Where can I find up to date exhibition agenda's on the internet?

  • Dawn Fox
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2005
      Dear group members,

      Does anyone know of an up to date list on internet of upcoming
      exhibitions on african antropology and art in museums etc.?

      I have posted this same question in the AfricanAntiques group, but so
      far no reply; perhaps you can help?

      Many thanks, happy new year! Dawn
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2005
        Hi Dawn and welcome to the group!

        I am not sure of a list on the Internet that is comprehensive and up to date to be honest with you.

        The calendar section on www.tribalarts.com usually has the most comprehensive list of events and exhibitions around the world, but as you probably know it is a little out of date.

        The publication Art Tribal (http://www.etribal.com/e/current_issue.php3) also publishes a pretty comprehensive list of exhibitions around the world that are up to date, but in the latest issue # 9 most of the exhibitions are ones that only run through the end of this year.

        I posted most of the calendar in message # 537 in this group, a direct link to the message can be found below:

        Or just go to the messages for the group:
        and type in “537” in the message search and it will take you to it. Most of the exhibitions, as I said, have already ended or are ending soon.

        Some events that I know of that are coming soon in the US :

        The San Francisco Tribal & Textile Arts Show
        February 10th - 12th, 2006 Fort Mason Center , San Francisco , CA

        and

        The New York International Tribal & Textile Arts Show
        May 20th - 23rd, 2006 The Seventh Regiment Armory, New York City

        Art Tribal also has a list of links to various museums around the world, some of the links don’t work but all you have to do if it doesn’t work when you open the link is to erase everything past the .com or .org to get to the root URL. It is a little bit of work, but you can go to each museum and look at their current exhibitions and future exhibitions. If I get a little time I will go through them and create a page on my website that contains a current and future list of exhibitions.

        Hope that helps a little,
        RAND
        www.randafricanart.com

        Dawn Fox <dawnfox1@...> wrote:
        Dear group members,

        Does anyone know of an up to date list on internet of upcoming
        exhibitions on african antropology and art in museums etc.?

        I have posted this same question in the AfricanAntiques group, but so
        far no reply; perhaps you can help?

        Many thanks, happy new year! Dawn

      • Alison Brierley
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2006

          Hi Dawn,

          Did you have any luck compliling a list of exhibitions/ auctions?  I have been scanning the internet but lots of 'calendars of events' seem to be a little outdated.

          I will be in Brussels from the 22 -26 February (06), do you know of anything special happening then?  I realise that the big African Art Fair in Germany is this week....if i'd have known......!!!

          I haven't had much joy timing my visits!!  I don't browse my inbox, or surf the web, as much as i would like!!  We were was in Paris in January, and went to the new Quai Branly Museum, hoping to find it finished and packed with thousands of African objects.   It was still under construction, but some of the pieces are on display in the Louvre.  We still had a fantastic time though, Paris is very impressive.

          Hope you can help!!

          Ali

          Alison Brierley

          From: "Dawn Fox" <dawnfox1@...>
          To: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [African_Arts] Where can I find up to date exhibition agenda's on the internet?
          Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:12:29 -0000

          Dear group members,

          Does anyone know of an up to date list on internet of upcoming
          exhibitions on african antropology and art in museums etc.?

          I have posted this same question in the AfricanAntiques group, but so
          far no reply; perhaps you can help?

          Many thanks, happy new year! Dawn

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS