African Bangles bought in northern Ghana in the late sixties

  • sturm
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2013
      Dear African Arts Friends,

      In the late 1960ies I visited northern Ghana. I believe it was Bolgatanga, where I bought quite a number of different bangles, mostly out of brass or some other yellow metal or silvery metal, stone and ivory. It took me decades to look at them again and to take some photographs in order to present them to the African Arts group of Yahoo. I guess all these bangles are genuine and the variety is very interesting. But I have no idea what the ideas are behind these bangles (is bangles the correct name at all???), were they meant as jewelry/decoration? Partly they are quite heavy, partly in two halves, especially the silvery ones. Are they of any value?

      I have posted quite a few photographs under "African Bangles":

      I would appreciate comments of any kind.

      With kind regards,

      Rainer Sturm

    • Aaron Weston
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2013