Neuberger...

  • LRubinstein@post.harvard.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2005

      Not so long after my visit to the SMA Fathers Museum, I found myself sojourning in Westchester County (NY) and made my way to yet another outstanding regional resource for viewing and appreciating African art.  While recently visiting the very fine African collection at the Neuberger Museum in Purchase, NY (on the SUNY campus), I encountered Marie-Therese Brincard as she was placing the information cards onto the display which holds a newly installed display of Ethiopian crosses in the African gallery and had the wonderful opportunity to have her explicate some of the details regarding the crosses, a tradition of which I know almost nothing!  So what a great and memorable introduction to yet another African artistic tradition.

       Marie-Therese Brincard is the editor of "The Art of Metal in Africa" and served as the Curatorial Advisor and editor of the Exhibition Catalogue for last year's "The Power of Bronze:  Royal Sculpture from the Kingdom of Benin," which featured -- impressively -- actual demonstrations of lost wax brass casting in conjunction with the Exhibition.  http://www.artdaily.com/section/news/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=12052

      For those of you in or traveling through the Greater NYC area, the Neuberger Museum (www.neuberger.org) is a "must" if you have a chance to run up to Westchester County. The small installation of Ethiopian Crosses in metal and ebony -- a total of six, I believe, adds to an already impressive display of works from the Museum's Permanent Collection of African Art.   Among the constituent former collections the Neuberger holds and prominently displays is that of Lawrence Gussman, who divided his magnificent collection among the Smithsonian/NMAfA, the Israel Museum and the Neuberger.  His bequest to the Neuberger included the rare and beautiful Fang Ngombi, the stringed instrument that is on the cover of "A Personal Journey:  Central African Art from the Lawrence Gussman Collection."  Other figures from the Gussman Collection include two Fang Eyema Bieri figures -- one of the Ntumu style from Equatorial Guinea with delicate detail and the other, an unctuous, dripping figure from Gabon that continues to expel the libations that were showered upon it decades ago...  as well as a Hemba singiti, A Yoruba Oshe Shango, a Yoruba Ere Ibeji, a Fang 4-headed horn, a Tsogo gong, a Chopi cup, Luba and Tsongo headrests, an exquisite Kuba bowl, Shona snuff containers and a Kuba Ngady a Mwaash.

      Other objects on display -- many from the Aimee and Eliot Hirshberg and the Frieda and Milton F. Rosenthal Collections -- that make a visit well worth-while include a bold and beautiful Senufo Kponyugu, Mossi Wan-balinga and Karanga masks, a fine group of Tyi Waras, A Bobo Nwenke, a Bangua Ateu Atsa Commemorative Portrait Figure, a Dan Wakemia ceremonial spoon, a gorgeous Egungun costume as well as a magnificent Epa mask carved by Bamgboye, remarkable small figures from the Bembe, the Kasingo, Luba and Tabwa...all of remarkable beauty...and more!

      Incidentally, through the first week of January, the Neuberger is also presenting two exhibitions of works by Jim Dine -- which I mention only because they include two works that may be of interest as they have African art related themes:  1)  "The Continents (Red Dancers on the Western Shore)" (Africa) and 2) "The James Kirsch Postcard" (which happens to be an image of the famous 14th c. Tada Bronze Seated Figure).