1=African+art&w2=Art+culture&w3=Culture+club&w4=Fine+art+poster&w5=Fine+art+reproductions&w6=Organizational+culture&c=6&s=129&.sig=2noBS2sajkg-WkADVeaDcg>Organizational
> [...]
      • Mo Okdg
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2006
          Dear Rand:

          I join Bob in thanking you for your interest in contemporary African art, and for giving away Vogel's book on 20th century African art in your raffle draw. It is true that in the recent past some people truly thought that African art could not survive, and would go away. But as Sidney Kisfir of Emory says, painting has been domesticated in Africa, just like the novel. Africans buy paintings done by African artists. When I was in Nigeria, I sold more paintings in a month than I have ever sold in all of my fifteen years in the United States. But even now, despite the non-existent market for contemporary African art in the West, I am not less productive, because making art is not simply an aesthetic issue for the contemporary African artist. It is connected with our survival instincts, because we know that western art history wants us to go away, the internation art market pretends we are not there, and art curators don't know what to do with us. If we drop our brushes simply because we are ignored, would that not simply gratify those who ignore us? But if we keep our studios open, and continue to produce, we not only ensure that we exist, we actually contribute to the history of forms, in a way different from the contributions by others artists without our distinctive cultural and aesthetic experiences. And, say what you will, we truly are descendants of traditions of art making that stretch back to some fifty thousand years of creativity. With our historical insight and contemporary tempers, we have much to show and tell a world that is clearly far behind us, not yet ready for us.

          Moyo
        • milton jeffrey
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 21, 2006
            Mo Okdg <okdg@...> wrote:
[...]

            Moyo,

            I am very moved with what you shared above. I am truly interested in hearing more from you for you have a depth. You do have so much to show and there is a wondrous history we belong to in some aspect. Are you an Artist?
            May I see your art somehow?

            How do you feel you can awaken the Western World?

            Thank you,

            Jeff

            Yahoo! Mail

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 24, 2006
              I just did the drawing for the book give-a-way, and the winner is:

              BOB RIZZO of Rhode Island, USA

              Congrads Bob, you'll love this book!

              I wish I had enough copies to give away to everyone who entered the drawing!

              I will be doing another book drawing next month.

              Rand African Art <rand@...> wrote:
              Hi group-

              I recently got the book "Africa Explores - 20th Century African Art" by Susan Vogel

              I think it's a FANTASTIC book as it talks about, and gives many great examples of objects of "traditional" African art as well as discussing current traditions and broaching the subject of "future traditional African art".

              Lots of great photos and even more great reading.

              From the introduction to the book:

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2006
                Dear group:

                In the spirit of supporting contemporary art in Africa, I'd like to donate two of my books to Rand's draw.  The books are "African Renaissance: Old Forms, New Images in Yoruba Art," and "The Shattered Gourd: Yoruba Forms in 20th century American Art."

                Thanks, Rand, for arranging the draws.

                Moyo Okediji
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 28, 2006
                  Moyo -

                  Thank you so much for offering to donate two of the books that you wrote!

                  I will update my Recommended Reading page with the information about the books and how to enter the drawing and I will send a message to the group.