Hi everyone from muzi

  • claasonen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2006
      Hi,

      I found this group when searching the net and since me and my wife are
      dealing in both modern and old african art and craft it could be
      interesting to learn more about it. We are a swedish based african art
      and craft shop with and you can visit our website www.muzi.biz . We
      started off buying products from Sothern africa more interior design
      and craft but have recently got into the tribal art. Joining this
      group we are hoping to find out more about these fantastic pieces and
      the history, so we will keep in touch and also a happy new year to all
      the members.

      Muzi
    • LRubinstein@post.harvard.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
        Muzi:

        I have come across a small number of interesting African art/culture projects, exhibitions and sites in Sweden and in the broader Scandinavian region which may be of interest to you -- and others, I hope -- and which might be helpful links to post on your site to give interested visitors opportunities to explore the African collections and resources in the Nordic region.

        One is Carl-Axel Silow's "Survey of Congo Culture in Sweden" at
        http://www.smvk.se/content/1/c4/58/62/Congo%20collections%20in%20Sweden.pdf  This is a rather dense review of existing Congolese collections in Sweden  but also provides some excellent introductory analysis (in English) of the various regional sub-groupings in the Congo.  Too, it may provide a good starting point for locating and visiting relevant collections that may be accessible to you.

        There is a current exhibition, "KongoSpar" at the Etnografiska Museet in Stockholm:

        Also, a general undertaking which may be of interest is the Congo Project organized by the Nationalmuseet (National Museum) of Denmark in conjunction with the University in Lund.  According to the site, the project's "aim has been to promote a network of people with an interest in Europeans in Congo" through which to create a better insight into and understanding into the historical relationship between Scandinavia and the Congo, identifying and illuminating some of the less recognized historical interactions between Scandinavians and Congolese See http://congo.natmus.dk/english-congo-project.htm

        Additional relevant links from the Danish Nationalmuseet include:
        "Scandinavians in Congo Free State" from the Nationalmuseet (Denmark):
        Photos of the African Exhibitions at the Nationalmuseet (Denmark):
        including the Kjersmeier Collection:

        An additional broader, more general resource on African culture and history is the site of Nordiska Afrikainstutet, the Nordic Africa Institute, which can be accessed at:
        An included resource that may be quite helpful in research as you expand your offerings is the database of "Africanists in Nordic Countries": http://www.nai.uu.se/africanists/africanistseng.html

        There is much opportunity to develop the awareness of African culture and art in your region as well as to identify and promote the consideration of potentially rich and often overlooked Scandinavian collections through which to view African (especially Congolese) material culture and to access knowledge regarding African cultures and histories.  I hope you will find some of these links helpful in networking your interests with other interested persons and related endeavors in the region.

        Best, Lee
      • Claes Laasonen