Re: Need help to identify the pieces

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2013
      While "Object 1" is difficult to discern, "Object 2" is a carved, painted portrayal of Ivoirian Guro [Gouro) zamblé masquerade.

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "vadimkorifidis" <vadimkorifidis@...> wrote:

      > Recently purchased 2 objects from a dealer, previously been in collection of deceased collector. No clue of country of origin nor tribe.
      > If someone would share his/ her opinion , would be great

    • Veronique Martelliere
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12, 2013
        The intention of the artisan might have been to carve an Igbo Ikenga - ?

        --- In mailto:African_Arts%40yahoogroups.com, "vadimkorifidis" <vadimkorifidis@...> wrote:

        > Recently purchased 2 objects from a dealer, previously been in collection of deceased collector. No clue of country of origin nor tribe.
        > If someone would share his/ her opinion , would be great

      • aa.artemenko
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2013
          Hi the first strongly reminds me of an Ikenga figure from the Igbo tribe in Nigeria; although it seems rather been made for tourists than for the cult.

          The second i agree with Lee but unusal tosee a masked figure from the Guro!

          Cheers

          Andreas