Re: [African_Arts] Oh...and about mounting pieces.

  • Ed JONES
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2005
      Hello James.

      I am sorry, but I don't know of any links for mounting
      art pieces, however, I can provide a simple opinion.

      The subject of mounting ethnographic is interesting
      and perhaps a bit subjective as well as personal. I
      have seen valuable art piled and stacked with very
      little regard (or seemingly respect) for it's worth.
      That's the way much of it is "field collected" and
      exported through customs. I won't mention what
      customs may do ...

      What I may deem as worthy of tedious and prudent care,
      may not necessarily be the standard among all
      enthusiasts.

      Furthermore, I generally have little problem mounting
      most of my art (masks and doors). In fact, I have
      drilled small pilot holes in some masks to accommodate
      the custom stands designed to display the particular
      piece. The idea in mind is to minimize damage, yet
      bring the piece to aesthetic appeal, hence the reason
      for mounting (as I see it). On the other hand, I have
      friends that would not dare drill a hole, set a screw,
      or "damage" in object in any way- for whatever reason.
      The value and reverence obviously far exceeds mine,
      and I do have many "worthy pieces".

      Anyway, I think a balance is achievable with respect
      to mounting art and maintaining the value and not
      causing harm. Much of it will depend on you and your
      perspective. I am willing to provide you a photo or 2
      if you like.

      Kind regards!
      ED

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21, 2005
        Hi James,
        I know there are a few good custom stand/mount makers around the country and there are a few places that make nice ready made mounts/stands that will work for most objects.

        A lot of objects are mounted on metal or wooden bases with a post sticking up and the post is inserted into a hole in the foot or base of an object. Some people don’t mind this mounting method and some people hate it. A good custom mount maker can usually make a mount that does not require drilling but it all depends on the object and the client’s thoughts.

        I don’t know if it ruins the value of the object to drill a hole in the bottom for mounting, people have different thoughts about this. I have mounts for objects that are done both ways, and to me the value of having a nice custom mount to display something nicely that I would otherwise have a hard time displaying properly is a value add even if a small hole had to be drilled.

        Brightpath has a nice selection of mask and helmet mask stands that are pre-made

        If you are looking for someone to make custom mounts and stands for objects I have someone in Denver that does a fantastic job at making great mounts/stands for anything you give him. I created a page for him on my website and it’s linked below.

        RAND