To Jeremy - what to do?

  • rschust
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2013
      To Jeremy and African Arts Group,
      I realize my suggestion may be incompatible with the usual what-is-it-worth, how-can-I-sell-it focus.
      But if this is truly a unique 1,000+ piece collection of diverse Lega items collected in situ over a period of time, this creates a real opportunity to give something back. I would try to find a donor who would buy the whole thing and agree to set up a small museum somewhere in Rwanda. This should be not for tourists but for educational purposes in a location populated mainly by Lega people.

      Richard Schuster

      --
      Currently  in Israel:

      In Israel:
      Emeritus, Dept of Psychology
      University of Haifa
      Haifa 31905
      Tel: 077-7825306
      Cell: 050-7332323

      In the US:
      1742 Grant Ave
      East Meadow, NY 11554
      Tel.: 516-750-5335
      Cell: 646-894-4904

    • jeremy lester
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2013
        Dear Richard,
        the establishment of a small museum is certainly an attractive idea. There are doubtless Lega intellectuals who might support it.
        The challenges are considerable.
        The cost of a museum in terms of  building, fitting, maintenance is high, even were the entire collection to be a gift.
        Museums in Africa present further specific challenges. There are few which manage to be sustainable. Perhaps the 'African renaissance' may make such museums more realistic?
        In this case, security is a major concern. The Lega people live in South Kivu, a deeply troubled part of the DRCongo. So troubled that very few Western researchers have been there in the last couple of decades and the work of Daniel Biebuyck in the 50s remains a primary reference.
        Climate is perhaps less of a problem for wood than for some other materials.
        Bukavu would be the closest significant town to consider for a museum. Across the border in Rwanda, Cyangugu or Butare might offer alternatives.
        All in all, the museum option is pretty daunting, so it is for this reason that I take the liberty of replying with 'copy to all'. Should anyone have experience in the field of museums and conservation in Africa, I would be pleased to hear more.

        Jeremy Lester

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24, 2014
          Dear colleagues,
          Some of you kindly gave suggestions when I asked about disposal of a substantial art collection, mainly of Lega items.
          I would like to explain what in the end I have done.
          A first initiative was to give a piece to each of the 70 members of the Africa Department of the European External Action Service. Now, in many of the offices can be found something either decorative, or which once was a Kindi artefact in the Lega clearings in the forests of Kivu.
          The second initiative was to give the remainder of the collection to Oxfam Solidarité. Oxfam Solidarité is the Belgian section of Oxfam International. They use Ebay to sell material, and have just begun to sell items from 'my' collection:

          http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Masque-traditionnel-Sud-Kivu-/281249429350?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

          http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Chapeau-avec-plumes-Sud-Kivu-/281249420949?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

          They do not always present things in a very professional way, but you may find some gems if you follow their sales over the coming months.

          With my warm regards,

          Jeremy Lester