Some depth given to the Borana Milk Containers

  • t_ime_factor
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2005
      Artificial things can be characterized in terms of functions and
      goals (Simon 1996, 5), and artifacts are often identified by sortal
      descriptions which refer to their intended function.

      Nomads and pastoralists have taken the elements from their
      environment and by combining these natural elements have created the
      tools they require to function and survive.

      They display these elements in such a way in their creation so when
      they view and touch a tool, their hopes dreams, beliefs, and worship
      reflect, all they mean towards one another as a family and as a
      tribe.

      There are those who with experience can best state the essence of a
      Tribe or People in Africa and to understand their past one must take
      a look at their future. The writing of such eloquent minds that you
      read below help open up our eyes so when we then view and touch an
      object of use, we can appreciate!

      "POISED TO FACE GEAT CHANGES"
      "Although once inward looking, the Boran and their political leaders
      have now come to realize that the outside world is encroaching on
      their way of life. They have seen key spiritual sites lost to
      farmers and refugees who had fled from the former regime relocated
      onto their lands after its overthrow in 1991.
      Anthropologist Dr. Marco Bassi says it is the loss of two key dry-
      session grazing lands to farmers that is now posing the greatest
      threat to the pastoralists. " These were areas where they moved the
      cattle when there is less rain. How that this is lost completely
      taken by agriculture-the system has basically collapsed.
      The natural resource management system is at the edge of total
      collapse,"he warned. He says this is the why the Gaddaa-essentially
      their government system-is turning outwards in an effort to and
      resolve the problem created the growing influx of agriculturists
      that is affecting their lives. They realize if they don't do it now,
      then they are: The Borana livelihood system is finished," added
      Bassi, who has spent the last 20 years studying the Borana, and
      three years living amongst them."

      Just to make myself clear I am not political nor do I wish to
      discuss politics but I am truly interested in the Borana / Oromo and
      their culture. To live as they must and have for centuries is so
      representative with the tools and their thoughts and emotions that
      are within them.

      I am not a big time store nor a collector of extreme African
      Artifacts but I do appreciate when ever I come across an object of
      use where the skill is unique to my western eyes. I do believe that
      others would appreciate the same. I like learning about your world
      of joys for through the Chi-Cho Africa has been introduced to me.