African maternity figures - African mothers... a little online exhibition

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hi group,

      Last night when I couldn't sleep I decided that I would put some pages together with various examples and information on maternity figures in African art, and art that deals with mothers and the mother/child relationship in African art.

      There were a couple of inspirations behind this, it started from a conversation I had with a woman here in the US that had adopted a child from Sierra Leone recently and she was trying to gather examples and information of various types of objects and art from Sierra Leone so she could teach her son about his traditional culture as he grew up here in the US.

      That conversation caused me to look closer at the maternity figures and art that dealt with mothers in African art that I had in my collection which then caused me to break out a few books and start reading.

      This is what happens when I don't sleep very well, I stay up and put together pages like this on my website. I will probably constantly add to the pages with additional examples and information as I come across them. I have put together quite a few examples, some from my collection, some from other people's collections and others from books and online sources.

      If you have a maternity figure in your collection that you would like to share with others and have it in this little online exhibition, just send me an email with a photograph and information and I'd be happy to add it!

      African maternity figures - African mothers
      Maternity figures are often wonderfully expressive and beautiful,
      but the meanings behind some of them will interest you even more!

      Click below to go to the main page:

    • cathywinsor
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
        Hi,I've just posted a couple photos of my Afo maternity figure
        (cathy_davis photos)
        Cathy